The Pursuit Of Happiness As An English Teacher And Father......

sirchai

Again, I think that my posts are being read wrong.

First of all I was defending Scott's and Sirichai's situations. I wasn't on a "soap box" I was empathizing with their situations. I don't think that the Thai system is the best and in no way was I defending it but just stating that these issues are faced by teachers in all countries. Inclusion is a difficult thing but it is a mandate from the US board of education from the states that I have taught in.

I too know the difficulty dealing with students who have behavioral, emotional and mental disorders. I once had a student who set his sister on fire and then had to teach them both in the same class. Because he did it afterschool, there was nothing that we could do. I have taught in the US and have worked with emotionally unstable students for over 8 years in the states. It is not a Thai problem even in the US they don't always know what to do. I have worked for many years in Thailand have had some success with different private schools to train teachers and to start special needs programs. It is slow coming but after teaching in Japan, Korea and China which have a lot more money from schools, they still seem to avoid these problems also. I just don't find the problem unique to Thailand. I do find it a struggle and a battle but I have seen progress and will continue to promote healthy classrooms and teaching practices. My overall point was instead of labelling people as retards and just saying that they shouldn't be in a classroom, getting training and having resources would do a lot more good for us as teachers and for all of the students. Because in my experience these problem students can and do add a lot to a classroom if they are assisted. I had one student that had serious disabilities but his classmates loved him completely and enjoyed the strengths that he possessed.

My objection was the use of the word "retard" I have family members and friends that suffer from different things from down syndrome, to MS. to OCC. I find it totally offensive to use the word retard referring to those people. But I guess you call it PC when I just call it humane. I find it ironic when people who are senstitive to words that are derogatory towards homosexuals or racial slurs, still use the word "retard". If this was a verbal conversation and not written forum, in the US you would be on suspension for using the word retard reffering to the students with disabilities. Like I said, I was guilty of this too a long time ago but learned to change.

As for Thai teacher's methodologies, I too agree with both Scott and Sirichai overall for the traditional teacher. All of the schools in Asia I have worked at have had similar problems. I have had slightly different experiences personally though because many of colleagues have gone through a lot of training seminars to adapt to a more student centered approach. Overall the veteran teachers find it hard to change don't fully get it though and often do the lecture based dogmatic lessons.

I got out of the poor government schools because it is harder to work in that system. Private schools or government schools with proper funding or principles with a more modern approach are easier to work with. But trust me there are other problems too.

My point about knowing what teachers do wasn't just singleing Scott but for all of us. We often make judgements with little empiracal evidence. Stereyotypes may or may not be 100% accurate but overall how often do we actually observe other teachers for entire lessons? I wasn't scapegoating anyone but just pointing out that even I make these judgements over the entire system when I only know the limited places that I have worked at. Judging 100,000's of teachers and an entire system based on the few schools that we actually teach at may or may not be that accurate.

But overall I do agree that what both Scott and Sirichai is the typical style and problems that are faced in schools. However, in the 12 years I have taught, I have seen a lot of positive changes. As a parent I am also concerned with some of the old methods. It is nice that they finally outlawed beating children, though it does seem inneffective to stop the problem. One school I taught at actually banned cell phones so students couldn't record when/if teachers beat students. One student was poked by a teacher (foreigner) so many times that he had about 25 bruises on his chest and back. His parents complained and the teacher was reprimanded and sent home for half a day. The child was then expelled from the school and the teacher was back the next day. So yes, I do know the system and in no way defend it. I just work with the system that is in place and ensure that I try to do training and offer seminars that include approaches to dealing with situations.

Remember that since we are teaching at Thai schools we are in a sense part of the system so when we slagg on it, we are slagging on ourselves also. Working within difficult restrictions is what teachers of all countries need to do.

"How does one go about sparking these students' critical thinking abilities? Or correlating different logistical processes?"

I doubt that you actually care or want to know. If you are send me a private message and I will give a list of 3-4 books that will help you. I studied for 6 years in University, and have had 1000's of hours of training over the past 15 years. So there is no short and simple way to show you. But you can believe it isn't possible if you want.

Perhaps check out eudtopia.com There are some great things there from different charter and magnant schools. There is a way to balance the requirements of the MOE (which are usually absurd) and best teaching practices.

Again, I fully support Sirichai in his comments and issues with his son and as a teacher. I too have and do make a stand for my daughter. My only objection was the word that keeps being thrown about. It is not about being PC but just being humane.

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you gentlemen for coming back to your senses. Instead of jumping to pre-programmed responses to statements or words that create a sense of outrage in us, it is better for all concerned to keep our personal prejudices out of a discussion such as this because then we can step back and thoroughly analyze what is REALLY being said. Case in point: "How does one go about sparking these students' critical thinking abilities? Or correlating different logistical processes?" Yes it is a tremendously loaded statement and can be interpreted in many different ways. I couched it in such a fashion in order to bait those individuals who are so sensitive when it comes to certain "slips"; i.e. "retard". Read it again carefully instead of just bulldozing your way through it. This is what is wrong with all of us....we are so quick to jump to conclusions.

So Zeichen....why don't you share those books with all of us instead of sending them only to me? I am very sincere in asking my question and I do know ,in my own extremely limited way, how to elicit the aforementioned responses from these students but it has been extremely slow in coming to fruition. Education to me is the Holy Grail....all other human endeavors pale before education because all things come from education. I was an engineer in the States and worked in some extremely dangerous conditions at times. I never felt any fear at those times. But when I made the decision to transition to teaching I was scared. Very scared.......because I didn't think I could measure up to "Teacher". And now I realize that there are some very real problems with classically trained teachers because they are all too quick to use their education and training to brow beat students and parents into submission. I never thought I could measure up to being a teacher.

If you are a parent (teacher), you get the greatest OJT the world could ever give you on how to deal with all things human. I thought, because I never received any training/education on how to be a "teacher", I could never be an educator. I know better now. I have my scars....and there is a blood trail that follows me. I am ALWAYS searching for ways to improve my abilities so I can be the best Coach I can be....I don't desire to be a "teacher". Teachers never helped me to become an engineer.....my Coaches did...there is a substantial difference. I hated math because, until I went to college, I was never taught about how I learn. Parents/teachers need to understand the type of learners their young charges are and how best to enable the learning process. I have conducted independent research on most of my students and have found a large percentage of them to be visual/kinesthetic learners.....like I am. I'm not trumpeting my own horn. This is the only reason I have learned (the hard way) how to ignite the learning process in my students. It should be a mandatory practice, at least for foreign teachers, to classify their students in order to better scaffold their lessons in each class. So please share anything you can with all of us because it just may be the catalyst we need to make the changes in ourselves and our environment. We are better equipped to facilitate these changes than our young charges. It can and does work....there is a school with an Englishman here in Phitsanulok where this is taking place. It is a marvel to behold and I want to pattern myself after him.

Instead of beating ourselves up and getting caught in the semantics of what is being said, please take a step back and see if we can be a part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

N'est pas?

http://lyceumbooks.com/pdf/howtoteacheffectively_typesoflearners.pdf

http://www.learningrx.com/types-of-learning-styles-faq.htm

• Like 2

To all of you.

Please reconsider whether it is just being too PC or damaging to lable a child and call him a retard continually. I contend that it is damaging to him and also justifies poor handling.

I am sure everyone is doing their best, but I constantly see here blaming the child for the fact that it is not really possible to handle the situation with the available resources. Not the childs fault.

You may call the system retarded but please do not call the child that.

There are many reasons why such labelling would mean the immediate suspension of a teacher doing so in many countries.

Words may be just words but what they do to people can be more than that.

• Like 1

I don't know any farang teachers that would call a child retarded. I know a few who had called a child stupid and they have been punished for it.

There are some students who are very frustrating to deal with, but the vast majority of teachers still want the best for them.

When I have a problem student, I try to think of them as 'ugly ducklings', and over the years I've seen quite a few turn into swans.

• Like 1

I don't know any farang teachers that would call a child retarded. I know a few who had called a child stupid and they have been punished for it.

There are some students who are very frustrating to deal with, but the vast majority of teachers still want the best for them.

When I have a problem student, I try to think of them as 'ugly ducklings', and over the years I've seen quite a few turn into swans.

Someone who is retarded is much less advanced mentally than most people of their age. (OLD-FASHIONED)

I'd used this word for kids with a serious mental disorder, who shouldn't be in a normal class. If kids are threatening a teacher with a wooden chair, or other weapons, others jumping from a wardrobe on a table, then from desk to desk, acting like an animal should be called what then?

Some of them look like 12, their real age, but they act like a five year old. Which short word would you use to explain, what you're talking about, when trying to explain that to a friend? Or to a TV forum member.....

So to make a long story short. I really love all my kids, even those with a mental disorder.Nine out of 340 students are on Haldol, a strong pharmaceutical drug.One boy had several electroshock therapies, that were not successful.

Please see link: http://whatmeds.stanford.edu/medications/haloperidol.html

The shit only hits the fan, when they forget to take their medication. With medication ,they're pretty similar to robots.

Another reason why we're facing so many problems with our kids,but the Thai teachers as well, might be that our school is not an Anuban, where people have to pay for the good name, like paying for the brand of a pair of jeans. Also poor people can send their kids to our school.

What I'm trying to say is, that I'd never seen so many difficult to educate individuals at one school. It's also in other levels, as I sometimes have to teach other grades.

Some of them are only physically in the classroom and do whatever they want to. I believe to a certain extend that retarded kids are seen in most countries, but separated from "normal" (difficult definition who's normal, I know) students.

We all have our point of view, and it was never my intention to say something bad about Thai kids. My family here is Thai as well, And from year to year I've got the feeling that people who're bashing about Thais, are also bashing about me.

Unfortunately, it's great to see/read the responses and we all might learn from each other, as there's only one world we're living in.

IIf that leads us to be better, psychological trained educators,with the ability to differentiate between not normal human behaviour, then it's a good deed for all involved.

Let's look forward to a good weekend and to answers of so many questions. Will face many retarded drivers in about an hour, when driving home.

Oh, sorry, didn't mean it. Wanted to say drivers without the ability to drive a vehicle, without causing serious damages to others.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

"Will face many retarded drivers in about an hour, when driving home."

Now, that is when I do use the word retarded. When discussing people that do totally ridiculous things or administration that make policies that are counterproductive or when you see someone licking electrical outlets.

Scott and Sirichai

I do empathize with you and appreciate your posts.

• Like 2

Now this is the way to achieve a quorum. I love it guys. Don't take it personally and try to extend our comprehension of what someone actually means when they use particular terminology.

"Wanted to say drivers without the ability to drive a vehicle, without causing serious damages to others" = retarded=unaware=inept=unthinking=lost=need our help.

Retard has evolved from the dictionary definition.

It now more accurately means:

1/ A derogatory description for someone who is severely mentally handicapped.

2/ A derogatory description for someone who has done, or frequently does, something perceived as stupid by the person speaking.

3/ To become extremely intoxicated.

Personally I might describe a politician or a driver etc as a retard, particularly if I was annoyed/angry/frustrated, and discussing the topic with friends.

I might also describe a student who was frequently doing stupid things as a retard, if I was annoyed/frustrated/angry with them and discussing the topic (or sympathizing with someone).

But I don't think I'd call a student who was actually mentally handicapped,a retard. Definitely not within their hearing, definitely not to people I don't know well and it'd even be reasonably unlikely that I'd even say that about them to a colleague, unless I was really pissed off / angry (or sympathizing with someone who said it first).

Personally I just think it's kinda mean to say that about them, that's the sort of area even most bullies won't venture into. As it's really offensive and very personal.

Usually I am someone who is very open minded, and very tolerant of expressions which other people might say (I'm often amazed at what some people find offensive, and really do think they need to harden up).

However if I saw someone calling a genuinely handicapped kid a retard, within their hearing, I would intervene.

On an informal Internet forum like TV, I'm simply going to think "hmm... This guy must be really frustrated/pissed off, I hope he can keep himself in check when he's at school"

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Here's the TV 7 link. Video and their certificates will be send in a few days. Will upload the semi final skit from Mukdahan

.http://news.ch7.com/detail/62088/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B0%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A7%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A0%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A4%E0%B8%A9.html

They really received heavy gold medals...unfortunately just "coated" with real gold. But it looks good.

Wear it know with a big chain around my neck.

Enjoy your weekend, can be shorter than expected. -wai2.gif

• Like 1

Unable to load the link at this time Sirchai.....check again later. THX.

Link works, but it's just a short description in Thai. I'm uploading the version of the semi final competition, where the hosting school had won the first place. Our son's team only second.

Same school who'd won in Mukdahan, had only achieved the 12th place in Bangkok. Guess we all know why the hosting school usually win.

Will post the youtube link in a few hours, worth to watch it. They're not allowed to make a film in Bangkok and confiscated all phones, cams etc..

But they'll send the movie to Sisaket soon, together with the certificates. wai2.gif

Retard has evolved from the dictionary definition.

It now more accurately means:

1/ A derogatory description for someone who is severely mentally handicapped.

2/ A derogatory description for someone who has done, or frequently does, something perceived as stupid by the person speaking.

3/ To become extremely intoxicated.

Personally I might describe a politician or a driver etc as a retard, particularly if I was annoyed/angry/frustrated, and discussing the topic with friends.

I might also describe a student who was frequently doing stupid things as a retard, if I was annoyed/frustrated/angry with them and discussing the topic (or sympathizing with someone).

But I don't think I'd call a student who was actually mentally handicapped,a retard. Definitely not within their hearing, definitely not to people I don't know well and it'd even be reasonably unlikely that I'd even say that about them to a colleague, unless I was really pissed off / angry (or sympathizing with someone who said it first).

Personally I just think it's kinda mean to say that about them, that's the sort of area even most bullies won't venture into. As it's really offensive and very personal.

Usually I am someone who is very open minded, and very tolerant of expressions which other people might say (I'm often amazed at what some people find offensive, and really do think they need to harden up).

However if I saw someone calling a genuinely handicapped kid a retard, within their hearing, I would intervene.

On an informal Internet forum like TV, I'm simply going to think "hmm... This guy must be really frustrated/pissed off, I hope he can keep himself in check when he's at school"

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I have to admit that I'm sometimes really pissed off and frustrated as our Thai colleagues, in particular the home room teachers don't even try to calm them down,when I'm facing such difficulties.

They believe that foreigners, working as teachers here should be able to deal with all eventually upcoming situations, Not a problem for me.

They usually hit them, which is another reason for some of the kids' behavioral problems.

As already mentioned a few times, I'd used this bad word in this forum and would never ever make such a statement to students, Thai colleagues, etc. .

Okay, the system is completely retarded, not the kids.But still then, it's possible to win such a competition, And that's what it's all about.

Please see attached photos.-wai2.gif

post-108180-0-05496000-1393056229_thumb.

post-108180-0-30965400-1393056238_thumb.

post-108180-0-56162900-1393056245_thumb.

post-108180-0-90285100-1393056251_thumb.

post-108180-0-42443600-1393056256_thumb.

post-108180-0-38133500-1393056260_thumb.

post-108180-0-28603400-1393056267_thumb.

post-108180-0-22309500-1393056387_thumb.

post-108180-0-92934700-1393056487_thumb.

post-108180-0-58244900-1393056585_thumb.

post-108180-0-92258300-1393056679_thumb.

post-108180-0-06988300-1393056793_thumb.

post-108180-0-21797200-1393056907_thumb.

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

There are dictionary definitions of 'retard' and 'retarded', and their urban dictionary meaning changes over time.

But certainly in the UK, to call someone a retard is very offensive. You could find yourself in court and possibly jailed or fined for 'hate speech'.

To say that they are retarded is less offensive, but still rather blunt in speech.

IMHO, words like 'retard' and 'stupid' have absolutely no place in the classroom or staffroom. There are better and more accurate words that can be used to describe a person's intellect or personality.

Simon

There are dictionary definitions of 'retard' and 'retarded', and their urban dictionary meaning changes over time.

But certainly in the UK, to call someone a retard is very offensive. You could find yourself in court and possibly jailed or fined for 'hate speech'.

To say that they are retarded is less offensive, but still rather blunt in speech.

IMHO, words like 'retard' and 'stupid' have absolutely no place in the classroom or staffroom. There are better and more accurate words that can be used to describe a person's intellect or personality.

Simon

None of us are advocating using this term in class or any other open forum. Using it here is a different story. read through the posts and you'll see everyone is on the same page in that respect.

• Like 1

Simon

None of us are advocating using this term in class or any other open forum. Using it here is a different story. read through the posts and you'll see everyone is on the same page in that respect.

Posts on Thai Visa are open to the world to read.

Why should it be used as a place to denigrate students with disabilities?

Simon

Retarded Better Than :????????????????

1. A few clowns short of a circus In Surin.

2. A few fries short of a Happy Meal with Papaya salad.

3. An experiment in Artificial Not knowing anything about how to slaughter a pig, but being a butcher from Sisaket..

4. A few beers short of a six-packof Archa beer, bought at Sisaket's best place. Right after the ESSO on the main road.

5. Less developed than a box of hair, sitting on a Samlo in Buri Ram.

6. A few peas short of a casserole that never wants.

7. Doesn't have all his Somtham in one mortar..

8. The wheel's spinning, but the hamster from "Tanonn Kundaee' is dead.

9. Couple of Fruit Loops shy of a full bowl. But no gasoline to get home.

10.One taco short of a combination plate at a restaurant in the center of Sisaket.

11. A few feathers short of a whole duck at MK in Ubon Ratchathani.

12. All foam, no beer. Short of Archa from "Nong Mek".

13. The cheese slid off his cracker. Can happen when going to see the guys at the market in Roi Et.

14. Body by Fisher, brains by Mattel.

15. Has an IQ of 2, but it takes 3 to grunt. But some citizens of Uthumphon Phisai, Sisaket province, pretend to know that it's not true.

16. Warning: Objects in mirror are dumber than they appear. Could be an "airborne motorcycle", near Uthumphon, where a stunt was done and hit my truck.

17. He fell out of the Not knowing tree and hit every branch on the way down. Good news is that it was the Lord's enlightenment tree.

18. An intellect rivaled only by garden tools. There'll be a time when people call my Kubota a garden tool.

19.As smart as bait.And as fast as a snail.

20. Chimney's clogged. No Santa.

21. .Doesn't have all his dogs on one leash.They don't want him either.

22. Doesn't know much but leads the league in nostril hair. And they make dreadlocks in Rasi Salai.

23. Elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor. Doesn't have to. Already on top.

24. Forgot to pay his brain bill. And the electricity and water bill. As usual.

25. Her sewing machine's out of thread. Because it worked last year.

26. His antenna doesn't pick up all the channels. Because there are no mountains in sight.

27. His belt doesn't go through all the loops. Better, as it wouldn't be good for Somchai.

28. If he had another brain, it would be lonely. Mine wouldn't fit.

29.Missing a few buttons on his remote control.But we stand up and do it.

30.No grain in the silo. But rotten rice nobody wants to pay for.

31.Proof that evolution CAN go in reverse. And Noi had a baby without having sex before.

32. Receiver is off the hook. But sometimes on jaba, at the market of Yang Chum Noi.

33. Skylight leaks a little. And the moon became bankrupt.

34.Several nuts short of a full pouch. But some hamsters on their way from Washington D.C.

35. Slinky's kinked. And lonely at the train station in Bangkok.

36. Surfing in Nebraskan ,Sisaket and Alaska.

37. Too much yardage between the goal posts. Sisaket FC had moved them, b ut they don't remember where to.

38. A couple of sandwiches short of a picnic. Not enough red ants to replace vinegar, to make Somtahm in "Ban Kraja."

39. Nice house; no one's home. But the buffaloes will greet you.

40. He couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the directions were

written on the heel. Because the rainy season didn't come.

41: Not a suitable member of TVF.-w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

Looks like a fun time. Your son, I assume, is quite tall and looks very mature. Looks more like 14-15. Congrats on the day and I am glad that you were there to support him.

Dear Zeichen,

M.3 students are usually 15, or 16 years old. Our son's birthday is on October 15th, when he turns 16.

Shows that you didn't even read what it was all about. Our son's victory against a corrupt system, a foreigner only involved in making this happen, not his teaching ability, or any theoretical stuff, that only works in conversations.

Nor was it about retarded people in general.

When will you forward all the materiel you had sent to only one member on this so nice forum? Would be nice to read those books soon and discuss them in a different forum.

Life's too short to waste time.-wai.gif

• Like 2

Simon

Why do so many people all around the world eat junk food? Knowing all the dangers that come with it, or maybe not? Posts here are open to the world? Hopefully to those who call their schools World Class Standard. as almost none of them understands it. Nor do I.

Welcome to the Land Of Why's.-wai2.gif

Simon

Retarded Better Than :????????????????

3. An experiment in Artificial Not knowing anything about how to slaughter a pig, but being a butcher from Sisaket..

4. A few beers short of a six-packof Archa beer, bought at Sisaket's best place. Right after the ESSO on the main road.

10.One taco short of a combination plate at a restaurant in the center of Sisaket.

13. The cheese slid off his cracker. Can happen when going to see the guys at the market in Roi Et.

15. Has an IQ of 2, but it takes 3 to grunt. But some citizens of Uthumphon Phisai, Sisaket province, pretend to know that it's not true.

16. Warning: Objects in mirror are dumber than they appear. Could be an "airborne motorcycle", near Uthumphon, where a stunt was done and hit my truck.

17. He fell out of the Not knowing tree and hit every branch on the way down. Good news is that it was the Lord's enlightenment tree.

18. An intellect rivaled only by garden tools. There'll be a time when people call my Kubota a garden tool.

22. Doesn't know much but leads the league in nostril hair. And they make dreadlocks in Rasi Salai.

23. Elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor. Doesn't have to. Already on top.

26. His antenna doesn't pick up all the channels. Because there are no mountains in sight.

27. His belt doesn't go through all the loops. Better, as it wouldn't be good for Somchai.

31.Proof that evolution CAN go in reverse. And Noi had a baby without having sex before.

32. Receiver is off the hook. But sometimes on jaba, at the market of Yang Chum Noi.

34.Several nuts short of a full pouch. But some hamsters on their way from Washington D.C.

37. Too much yardage between the goal posts. Sisaket FC had moved them, b ut they don't remember where to.

38. A couple of sandwiches short of a picnic. Not enough red ants to replace vinegar, to make Somtahm in "Ban Kraja."

41: Not a suitable member of TVF.-w00t.gif

I prefer the Thai term "mai tem baht". 1zgarz5.gif

Simon

So where do we discuss it then, here? blink.png

• Like 2

" M.3 students are usually 15, or 16 years old. Our son's birthday is on October 15th, when he turns 16.

Shows that you didn't even read what it was all about"

The OP was 2-3 days ago, I cannot remember everything. I thought you said that he was M1, so sorry to offend you.

besides M3 students is equivalent to grade 9 in the states and at the schools I have worked at the kids are around 14 years old in M3 at m6 they are 18. If kids are 16 in m3 they would be 19 when they graduated instead of the standard 18. Perhaps that is normal where you are but I don't think it is standard.

I personally don't understand how my compliment and admiration would be used for fodder for more quips. Good luck with that.

Actually, some of those are quite funny :)

But 'retard' is not that funny (IMHO), as least not in British English.

Put it another way, would you call a dark-skinned student a 'ni**er' or a co*n' on ThaiVisa? Hopefully not. 'He has the best suntan I've ever seen' will keep the PC crowd happy (maybe....)

Simon