Farmers cancel Suvarnabhumi Airport protest plan

webfact

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the Airport?

Because it has the precedent of closing down the country and causing a past government to fall.

in fairness, they were planning to park up in the long-stay field and had promised not to disrupt flights.

I wonder if they were given petrol money for the return trip home ?

that would have been cool to see. a sort of farm vehicle motor show, bring in a few monster trucks, charge 500 baht per head and it would be a good little bunse.

Thai rice farmers call off airport protest

AYUTTHAYA, February 21, 2014 (AFP) - Thousands of angry Thai rice farmers called off a threat to descend on Bangkok's main airport Friday in a rare reprieve for the embattled government after months of opposition street protests.

A convoy of tractor-riding farmers had planned to head to Suvarnabhumi Airport unless they received a promise of payment under a rice subsidy scheme that has become a political nightmare for the government.

But they stopped north of Bangkok and agreed to return home after apparently reaching a deal with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's administration. Local media said they had been promised they would get their payments next week.

Thailand's tourist industry still has painful memories of 2008 when opposition protesters paralysed Bangkok's main airports, stranding thousands of travellers.

The rice subsidy scheme, which paid farmers up to 50 percent above market rates, helped to propel Yingluck to power in 2011 on a wave of support from supporters in the rural north and northeast.

But the flagship policy has now become a political liability with farmers demanding payment after the government ran short of cash to buy their pledged crops late last year.

"It's very hard for me and my family because this government owes me 350,000 baht ($10,700)," said Virat Pennapa, 43, a rice farmer from the central province of Uthai Thani who was part of the convoy.

"I have to pay for fertiliser, labour and daily expenses," he said. "I don't know when I can go back home. It depends on when we win."

The scheme has left the kingdom with a mountain of unsold rice after Thailand lost its competitiveness on international markets.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) has launched a probe into possible negligence of duty by Yingluck in connection with the rice policy -- a move that could potentially result in her removal from office and a five-year ban from politics.

Opposition protesters, who have set up stages and camps at various locations around the capital, accuse Yingluck's billionaire family of using public money to buy the loyalty of rural voters.

They want her to quit to allow a temporary unelected government to run the country and oversee loosely defined reforms such as anti-corruption measures.

Sixteen people have been killed and hundreds injured in street violence linked to opposition demonstrations.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-02-21

I have a feeling that they and their families back on the farms have been threatened to stop immediately by red thugs. Either that or they're the most trusting dullards on the face of God's earth.

My bet's on the first. ph34r.png

You seem to completely ignore the possibility that some money changed hands between govt and farmer protest leaders. Which would be the 1st thing to come to mind. This is Thailand.

• Like 1

Why the Airport?

AC is good and there is a good food court

Must have dawned on them belatedly then that there would be no way in which they could afford exorbitant airport prices as a result of not receiving any rice payments!

My Thai wife tells me that the farmers who have gone home are from Uthai Thani and that their leader, a MP from one of the smaller parties supporting the government organised the drive to Bangkok fully with the intention to con the people into thinking that they would descend on the Airport, but actually had no such intention. The going home bit is meant to send a message that "we the farmers trust our beloved leader and we know she would never lie to us'. My comment 'sad delusional fools!

Just get on with it Khun Suthep, My Thai family who are all professional people albeit not overly rich, are 100% with you. They are extremely confident that Khun Suthep will win the 'battle'. .

Anyone who is either 100% with Suthep or 100% with the Shinawatra clan is part of the problem. Never before has the slogan 'same same but different' rung so true.

This was staged. A very elaborate con-trick which explains why all the tractors were new. The tractors were part of the bribe, and they can now keep them down on the farm--a free gift for earning a Thai Bafta.

Dubai shenanigans know no bounds. What about the people who are hanging themselves or are unable to trek down from Isaan?

Disgusting and totally corrupt. What will be the next snake oil trick to save their skins?

Eddy

• Like 1

Anyone else find this really peculiar? They travel all the way from the Northern parts of Thailand on a tractor to bangkok and just like that they go back home. What makes this day so special that now Yingluck is telling to truth and now her promise is really going to be fulfilled?

I don't know but this feels really fishy to me. All that trouble to go to bangkok. A letter or an email would have sufficed.

Well you see, there's a little problem here: 1) To e-mail needs a tablet or similar form of computer availability. Unfortunately, after being promised, those forms of computer weren't delivered. 2) In the North, letters are rarely sent to parliament, and would otherwise be intercepted by the local red-shirt henchman or police bully, for a 500 baht payment from yours truly in Dubai. 3) One needs electricity to operate such a tablet, yet electricity bills can't be paid without earnings being paid, in due time. Again, payments have not been met upon delivery. 4) Who says they are going home? I wouldn't be going home from the home of my boss, if I hadn't been paid for 5 months.

Aye, it's fishy alright, but not when Yingluck claims she is telling the truth.

555 This thread is the most funny from days on...

Look how the mood of some poster (from both sides) change in totally opposite way, once farmers decided to cancel the protest.

Yesterday they were paladins of anti-government side, and despised from the ultra-pro-government.

Someone yesterday said they could be fake! And the pro Suthep:"You make lies because want to save your sided views!".

Today.... 555555555

Same things are said, but on totally opposite sides...

TVF, the best show in the world! Thanks to all of you guys smile.png I love you all! clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by newcomer71
  • Like 2

Mr. Chada Thaiseth, a former MP of Chart Thai Pattana Party, said he has personally consulted with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday about the farmers′ distress, and he has been assured by Ms. Yingluck that the rice payment would arrive by next week.

If he had a meeting with her yesterday how come it took until 11.20 this morning for the news to break that they were calling off their protest?

• Like 1

Well looks like they just got lied to again, right into their faces. And they still believe they're going to get paid by this government. I guess you can't blame the desperate for having hope. It's the same as buying a lottery ticket and hoping to strike it rich.

Nope. They were given a face saving way out of being used by Suthep.

The farmers have a legitimate gripe, but they realize that the government has done its utmost to get them their money. It doesn't take a genius to realize that Suthep has done everything he can to block their payment.

The rice farmers may not have much love for the government, but they are not about to help a group of thugs who ridicule them and that has the potential to hurt them more.

They came on their own accord. Like you said, they have a legitimate gripe.

Suthep never blocked their payment. The government lied to the farmers and their Hail Mary loan from GSB was called off because of the bank run to the tune of 100 billion baht and counting. That's almost as much as the amount they were going to lend the Shins in the first place. You going to blame Suthep for that too?

They may not want to help hurt the government but it seems the lying Shinawatras don't seem to want to return the favor. In 6 weeks, when they're not paid again, they'll be back and this time they'll shut the airport for sure. Even the nicest people aren't going to allow themselves to be screwed that many times.

Edited by TVGerry

Well looks like they just got lied to again, right into their faces. And they still believe they're going to get paid by this government. I guess you can't blame the desperate for having hope. It's the same as buying a lottery ticket and hoping to strike it rich.

The farmers have a legitimate gripe, but they realize that the government has done its utmost to get them their money. It doesn't take a genius to realize that Suthep has done everything he can to block their payment.

The rice farmers may not have much love for the government, but they are not about to help a group of thugs who ridicule them and that has the potential to hurt them more.

Suthep never blocked their payment. The government lied to the farmers and their Hail Mary loan from GSB was called off because of the bank run to the tune of 100 billion baht and counting. That's almost as much as the amount they were going to lend the Shins in the first place. You going to blame Suthep for that too?

They may not want to help hurt the government but it seems the lying Shinawatras don't seem to want to return the favor. In 6 weeks, when they're not paid again, they'll be back and this time they'll shut the airport for sure. Even the nicest people aren't going to allow themselves to be screwed that many times.

Move along now G nothing to see here,

Get your hopes up again tomorrow, okay? thumbsup.gif

How many will be bored when this conflict is over?

Either some heavy threats or heavy bribes...or both, to make them turn around....

I would say neither - you obviously do not know farmers, they will and do put up with anything. But threats no chance, as for bribes what was the figure quoted 130Bn Tb owing?

Now if Mr T wanted to make a comeback - just how deep are his pockets?

Watch this space .... Amazing Thailand

that was the game from the beginning by Suthep , blocking everything by any means so payments / elections and more can not go , just creating chaos hoping the military should step in and side him so he could save his nek from the murder case , actions from a desperate loony , but dangerous for his country and a shame for the word "democraty "

Watching him with his bodylanguage and mouth Thaksin start looking like an angel (wich he aint ..! )

Payments have not been made because the scheme is an utter failure.. No other reason.

Move along now G nothing to see here,

Get your hopes up again tomorrow, okay? thumbsup.gif

How many will be bored when this conflict is over?

It's far from over and will still go on, with or without the farmers.

My Thai wife tells me that the farmers who have gone home are from Uthai Thani and that their leader, a MP from one of the smaller parties supporting the government organised the drive to Bangkok fully with the intention to con the people into thinking that they would descend on the Airport, but actually had no such intention. The going home bit is meant to send a message that "we the farmers trust our beloved leader and we know she would never lie to us'. My comment 'sad delusional fools!

Just get on with it Khun Suthep, My Thai family who are all professional people albeit not overly rich, are 100% with you. They are extremely confident that Khun Suthep will win the 'battle'. .

Anyone who is either 100% with Suthep or 100% with the Shinawatra clan is part of the problem. Never before has the slogan 'same same but different' rung so true.

I do not know if you are of Thai nationality or not but if you are not, your opinion has NIL value and has no relevance. The stranglehold that Khun Thaksin has on Thailand has to be broken and unfortunately such actions do not come without trouble and/or inconvenience to all.