Successful single entry tourist visa application from KL

Hi everyone,

I booked flights to KL last month in order to pick up a single entry visa, but I was a little worried after reading TV reports that the embassy there had tightened up its rules. However, the process could not be more straightforward.

The opening hours for visa applications are 9:30 to 11:30. After sleeping in a little late on Monday I turned up at the Thai embassy at 10:50. I took a number and had to wait around 25-30 minutes before being called up to the desk. The only documents I handed over were my passport (obviously), visa application letter, and a signed copy of my passport info page. Nothing else was asked for. After submitting the application, I was directed to the payment line, where I handed over RM110.

Visa pickup time is between 2:30 and 4:30 the following day. I went back at 3:00 on Tuesday and went straight up to the counter, where my passport was handed back to me with the visa included.

And about myself I am 24y old from a western country who has only 3 consecutive visa on arrival entries in my passport. I didn't ask about the double entry visa, so I'm not sure if this is even possible there or what additional documents would be required.

Hopefully this information will be useful for someone out there!

post-107656-0-46164500-1392959853_thumb.

• Like 1

No tickets or financial proof was required. I did see another person in the queue who was being hassled with regards to his bank statements, however he did look somewhat Middle Eastern. Maybe there are different rules for different nationalities.

whistling.gif All applicants need to understand that ALL Thai consulates and embassies always have the right to request further documents to verify your eligibility for a visa if they so desire.

That doesn't mean they will cause problems for you, but it does mean that they have the right to make the decision on the spot as to whether you need to produce further documents to prove your eligibility.

But it is their right, and they can ask if they choose to do so.

That's why, if you're intelligent , you have all your ducks in a row when you apply for a visa.

If you do, and everything goes smoothly, that's what both of you and they want to happen.

That way, both sides are happy.

clap2.gif

I was there last week and had everything my lawyer had prepared for me to get a second 90 day B visa(required due to delays related to protests and government closures), all the same documents that I used to get my initial B Visa at a Thai consulate in the EU.

Instead of accepting my paperwork and money, they gave me back a piece of paper listing a requirement for a proof of permission from the ministry of labor that I didn't have and couldn't get until I had the visa.

They wouldn't talk to my lawyer on my phone about this catch-22, they asked him to call them. He called them, then me and said he couldn't convince them and he told me to get a tourist visa.

I went back to the same person I spoke with earlier and cajoled her into giving me the B visa.

It wasn't as straight forward as I was expecting. My lawyer suggested KL because it was supposed to be the fastest and easiest.

I'm assuming they have gotten more stringent recently.

I was there last week and had everything my lawyer had prepared for me to get a second 90 day B visa(required due to delays related to protests and government closures), all the same documents that I used to get my initial B Visa at a Thai consulate in the EU.

Instead of accepting my paperwork and money, they gave me back a piece of paper listing a requirement for a proof of permission from the ministry of labor that I didn't have and couldn't get until I had the visa.

They wouldn't talk to my lawyer on my phone about this catch-22, they asked him to call them. He called them, then me and said he couldn't convince them and he told me to get a tourist visa.

I went back to the same person I spoke with earlier and cajoled her into giving me the B visa.

It wasn't as straight forward as I was expecting. My lawyer suggested KL because it was supposed to be the fastest and easiest.

I'm assuming they have gotten more stringent recently.

Your lawyer did not advise you well, also KL, since the episode of the stolen visa stickers last year, has become super strict.

The document they asked for is issued once a Work Permit WP3 application is successfully filed at your local labour department, this has to happen before you apply for the single entry 90 day non immigrant 'B' Visa.

If there were delays and you were applying for a second 90 day non 'B' then the Consulate will expect a new WP3 Receipt and/or Letter of Approval from the Ministry of Labour.

KL have become difficult for sure, but they would have issued you with a new Single Entry Non Immigrant 'B' if you had been provided with the correct paperwork - see link below - Section 2.1 (1):

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Edited by digitalchromakey

What you say is correct but I was applying to conduct business, not to work (2.2 not 2.1).

My first application was approved and I did not have the letter of approval as it was not listed as a requirement. I didn't see it anywhere on the list of required documents in the KL Thai embassy site either.

I wasn't aware of the papers required for 2.1 and it appears now that she initially thought I was applying under 2.1 but after I explained it further she realized it was 2.2.

If their form had a box to indicate "1" or "2" on it I don't think there would be this confusion. I'm sure I'm not the only applicant or IO who experienced this.

My lawyer suggested KL for the turnaround time, not the ease of approval. I only had 2 days free to get it done unfortunately.

You will find that the nearby embassies and consulates will not issue a non-b for business unless you are a citizen or resident of the country where the they are located.

You in reality were applying for it to work not business.

You were lucky to of gotten the visa.

What you say is correct but I was applying to conduct business, not to work (2.2 not 2.1).

My first application was approved and I did not have the letter of approval as it was not listed as a requirement. I didn't see it anywhere on the list of required documents in the KL Thai embassy site either.

I wasn't aware of the papers required for 2.1 and it appears now that she initially thought I was applying under 2.1 but after I explained it further she realized it was 2.2.

If their form had a box to indicate "1" or "2" on it I don't think there would be this confusion. I'm sure I'm not the only applicant or IO who experienced this.

My lawyer suggested KL for the turnaround time, not the ease of approval. I only had 2 days free to get it done unfortunately.

I presume you meant to write 2.1 (2) as 2.2 is for a Non Immigrant 'BA' - which is rather special.

If you are applying for a non 'B' to do business in Thailand you would be normally expected to be already employed in another country plus to produce evidence of Thai 'partner' companies with which you will be doing business.

Still not impressed by your lawyer's advice as all the SE Asia Thai Consulates have a two day turn around (week days excluding public holidays), only Cambodia has a longer turn around at approx 4 working days if you apply directly.

• 7 months later...

No tickets or financial proof was required. I did see another person in the queue who was being hassled with regards to his bank statements, however he did look somewhat Middle Eastern. Maybe there are different rules for different nationalities.

A few nationalities are required to provide bank info. Most do not have to, as per:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/962

The 18 "listed countries" that have to provide bank info with their tourist visa application include a number from the Middle East, S Asia and Africa:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/962/18987-LIST-OF-COUNTRIES-THAT-MUST-HAVE-RESIDENT-IN-MALAY.html

I don't read Thai, but it is concievable that how long this policy has been in effect may be indicated by the dates & info in Thai at the bottom of the pages.

Edited by oldthaihand99

• 7 months later...

TOURIST VISA applications at the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur (KL) has now started asking for documents for:

- Flight in of Thailand

- Flight out of Thailand

- Hotel booking or else if you are staying at a residential home, the REGISTRATION papers! ....& for the entire duration of your 60 days stay!!!

Absolutely ridiculous!

Thought, It might just be my case for the "entire duration of my stay" coz I do have many past stamps & visas in my current passport.

Would like to hear from others if they've encountered this problem too.

My application date was in May 2015.