Bangkok poll reveals Thais want more substance in TV lakorn

webfact

Bangkok poll reveals Thais want more substance in TV lakorn
By Coconuts Bangkok

rangngao.jpg?itok=TY8oJzZj

BANGKOK: -- According to the poll, 94 percent of participants agree the most tired trope of lakorn is dramatic love triangles that end up in a fight while 74 percent feel the soaps still reflect Thai customs and traditions.

Even though the poll didn’t go further to explain what these traditions are, we would guess it’s the attachment and deference of people to their parents and no premarital sex, which seems out-of-date but harmless.

More than a half said they would want their lakorn to include more information about Thai history and 51 percent suggest comedy is always a win.

In addition to lakorn, the poll asked how people view Thai celebrities in the media.

Good or bad, 84 percent agreed celebrities are primary role models of young people.

But much of their opinion was negative. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/02/21/bangkok-poll-reveals-thais-want-more-substance-tv-lakorn

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-02-21

The fact that they watch this crap speaks volumes as to the quality of their lives.

To have to sit through it night after night just to get away from who you are and more important

things is pathetic. I wonder how many think this stuff is real and are supposed to look like

and act like that.

I did see a young lady having a tantrum waiting for the BTS, I looked around for the cameras.

It was right out of drama scene with her geeky male friend with the glasses with no lenses trying to

comfort her all the while smiling.

Everyone is beautiful, or handsome, rich, no one seems to work, immaculate cars, houses

are used are gaudy as hell with the pseudo Louis the XXVI decor. No wonder

Thai teenagers are obsessed with their looks and images.

I have a room mate that watches this crap, drives me crazy.

The networks need competition. Why don't they show Korean dramas at the same time and see what they

have to do to get people to watch the Thai ones. I know... beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

• Like 1

51 percent suggest comedy is always a win.

I wish that I could understand Thai comedy, But taking over-acting to an unprecedented level, lots of screaming and shouting, ugly ladyboys and cartoon sound effects just irritates me.

Sometimes I think that the person responsible for the sound effects is sitting reading the paper or having a beer and pressing random buttons.

• Like 2

51 percent suggest comedy is always a win.

I wish that I could understand Thai comedy, But taking over-acting to an unprecedented level, lots of screaming and shouting, ugly ladyboys and cartoon sound effects just irritates me.

Sometimes I think that the person responsible for the sound effects is sitting reading the paper or having a beer and pressing random buttons.

Surely the stupid sound effects are to make sure the audience knows when to laugh at the "funny" bits and nobody feels left out because they laugh at the wrong time. Reserved sniggers are not enough - you need to laugh in an exaggerated way in unison with all your fellow watchers.

• Like 1

Nice but shy girl fancies nice boy. Nasty girl also fancies nice boy.

Nasty girls mum plots on behalf of nasty girl for nice girl and nice boy to have a falling out. Nice girl has a wacky gay friend who consoles her over the fallout. Nice boy goes blind after a car crash. Nice girl visits him in hospital and holds his hand alot. Nice boy regains his sight but keeps it secret. Nasty girl and her mum are caught out by nice boy conspiring to setup nice girl. Nice boy and nice girl live happily ever after. Nasty girl and her mum get raped by a gang of Burmese labourers after their car breaks down on the way home.

Same same even if an historical costume drama except substitute elephants/dugout canoe instead of car. Repeat adnauseum.

Don't forget the stupid gardener and the fat cleaning lady !!!

The bad news for wanting more from these shows is it may require the actors to have more of a range ... that could be a problem. They're just pretty and stand there saying lines

The actual standard of acting is awful. I don't know how Thais can watch even the worst American shows and then look at these shows and not say 'damn, they are terrible'

Let's not forget that most Hollywood films are hardly breaking the mould when it comes to storylines though