Abandoned, stripped out villa. How to find out owner? Legalities of squatting?

Super sad thing to see today I'd viewed this property some 5 years ago on a first visit and simply loved it I did try to reach an agreement on a lease but the Thai agent was not letting me get through to the owner on some points, mostly about the numerous antiques that I didn't want to be responsible for. I was told the owner was Italian and out of the country - and I let it go.

It never did get rented as far as I know but had a caretaker on the property It's on about 7 rai with few neighbors,

Went by today and what a shock, overgrown jungle , completely stripped out, partied in, brokeb glass and bath ware all over, wiring pulled roof is stil lintact

How can I find out who owns it and what are the legalities of just going in and living , there's no doors and gate has been stolen. I often thought about this place and envied who ever ended up living there, never figured it would be a meth house.

Oh it makes me sick. Place was a beauty and the location is incredibly beautiful and quiet. If I document the damage was before I moved in , Would it be a civil or crimnal matter if I just squat in it?

HOw can I find out the owner ? It does have an address number and I know the soi , but I don;t know the " moo" number.

I left some notes at the closest houses.

Thanks

What I have done in that situation is:

Ask the neighbors if they know the owner. Many times they do and when they don't

Go to the land office and inquiry there. (have some land marks as to the location of the property ....maybe the addresses surrounding the property if you don't have the exact address of the property)

Or if you have the money.....hire a local lawyer to inquire for you.

As for squatting ....I wouldn't!

• Like 1

I experienced this same thing a few years ago in Pattaya. After wasting much time investigating I was told this property was formerly owned by an American drug lord who was in prison and the property was tied up in legal stuff by his Thai wife. I went back three years later and as you say the property had been taken over by a jungle.

I happen to know the owner was foreign, presumably had a Tha Co that owned. The British neigbors inform me he is deceased, several years now and are of the opinion a sale fell through due to problems they were not sure of.

. I also know that when NOr Sor Gor titles are squatted upon for 1 year and if the owner does not event.. a claim can be made- if you're Thai.

If you're foreign, well there lies the legal grey area. ( Could not trust a Thai to act on my behalf in this.).

The house is on about 8 rai. would need a legal Thai co. to claim that land, but the house may be a different matter.

Yes seems to be a bit iffy, just a muse, really well, but yeah... but kinda tempting , I have to move in two months. I willtry to find out the ownere as I have thehouse number etc.

I was aslo thinking no way to get any kind of copy of the registration, and need that for immigration , however.. can be got around by jut having a cheap room rented close by.

^ Not sure that is true, foreigners can own houses, just not the land they are on. I almost bought once like this, ( thankfully fell through ) and the land was a separate 30 year lease. Yes, next to useless for resale.

"Oh the wicked web.."

If the foreign owner has died it may well be that he has no inheritors or that if there are some they dont even know that he owned the property here.

There are at least two condo units in my building in exactly this situation (dead foreign owner, no one here has the faintest idea who his inheritors are if any), and they just sit there accumulating unpaid common fee bills.