Yacht mooring options around Phuket

Bazw57

Hi, I have a good friend who want to sail from Australia to Phuket later this year.

He hopes leave his Yacht moored in the area on a long term basis so he is looking for options.

We are are aware there are several marina in the Phuket region but are these the only options?

Example - Are there long term moorings available in the Chalong Bay Area outside a Marina?

He is looking for a low cost long term mooring option.

Any suggestions on moorings or reasonably priced Marina berths would be appreciated.

He plans to fly there in about a months time to check things out ahead of the sailing trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Langkawi would be a much better choice than anywhere in Thailand for long term mooring, for several reasons including crime and customs regulations.

Thanks for a info.

We are just in the early stages of trying gather some info on mooring options so quite open to suggestions.

We are already becoming aware of possible issues in Thailand around possible customs and registration rules.

We were not aware of a crime problem around moored boats.

Is this a big problem around Phuket?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I would suggest that he contacts/pays a visit to the Ao Chalong Yacht Club when he arrives in Phuket, and speak to the members there. Apart from the 4 marinas, the only year round moorings that have a degree of security (from a weather perspective) are Chalong Bay and Ao Yon. ACYC info here: http://acyc.asia

• Like 1

So the recent change to the 2 month entry registration has now been reversed and is back to 6 months. ...is that correct and when does that take effect?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Langkawi would be a much better choice than anywhere in Thailand for long term mooring, for several reasons including crime and customs regulations.

Correct and you forgot to mention that the difference in mooring-fees is something like 60 to 75% ! ! (cheaper in Langkawi)

coffee1.gif

So the recent change to the 2 month entry registration has now been reversed and is back to 6 months. ...is that correct and when does that take effect?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Read this aticle

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Wind-at-yachties-backs-in-Phuket-as-boom-swings-against-boat-stay-law-25649.html

Engine theft is rife in Chalong bay. Moorings are free in Phuket and you are best advised to actually make and set your own. But there is no shortage of scammers selling you their yacht moorings for a monthly fee.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app