Gastric Bypass Surgery

playbgnow

• 1 month later...

This is very dangerous in terms of long term health effects, not to mention complications that could happen in the hospital. If you're looking to lose weight contact there are many other options that last longer; the most important of which is a good coach and a motivator to keep you focused on your goal.

What appears to be easy today, will hurt you tomorrow, hard work is the only way to fat loss.

OP, please post your general age, any major chronic diseases, and BMI number.

That way, people can give more informed opinions about the risk-reward aspects of bariatric surgery.

No, I don't think there are doctors posting here, but at least with better information you give, you increase your chances here.

I think it would be easy for most all obese people in Thailand to find a surgeon willing to take your money.

In the west, there is more likely to be good screening of best candidates.

Basically though, if you are not yet quite OBESE there are better ways to try to tackle this.

If you are MASSIVELY OBESE, then a good doctor would test your commitment and demand some weight loss before the surgery (as the massively obese will generally be a high risk of even dying under the knife).

If you are in between (still VERY obese), and healthy enough for the surgery, in my opinion based on my research, bariatric surgery is often the best hope you'll ever have.

Also some people who aren't massively obese and already have chronic obesity related diseases may be candidates for bariatric but generally they should at least TRY other methods first.

People on this forum tend to way over blow the odds of such very obese people of EVER solving the issue with diet and exercise alone (statistically the long term odds are TINY and this is known by doctors now). So for a certain group of people, bariatric surgery is an EXCELLENT idea.

I have no idea if you're in that group.

I would be skeptical of Thai doctors screening you well either. They want a customer. You need to do your own due diligence on that.

Best of luck with this.

Also if it turns out from your research (also seeing doctors) that you are a good candidate for this, don't let the morality lecturers tell you that you don't need it and should do it yourself, because if you really are a good candidate, most likely you CAN'T. Nothing personal, those are the hard cold statistics. For the best candidates, there is always going to be some risk, the risks of doing it are less than not doing it.

Also as you probably know, there are a number of OPTIONS now for the exact type of bariatric procedure. This is very individual. Which is another way of saying you need a really good doctor to help you choose the best option for you.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

BMI - Bloody Meaningless Indicator (of anything) - now dropped as a formal guide by both the US and the UK as being a meaningful health measurement indicator, in isolation and without expertise in understanding the exceptions !

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/downloads/bmiforpactitioners.pdf

Fine. Give waist size also.

Just trying to get an idea of the level of obesity with the OP.

We're just talking here.

Need some basic info.

If the OP is an adult man with a 40 inch waist for example, it would usually be insane to get bariatric, but I still think many doctors would say yes, where's your credit card?

That said, there may be some cases where a 40 inch waist man might be an OK candidate. Such as a person with multiple obesity related chronic conditions who has tried for years to address the (mild) obesity and no success.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I have seen some amazing results from a gastric bypass (not on me) but on a person I know back in the Netherlands. Real amazing, but its not only the surgery that helped her. It gave her a push to eat more healthy in general and exercise too. Problem was that as a mother there was always chips, chocolate and sugary drinks available and she just loved to eat. She said she always ate too much and the wrong stuff, now that has changed.

I think its a valid option in some situations.. but I am sure JT knows a lot more as me about the risks as I never looked into for myself. So I never really read up on it.