What's Wrong With These Hard Drives?

sirchai

Some people are making this too hard. "Hard disk drive" is a drive (software) that is put on a physical hard disk and HDD is used to differentiate it from floppy, optical, removable etc. drives.

The reason there are two D's in HDD is because the first one denotes that it is a hard disk. If that's all we needed, we could call it a HD. Hard Drive. But it isn't all we need.

We need a Drive (letter) (software) on a physical hard Disk (hardware) So we say HDD to show that the drive (software) is on a hard disk. Hard Disk Drive. HDD.

What's so hard about this?

Since English is your mother tongue, you should understand the meaning of the word "hard"

Hard Disk Drive

harddrive.jpg

I see hard disks. If they are hard disk drives, then they have been formatted and will be given the second D, or Drive Letter, to make them Hard Disk Drives. Otherwise, they are just physical Hard Disks.

A drive needs a drive letter!!!!! HDD.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe that so many hardcore experts and hardcore expats are having a hard time to understand how hard it can be to deal with hard drives, but hardly understand the hardware specific differences between a hard drive, a hard time and a hard one.

The hard drive sentinel didn't seem to have a hard time to read the hard drive to understand the hardness of the hard drive's hard drive.

The hardest part of the hard drives might be that older hard drives are harder to handle, than newer hard drives without any hardware in it.

If you think it's too hard and you hardly understand the heart breaking question, then I'd certainly not look for a hard time for your hard drives.

Hard drives are hard to drive with, as hard drives don't really drive hard.

They're hardware with software on it and it's not hard to understand, the difference between hard drives and a hard one.-facepalm.gif

Edited by sirchai

Some people are making this too hard. "Hard disk drive" is a drive (software) that is put on a physical hard disk and HDD is used to differentiate it from floppy, optical, removable etc. drives.

The reason there are two D's in HDD is because the first one denotes that it is a hard disk. If that's all we needed, we could call it a HD. Hard Drive. But it isn't all we need.

We need a Drive (letter) (software) on a physical hard Disk (hardware) So we say HDD to show that the drive (software) is on a hard disk. Hard Disk Drive. HDD.

Since English is your mother tongue, you should understand the meaning of the word "hard"

Hard Disk Drive

harddrive.jpg

I see hard disks. If they are hard disk drives, then they have been formatted and will be given the second D, or Drive Letter, to make them Hard Disk Drives. Otherwise, they are just physical Hard Disks.

A drive needs a drive letter!!!!! HDD.

Do you notice in the image below how they call those items that have a digit , and those that have a letter to be identified ?

aomei_dynamic_disk_manager_server_editio

I find it hard to believe that so many hardcore experts and hardcore expats are having a hard time to understand how hard it can be to deal with hard drives, but hardly understand the hardware specific differences between a hard drive, a hard time and a hard one.

The hard drive sentinel didn't seem to have a hard time to read the hard drive to understand the hardness of the hard drive's hard drive.

The hardest part of the hard drives might be that older hard drives are harder to handle, than newer hard drives without any hardware in it.

If you think it's too hard and you hardly understand the heart breaking question, then I'd certainly not look for a hard time for your hard drives.

Hard drives are hard to drive with, as hard drives don't really drive hard.

They're hardware with software on it and it's not hard to understand, the difference between hard drives and a hard one.-facepalm.gif

You shouldn't be so hard on them. It Hardly their Fault that they are havibg such a hard time driving this to a close

Hard Disk Drive

harddrive.jpg

Seems that I'll have to put some grease and WD 40 on this arm to avoid a malfunction in the future.....facepalm.gif

Edited by sirchai

I prefer to say I don't know something when I don't know that thing.

Do we REALLY have to know everything in this world?

I feel it is very intelligent to say I don't know, when I don't know something.

And I feel really stupid to argue about something that I don't know nothing about...

Just my 2 cents...

whistling.gif

• Like 1

Depending on the programs you use your computer for upgrading to 4GB or RAM could produce a big performance boost for little cost. 3GB is not normally an option, and as you are using 32 bit Windows anything more than 4GB of RAM would be a wast of money

Incorrect.

You can boot Windows with the /PAE switch to exceed the 3GB limitation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366796(v=vs.85).aspx

• Like 1

Depending on the programs you use your computer for upgrading to 4GB or RAM could produce a big performance boost for little cost. 3GB is not normally an option, and as you are using 32 bit Windows anything more than 4GB of RAM would be a wast of money

Incorrect.

You can boot Windows with the /PAE switch to exceed the 3GB limitation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366796(v=vs.85).aspx

Fair point which I was not aware of having left Windows behind about 6 years ago to be full time Ubuntu (64bit),

Now, since you know so much, tell me how you would "see A) the temperature of EACH hard drive" on each of those 24 hard drives (software.)

That question is so ignorant and reflects such a fundamental, perverse misunderstanding as to make no sense at all.

I explained all this to you a couple of years ago after you fatuously postured as "teacher" based on some credentials obviously obtained on Kaosan Rd., and I gave you, from standard tech references, the correct terminology to help you to understand. Didn't help. JesseFrank has explained it to you in brief once again here.

Now, in another context, you claimed that precise terminology is important to you. But not in this case, where you persist in using non-standard terminology to describe your erroneous concept about "hard drives." True, Microsoft did use dumbed-down incorrect terminology for end users--but you should know better.

Please don't embarrass yourself further on this subject and introduce irrelevance and confusion.

Cable connectors, you're good on, even when they're superfluous.

It doesn't become a hard drive until I put software on it.

Laughable statement in its childlike naiveté, but you just won't give it up. Start by learning about HDD platters. YOU don't put anything on them, especially anything, ah, soft. giggle.gif

So I agree:

Thank you gentlemen, that was the funniest thread in this forum in months! cheesy.gif

Next:

"I've learned a lot while living in Thailand, but I've also realized that many people are trying to talk about things they obviously don't know much about" was just a little off-putting for me.

Well, I'm sure it was. He was right on the mark, too. Wiser to adopt a humble attitude and go do your homework.

@sirchai: HD Sentinal is a good program I think. You were wise to replace your disk. I'd do a double check w/ another program such as the well-respected CrystalDiskInfo.

I've found that the health "rating" even on a new disk may vary and it seems according to the brand/model. It may well be 100% but the software will read it as lower because of a different calibration.

So I wouldn't worry much about the health percentages. Only start worrying when you get a warning. Check the smart indicators to see what the warning's about and then research a bit on the parameter. Start backing up religiously and keep watch on the indicator. If it's getting worse or HD Sentinal or other recommend replacement, I'd do it fairly soon.

I can't believe it. Don't really know what did the trick, but I've got a percentage off 92% of My Hdd's health now. Deleted some unnecessary stuff, then tried the professional version and do have such an increasement.

The better version of sentinel is even showing a graph with the jump from 64 before to 92%. Had also ran a surface scan, working well.

Good that I didn't put the grease on the "arm" yet.-wai2.gif

That question is so ignorant and reflects such a fundamental, perverse misunderstanding as to make no sense at all.

I explained all this to you a couple of years ago after you fatuously postured as "teacher" based on some credentials obviously obtained on Kaosan Rd., and I gave you, from standard tech references, the correct terminology to help you to understand. Didn't help. JesseFrank has explained it to you in brief once again here.

Now, in another context, you claimed that precise terminology is important to you. But not in this case, where you persist in using non-standard terminology to describe your erroneous concept about "hard drives." True, Microsoft did use dumbed-down incorrect terminology for end users--but you should know better.

Please don't embarrass yourself further on this subject and introduce irrelevance and confusion.

You are so wrong that it's embarrassing you to be so insulting. Apparently you can't just have a discussion. One more time.

If I buy a blank Hard Disk at the store, it is only that, a Hard Disk.

Not until I install it in or attach it to a computer and put software on it to the point it receives a drive letter does it become a hard disk drive. HDD. It is called a hard disk Drive to differentiate it from an optical drive, floppy drive, pen drive, etc. All show in My Computer as drives with drive letters -

But only those drives that are on a hard disk can be called a Hard Disk Drive. HDD.

You are so wrong that it's embarrassing you to be so insulting. Apparently you can't just have a discussion. One more time.

Not until I install it in or attach it to a computer and put software on it to the point it receives a drive letter does it become a hard disk drive. HDD. It is called a hard disk Drive to differentiate it from an optical drive, floppy drive, pen drive, etc. All show in My Computer as drives with drive letters -

But only those drives that are on a hard disk can be called a Hard Disk Drive. HDD.

Hey, you're right. Let them write more and more and more and just don't worry. Some people are just ignorant and will always be.-wai2.gif

Hey, you're right. Let them write more and more and more and just don't worry. Some people are just ignorant and will always be.-wai2.gif

Alas, poor sirchai! closedeyes.gif

Seriously, you are embarrassing yourself with this foolish attempt at pedantry.

It doesn't matter whether you call them Hard Disks, Hard Drives or Hard Disk Drives.

This is what they look like.

784px-Laptop-hard-drive-exposed.jpg

Yes, that is commonly referred to as a "Drive".

As in "Where is your collection of Gonzo?"

"On my hard drive".

"On my hard disk".

Doesn't matter a jot.

In fact, now that floppies are pretty well obsolete, "disk drive" will do, as it is enough to differentiate from "DVD drive", which is what most people have as the other drive in their computer.

<deleted> it's not rocket surgery.

Seriously, you are embarrassing yourself with this foolish attempt at pedantry.

It doesn't matter whether you call them Hard Disks, Hard Drives or Hard Disk Drives.

This is what they look like.

784px-Laptop-hard-drive-exposed.jpg

Yes, that is commonly referred to as a "Drive".

As in "Where is your collection of Gonzo?"

"On my hard drive".

"On my hard disk".

Doesn't matter a jot.

In fact, now that floppies are pretty well obsolete, "disk drive" will do, as it is enough to differentiate from "DVD drive", which is what most people have as the other drive in their computer.

<deleted> it's not rocket surgery.

Rocket Surgery??

Surely you mean Brain Science!laugh.pnglaugh.png

Edited by thaimite
  • Like 1

No. It is a hard disk, hard drive, or hard disk drive. The terms are interchangeable, as any tech source will tell you.

The term "hard drive" is actually short for "hard disk drive." The term "hard disk" refers to the actual disks inside the drive. However, all three of these terms are usually seen as referring to the same thing -- the place where your data is stored. Since I use the term "hard drive" most often, that is the correct one to use.

--http://www.techterms.com/definition/harddrive

In a personal computer, a hard disk drive (HDD) is the mechanism that controls the positioning, reading, and writing of the hard disk, which furnishes the largest amount of data storage for the PC. Although the hard disk drive (often shortened to "hard drive") and the hard disk are not the same thing, they are packaged as a unit and so either term is sometimes used to refer to the whole unit.

--http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/definition/hard-disk-drive

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/componentprofiles/p/p_hdd.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive

And this why, in a BIOS (pre-boot)--or one I have anyway--the hard disks are listed under the header "Hard Disk Drives" whether they have your "software" on them or not! So, it's widely recognized. Period.

Note how you buy a floppy disk drive at the store--with no floppy disk in it. It's assigned a drive letter once installed--with no floppy disk in it. Yes I know about the firmware. I'm talking common, accepted understanding of what the term drive means.

No. In Windows Explorer, a partition on a hard disk will be called a Hard Disk Drive for the convenience of the unwashed masses and those with low-level tech knowledge such as yourself. It's not called that in Device Manager or in Disk Management, of course. Nor does Linux call it that anywhere--quite rightly. It's unfortunate Microsoft made that decision.

But no matter what Windows Explorer does, it was nonetheless a hard disk, hard drive, or hard disk drive before it had any partitions or any drive letter assigned by Windows.

I explained this to you earlier here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608159-reinstall-of-windows-xpadvice-please/page-2#entry5975682

There you even used "software hard drives" (SHD? :)) to refer to partitions. Such befuddlement.

Hence, re: sirichai's case w/ HDSentinel, the program correctly recognized the disks and the topic was all was on track until you had to derail and confuse the whole issue with an irrelevant misuse of terminology.

Edited by JSixpack

Thanks for this thread

I downloaded the programme and it report a Health of 9% :bah:

and 9 days to go

As a result of 7000 bad sectors on the disk

Now I do backup every week, but it looks like I need to buy a new disk

Now where was that thread about SSDs?

• Like 1

Thanks for this thread

I downloaded the programme and it report a Health of 9% bah.gif

and 9 days to go

I ran CHKDSK and that says 0 bad sectors

Now which do I believe

I do backup every week, but it looks like I may need to buy a new disk????????/

Could be an anomaly. Many techs will replace a disk after 20 bad sectors. I've had one fail w/ around 30, but it took around 6 months. Hard to predict this kind of thing!

Never heard of a functioning disk w/ so many! Compare w/ what HDTune and CrystalDiskInfo say.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hd_tune.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/crystaldiskinfo.html

I've found these two programs quite reliable.

If there's much agreement towards the negative, do consider replacement, esp if the drive is around 4 yrs old or more. Of course continue the regular backups, but backup more frequently if there's anything you really don't want to lose. If this is the system drive, make an image while you can.

chkdsk isn't really a drive diagnostic tool. It mainly works w/ filesystems. Typically, bad sectors are remapped so that the filesystem stays intact--until it doesn't. :) Hence re: health of the disk, I'd give great weight to the above programs.

Thanks for this thread

and 9 days to go

Now which do I believe

HD Sentinel has some disk tests you can run. The results would be of interest. Also you can download a diagnostic program from the drive manufacturer to run tests and get a diagnosis.

Thanks for this thread

and 9 days to go

Now which do I believe

Could be an anomaly. Many techs will replace a disk after 20 bad sectors. I've had one fail w/ around 30, but it took around 6 months. Hard to predict this kind of thing!

Never heard of a functioning disk w/ so many! Compare w/ what HDTune and CrystalDiskInfo say.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hd_tune.html

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/crystaldiskinfo.html

I've found these two programs quite reliable.

If there's much agreement towards the negative, do consider replacement, esp if the drive is around 4 yrs old or more. Of course continue the regular backups, but backup more frequently if there's anything you really don't want to lose. If this is the system drive, make an image while you can.

chkdsk isn't really a drive diagnostic tool. It mainly works w/ filesystems. Typically, bad sectors are remapped so that the filesystem stays intact--until it doesn't. smile.png Hence re: health of the disk, I'd give great weight to the above programs.

Which finally leads to the fantastic program "Acronis Back Up and Recovery". It does all for you, to create a bookable media, then the backup on an external drive for your drive c.

Got desktop and notebook saved. Life's easy, if you see it this way.

Once you need a new program, you can restore it in easy steps. Let's see what the expats, aeeh experts here think.

Might help so many guys not to lose all data. -wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

Thanks for this thread

and 9 days to go

Now which do I believe

Don't believe the Windows message.Please try the pro version and test it again. If it's still like that, you'll know why it's good to have such a program.

I could not find a programme for the disk, Toshiba

but the Seagate one, shows no problems, except for a long run time 850+ days

My computer is on 24x7!! Over 2 years now.

The report from Sentinel shows the bad sectors are spared

which leave me to wonder if they are manufacturing bad sectors?

No way of checking that I know of.

I agree that in the commercial world even a few bad sectors are a worry.

How can I read the disk log?

On the big HP machines that I work on this is possible

but on a windows notebook???