Selling used Rx8's in Asia

WarpSpeed

I'm going to be acquiring, refurbishing, shipping & selling used Rx 8's in the Asian market shipped from here in the states, primarily in Vietnam and Cambodia but if someone has the right connections for Thailand that is a possibility too. I'm seeking someone on that end to network with who may have connections. There is very large potential for profit since these cars are a glut here at actions with mechanical issues that can be acquired and repaired relatively cheaply but would carry a massive profitability in that market.

Many as low and even lower than $2500 (75000baht) in respectable condition and that's a 2004 with features not available in that market so well worth the money on a resale all in including shipping, customs, etc.. I'm well aware of the hurdles with customs in the region but the profitability potential can make it worth while to overcome for the right connected person..

I'm not seeking advice, I know the market and the challenges ahead but the right people can overcome them and that's who I'm seeking to network with. I also know Thailand is right drive but that doesn't exclude that market and in fact the potential for selling these cars is well into tens of thousands in that market too.. You can Pm me but only if you're serious, no trolls please this is a serious inquiry.

HI Mate, You have really got me thinking when you say you can buy them from $2,500. WHERE, I would buy one tomorrow at that sort of price, and a lot more for the right car, Manual of course. Having been a Rotary man since i purchased my first RX2 Coupe in 1971 in Oz and having both raced and used them as my prefered road car right through to the series 6, RX7 twin turbo. The RX7's are a rediculous price here, but i do love them. My Daughter has a last model RX8 in OZ, 2012 Model for sale and after a year, no takers, so they are apparently hard to sell there. Please tell me where to look as i am really interested.

• Like 1

HI Mate, You have really got me thinking when you say you can buy them from $2,500. WHERE, I would buy one tomorrow at that sort of price, and a lot more for the right car, Manual of course. Having been a Rotary man since i purchased my first RX2 Coupe in 1971 in Oz and having both raced and used them as my prefered road car right through to the series 6, RX7 twin turbo. The RX7's are a rediculous price here, but i do love them. My Daughter has a last model RX8 in OZ, 2012 Model for sale and after a year, no takers, so they are apparently hard to sell there. Please tell me where to look as i am really interested.

Here in the states. I'm going to be acquiring them through auctions, right now on just one site alone there are 67 listed, not all are worth while or cost effective but certainly those aren't my interest. Some will need some refurbish such as engines as the series 1 Rx8's had engine issues and now they are being turned over in droves through insurance claims. The new engines will be much better then the OEM as the weaknesses will be corrected before sale, but the problem with these cars is that it's the first gen 13b rotary that offered automatics and so a lot of weak kneed people own them now as grocery getters and don't run them hard enough to clean out the carbon. There are other peripheral issues that snow ball to contribute to the engine problems that are now known about so they'll be corrected as well before selling wherever necessary.

The resale price, especially there in Asia though, will more than justify the necessary work and there is a vast reasonably and lower priced parts availability too, some crashed cars will be acquired as well through the same sources, that will serve as parts cars.. The cars were very popular so there is a glut of good, cheap examples around..

I'm picking up an engineless chassis this weekend in Georgia for my own personal car, and I have another one in my garage already I got for $4200 a year ago I'm in the process of making it into a race car so plenty of spare parts for a street car being stripped out. The one in Georgia is in better condition and has a sun roof, sweet red and black leather, power seats, air bags all around including side curtains front and rear, 6 speed, cruise, steering controls for stereo etc. all the frills and only needs an engine which I've already sourced for only $2500 with a 3 year parts & labor warrantee and the chassis is only $1500 that leaves a lot of room for some extra parts if needed like a new hi pro clutch and pressure plate or whatever else and still plenty of profitability. Even here, as it will go for between $7000 & $9000 once finished but there it would be 3 or 4 times that.

In the near future as I acquire more equipment I'll be saving even more by rebuilding the engines in-house myself.

Edited by WarpSpeed

• 3 weeks later...

The real problem is to get it able to register. I do not think that at current state you would allow to bring in used car and get it register. You could only bring in as salvage for part. But still you can pull some string to bring in as whole car without chopping it up. The main problem is to bring in used car that way it is impossible to get registration. If you want to just race on track, it would not be much trouble but driving on street, I don't think so

• Like 1

This was a big issue last year with very expensive imported sports cars being brought into the country. Don't remember all the details. Registering the car is going to be nearly impossible for any buyers. Aside from the marketing aspects you have already investigated and is a non issue, the registration of the car is going to be the show stopper. Look into the possibility of starting a fabrication/assembly plant in Thailand and having all the parts shipped to it, to be re-assembled. Might be the only in. Having the car registered as an "in country" restored product. Don't know what the legal implications are but worth a look. You might need to consult a Thai Lawyer in consumer products to get the answer.

Interesting idea though.

Edited by Mrjlh
  • Like 1

You can get the cars registered as "locally re-manufactured", but after all the noise created by the Sisaket scam last year, you'd better be able to prove you're actually re-manufacturing them, with appropriate car re-manufacturing facilities, and sign-off by actual Thai mechnical engineers.....

• Like 1

The real problem is to get it able to register. I do not think that at current state you would allow to bring in used car and get it register. You could only bring in as salvage for part. But still you can pull some string to bring in as whole car without chopping it up. The main problem is to bring in used car that way it is impossible to get registration. If you want to just race on track, it would not be much trouble but driving on street, I don't think so

Track cars still need to be fully road registered in TH.

• Like 1

Well as one option of importing to Thailand import to Vietnam (or equivalent) and then driving them over the border as registered cars from the receiving country, and driving them out of country on visa runs to renew their Thai registrations per say, a 6 month requirement but needs to be out of country for a short period, maybe at a friends house or in storage, kills 2 birds with one stone so to speak. I.E even if they aren't track cars utilize that rule to make them legal to drive and register.

I know connections are required which is why I posted for some, the value of the cars there in that market versus the investment and shipment is well covered though with plenty of profit margin to be had.

IMHO's idea is also possible but again requires a receiving partner on that end as I'm here in the states to make the acquisitions and shipping from here and whatever else is required, hopefully not cutting up nice cars.

Anyway thank you for the ideas, participation and bumping the thread, with new thoughts. All it takes is motivation to get it done, I have 2-8's in the process of restoration at the moment, funding is short though so takes a bit of time.

Edited by WarpSpeed

BTW even as parts it would be very lucrative if done right.. That is a potential branch off if selling them there is possible, as parts will be required and I can supply them as well plus performance parts, engines and the like.

^ whistling.gifcoffee1.gif Plenty of left drive cars in Thailand. Besides the other countries surrounding Thailand are not right drive. Save to the south, but still no matter. He bumped my thread though, so no worries..

Edited by WarpSpeed