"International" wall sockets?

Aussie777

G'day all,

Can anyone point me in the direction of locating international wall sockets in Bangkok? I have a few appliances that are of a foreign nature and I would like to install a few wall sockets that are capable of accepting multiple plugs, such as you would find in a good hotel these days.

Any ideas where to find them? I'm having a look in Hong Kong, but would source locally if they are available?

Thanks in advance.

Aussie777

The sockets come as 2 single modules, so you can mix and match. I found the best way is in the picture posted

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do they they accept UK, Australia, South Africa/India (old UK 5 and 15 Amp round-pin shape) ?

Also, do they have shutters on L and N ?

Thanks.

Edited by thomasteve

Most the ranges have them, some are shuttered (the Schneider one shown by Forky for example), none, as far as I'm aware take the big 15A South African Plug.

Do be aware that the contacts are, due to the requirements to mate with all sorts, a somewhat interesting shape. This can result in a small contact area, I would avoid loads over about 500W (a hair-dryer) no kettles, heaters etc.

• Like 1

Most the ranges have them, some are shuttered (the Schneider one shown by Forky for example), none, as far as I'm aware take the big 15A South African Plug.

Do be aware that the contacts are, due to the requirements to mate with all sorts, a somewhat interesting shape. This can result in a small contact area, I would avoid loads over about 500W (a hair-dryer) no kettles, heaters etc.

Thanks Crossy, that's good advice about avoiding heavy loads. To be able to accommodate the various pin shapes in use there must have been some compromise made in their design, similar to those universal travel adaptors.

Probably also best to try and avoid repeated unplugging to stop the pins becoming a loose fit.

will they also work with 110v ?

I would like to put a few in my house in the USA , yes I know about the 220 V voltage in the rest of the world ,

it is just some duel voltage stuff with round pin Euro plugs

thanks for the info

Absolutely, but do remember that the current rating doesn't change. For 110V use I wouldn't want to load them much over 300W.

If you just have the round pin Euro style plugs you'd be better getting the regular Thai outlet that accepts those and the flat pinned plugs, much more robust than the truly universal ones.

Are these driven by 230v Xy?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As far as I can ascertain they are 220V => 5V 750mA USB chargers, if I can actually find them I will verify (needed for bedroom to charge phones).

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed, need to set up a charging station.

Wonder if they work for Apple products.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

750 mA will charge an iPhone or iPad, albeit (very) slowly. Normal iPhone charger is 1 Amp, and iPad charger 2.1 Amp.

Well, I've finally received my USB outlets, Tarad were totally unresponsive to emails, it needed a PayPal dispute starting to persuade them to actually ship.

I went for this off ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271384666829?var=570259134717&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Charges my iphone, tablet, samsung s3, and earphones very quickly, and is capable of a 4A load, you can ask what type of plug you need. I just plugged an old lead I had, works great.

ships from hong kong

still looking for a couple of wall outlets though.

whats the output on yours Xy?

Nifty Forky.

The Haco units will do what I need (something built in to replace plug-in chargers). They are only 750mA total (I'm assuming total) over 2 ports, but will charge my Note 3.

I went for this off ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271384666829?var=570259134717&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Charges my iphone, tablet, samsung s3, and earphones very quickly, and is capable of a 4A load, you can ask what type of plug you need. I just plugged an old lead I had, works great.

ships from hong kong

still looking for a couple of wall outlets though.

whats the output on yours Xy?

I also use one of these 4A chargers, along with one of these: http://store.griffintechnology.com/powerdock-5-device-charger and some Chinese USB charge cables that have 30-pin, lightning, mini USB and micro USB connectors - much tidier than what it used to look like with powerboard, multiple chargers, and cables everywhere ;)