Uk Vistor Visa

To explain some background.

Prior to our marriage, my wife applied for and received two (2) visitor visas to the UK, on both occasions she left before the visa expired.

We then married and she has since received a UK settlement visa, which expires in July.

We are currently living in Italy and do not plan to return to the UK to make an application for indefinite leave to remain. If we return to the UK we shall make a second application for a settlement visa - I understand that my wife is entitled to a Family Permit under the Treaty of Rome, but my employers pay for the visas so – hang the expense.

However, we may not return to the UK for some time yet, so my wife needs yet another visitor visa for holiday visits hence the following question.

What criteria does she need to meet to be eligible for a long term visitor visa? – I note here that Visitor Visa can have a validity of up to 10 years. (Although no one visit shall exceed 6 months).

I’ll add that I work for an international corporation and that all our reasons for traveling to and from the UK are legitimate, my wife holds fully legal residence status wherever we go, supported by my employers under the terms of my employment/work permits etc

By 'legitimate' I mean we are not seeking to obtain residence via long term visitor visas, rather my work requires we both travel and do not settle in one place.

We would be applying here in Rome.

Guesthouse,

There are no formal criteria to be fulfilled (other than the usual rules governing visitors in general). It is basically the ECO's own assessment of whether the applicant merits a long-term visit visa. In deciding who qualifies, the visa officer will look at the applicant's circumstances and UK immigration history. There might also be a locally forumlated policy on who gets such visas.

In the situation you have described, I don't see any reason why your wife shouldn't get such a visa. You might choose to enclose a letter with the application which states that you might have to visit the UK at short notice, and, consequently, a 2- or 5-year visit visa would be a lot more convenient than having to make a series of applications. Also include evidence of your emplyment and of your wife's immigration status in Italy.

Cheers,

Scouse.