Dead restaurants in Nai Haarn

jaffacakes1

Discovered that L'Odeon and Palau Fish (Next to M+M) recently died. Haven't seen Applebys or L'Orfeo open for some time.

Does anyone know the status? These were all above average restaurants and bumping during high season just seems a bit odd!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile appjxnhl

If someone opened a restaurat with parking for vehicles and catered for expat couples and expat/Thai couples

not tourists i think they would do OK, A lot of couples in Rawai and no one caters for them

With both Thai and western quality food at reasonable prices, tourist would use it as well once they new about it

only restaurant in Rawai with some parking at present is a tourist trap

It would not need to be beachfront but easy to find

Edited by nedkellylives
  • Like 2

If someone opened a restaurat with parking for vehicles and catered for expat couples and expat/Thai couples

not tourists i think they would do OK, A lot of couples in Rawai and no one caters for them

With both Thai and western quality food at reasonable prices, tourist would use it as well once they new about it

That's a nice idea but the problem in tourist areas is that to get a place with parking you would be paying a lot for the land.

No chance of reasonable prices for your food

That's a nice idea but the problem in tourist areas is that to get a place with parking you would be paying a lot for the land.

I have no interest in a business here myself, but on baan nai harn road where the islander restaurant is there are

suitable properties with plenty of land which are not being used commercially

Lots of money being invested on new returaunts along Stinky Rawai beach with the fecal stench not s good idea...

Sent from my SGP311 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are right about the sewer smell but it has only been noticeable when dining once. I'd suggest checking them out. The three restaurants are owned by one Thai chap - an Italian restaurant, a salad bar and a Thai. The Salad bar is really outstanding, fresh and delicious and the Thai dishes beautifully presented. The Sushi and Japanese grill on the beach road are both terrific also.

Hopefully they won't all close down next month!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile appjxnhl

• Like 1

To stick to the local restaurant theme, has anyone tried Mama Mia next to Rimlay, next to Nikitas? I see they offer a Monday and Thursday buffett for 350 which isn't bad for on the water. A friend of mine eats there every few weeks and says it's good ( a la carte), but I'm wondering about the buffett. Speaking of buffetts, a new restaurant called Monsoon ( next to the above mentioned salad and Thai restaurants) has a sign out for a 169 baht breakfast with free flow of coffee and tea. I'm always hesitant to try new places until a few reviews happen.

To stick to the local restaurant theme, has anyone tried Mama Mia next to Rimlay, next to Nikitas? I see they offer a Monday and Thursday buffett for 350 which isn't bad for on the water. A friend of mine eats there every few weeks and says it's good ( a la carte), but I'm wondering about the buffett. Speaking of buffetts, a new restaurant called Monsoon ( next to the above mentioned salad and Thai restaurants) has a sign out for a 169 baht breakfast with free flow of coffee and tea. I'm always hesitant to try new places until a few reviews happen.

Tried out the burger at Mama Mia which was above averagem say 6 or 7 out of 10, so the buffet could be OK. Did Monsoon used to be called Marco Polo? If so they would need to improve.

Tried out the burger at Mama Mia which was above averagem say 6 or 7 out of 10, so the buffet could be OK. Did Monsoon used to be called Marco Polo? If so they would need to improve.

Thanks Valentine. Come to think of it, I'm sure the Monsoon restaurant was called Marco Polo for a few weeks. I guess it didn't work out as an Italian restaurant.

I cycle the beach road nearly every day on my way to/from Laem Phromthep. Virtually all of the side of the road where the restaurants are has defined nose/tail to kerb parking (I'm estimating around 100 spaces). 40 minutes ago, around 1 p.m., (peak lunchtime) there must have been at least 70 spaces empty. Parking does not appear to be a problem in that area, but lack of customers definitely is.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I cycle the beach road nearly every day on my way to/from Laem Phromthep. Virtually all of the side of the road where the restaurants are has defined nose/tail to kerb parking (I'm estimating around 100 spaces). 40 minutes ago, around 1 p.m., (peak lunchtime) there must have been at least 70 spaces empty. Parking does not appear to be a problem in that area, but lack of customers definitely is.

And which restaurant would you recommend along that stretch of road for western and Thai food of a editable quality

Medium priced not thai or Tourist price, inbetween like Nikitas pricing but better quality food

And which restaurant would you recommend along that stretch of road for western and Thai food of a editable quality

Medium priced not thai or Tourist price, inbetween like Nikitas pricing but better quality food

I've only tried a couple of restaurants along the beach 'strip', none of them worth recommending. Somebody has recommendef the new salad redtaurant however. Because of the traffic hassle south of Chalong Circle and lack of quality eateries, we rarely venture to Rawai or that area. I would however recommend the couple of seafood restaurants in the Sea Gypsy village area, where you have the option of bringing your own fresh seafood to be cooked, however it does get crowded, but there isn't the price gouging typical to that area.

The problem that I see with Rawai is that there really isn't a large enough local (Thai) population to spawn good local restaurants, at least not until you get towards Chalong Circle.

I'm actually having a very good supper of breaded chocken withashed potato at my local favourite eatery in Chalong. My supper, 180 baht.:)

Edited by pagallim

There are so many restaurants in the Rawai/Nai Harn area that it's a wonder any of them can make any money.

The ones that do the best for expats seem to be Kallots, and M&M.

My favorite is still Wine Lovers. (in the area) I'm impressed with the chef, both taste and presentation.

And for seafood, we make the long trip to Laem Hin 4-5 times a year.

My wife is a better cook than the ones at most of the places we've tried, but I do get hungry for some Bakery's, Mexican and Italian food once in a while.

I'm glad to see the Japanese place although I was never a big fan of Jap food (portions just too small for me)

Anyone notice the revolving sushi place at the new Tesco on Choafa West? (haven't tried it but I saw they had an AYCE deal)

Edited by fiddlehead

There are so many restaurants in the Rawai/Nai Harn area that it's a wonder any of them can make any money.

The ones that do the best for expats seem to be Kallots, and M&M.

My favorite is still Wine Lovers. (in the area) I'm impressed with the chef, both taste and presentation.

And for seafood, we make the long trip to Laem Hin 4-5 times a year.

My wife is a better cook than the ones at most of the places we've tried, but I do get hungry for some Bakery's, Mexican and Italian food once in a while.

I'm glad to see the Japanese place although I was never a big fan of Jap food (portions just too small for me)

Anyone notice the revolving sushi place at the new Tesco on Choafa West? (haven't tried it but I saw they had an AYCE deal)

Laem Hin is awesome food. And wine lovers is pretty good too. If you like Japanese all you can eat the buffet at index is pretty good

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Laem Hin is awesome food. And wine lovers is pretty good too. If you like Japanese all you can eat the buffet at index is pretty good

Laem Hin is OK, though (having been there many times over the last 5/6 years or so) is that they forego quality over quantity. My preference in that area is Talay Thong. Still beside the sea, but without the mass market feel of Laem Hin.

Laem Hin is OK, though (having been there many times over the last 5/6 years or so) is that they forego quality over quantity. My preference in that area is Talay Thong. Still beside the sea, but without the mass market feel of Laem Hin.

The crappy ride over from that Muslim wharf is awful. But I reckon it's worth pushing through the punishment

The crappy ride over from that Muslim wharf is awful. But I reckon it's worth pushing through the punishment

Sorry, you need to explain exactly where you mean. Laem Hin seafood is shoreside, with quite a large parking area. There's a jetty nearby that services longtails going to the floating restaurants (not my scene, hygiene more than a little suspect), and resort vessels servicing some local offshore island places.

Talay Thong is slightly to the north of Laem Hin.

Gotta say we're straying more than a little from the OP, about 15 km in my estimate.

Edited by pagallim

Be out of business soon if you ask me, 150-- bath for a samsong coke,

quite a lot of people in that restaurant yesterday, you better stick to your local issan-bar..

quite a lot of people in that restaurant yesterday, you better stick to your local issan-bar..

Dumb remark

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I get your post at all, what difference is there between an expat or a tourist potential customer? They usually have the same tastebuds. You can only target tourists if your restaurant looks nice while the food is overpriced and not good, because the expats will know to avoid it. Not a great business plan for the low season. I don't think the "tourists traps" (examples?) do it on purpose.

As for the parking, maybe you drive a hummer but most decent restaurants have a dedicated parking lot, and even if they haven't you can park your car in front of that restaurant 95% of the time. Celtique, M&M, Jungle Rum, L'Orfeo, East 88, Norbu all have a parking lot, and they are fine (although I haven't tried l'Orfeo since the owner changed and heard Norbu has gone downhill). You can park easily park your car on the whole of rawai beach front and you have tons of thai sea food restaurants, korean BBQ (much better than thai bbq), a sushi place, a steak house, salad bar, Nikita's, etc...

A lot of expat couples and no one caters for them? I think you should look better. The choice of restaurant is amazing in rawai, for such a small place.

French food? Celtique (and they even serve thai food for the unlucky expat whose wife's tastebuds cannot eat anything without a ton of chili in it). Most other french places I tried are good too.

Italian/greek? Jungle Rum

Pizza? MM, Rossovivo, Modena

Thai stir fried stuff? Moo

Thai curry soup? Brown rice

Thai salad & grilled chicken? Somtumlanna

Cheap steaks or pastas food? Hen Chef, Rawai steak

Indian? Tandoori nights

Sushi? Rawai beach new place just opened

Now we only need chinese, japanese, lebanese restaurants and it will be even better.

• Like 1

I've only tried a couple of restaurants along the beach 'strip', none of them worth recommending. Somebody has recommendef the new salad redtaurant however. Because of the traffic hassle south of Chalong Circle and lack of quality eateries, we rarely venture to Rawai or that area. I would however recommend the couple of seafood restaurants in the Sea Gypsy village area, where you have the option of bringing your own fresh seafood to be cooked, however it does get crowded, but there isn't the price gouging typical to that area.

The problem that I see with Rawai is that there really isn't a large enough local (Thai) population to spawn good local restaurants, at least not until you get towards Chalong Circle.

I'm actually having a very good supper of breaded chocken withashed potato at my local favourite eatery in Chalong. My supper, 180 baht.smile.png

I agree with you, most thai seafood places on rawai beach front are not that good and a bit expensive. Once in a while we randomly chose a place to eat some nice seafood with a good view and we are always a bit disappointed. Maybe there is a specific one to recommend among those dozens of similar looking restaurants?

On the other hand I think you are wrong for thai restaurants in rawai. There is more than enough thai population in the area, there must be 50 thai joints opened in the whole of rawai/nai harn. The only problem is to find the good ones as they are mostly below average or just bad. I haven't tried them all but if you target specific food you can find a few good places.

• Like 1

I get your post at all, what difference is there between an expat or a tourist potential customer? They usually have the same tastebuds. You can only target tourists if your restaurant looks nice while the food is overpriced and not good, because the expats will know to avoid it. Not a great business plan for the low season. I don't think the "tourists traps" (examples?) do it on purpose.

As for the parking, maybe you drive a hummer but most decent restaurants have a dedicated parking lot, and even if they haven't you can park your car in front of that restaurant 95% of the time. Celtique, M&M, Jungle Rum, L'Orfeo, East 88, Norbu all have a parking lot, and they are fine (although I haven't tried l'Orfeo since the owner changed and heard Norbu has gone downhill). You can park easily park your car on the whole of rawai beach front and you have tons of thai sea food restaurants, korean BBQ (much better than thai bbq), a sushi place, a steak house, salad bar, Nikita's, etc...

A lot of expat couples and no one caters for them? I think you should look better. The choice of restaurant is amazing in rawai, for such a small place.

French food? Celtique (and they even serve thai food for the unlucky expat whose wife's tastebuds cannot eat anything without a ton of chili in it). Most other french places I tried are good too.

Italian/greek? Jungle Rum

Pizza? MM, Rossovivo, Modena

Thai stir fried stuff? Moo

Thai curry soup? Brown rice

Thai salad & grilled chicken? Somtumlanna

Cheap steaks or pastas food? Hen Chef, Rawai steak

Indian? Tandoori nights

Sushi? Rawai beach new place just opened

Now we only need chinese, japanese, lebanese restaurants and it will be even better.

Parking for motorbikes only at most places and the expats i know use a vehicle when eating out

There is parking at Rawai beach front but i have yet to find decent food, or what i call decent anyway and i am not a fussy eater

Thai people like chilli in their food, thanks for pointing that out, its their country anyway, cater for them

No difference between a expat or tourist customer except the expats are here all the year and most eat out regularly, tourists

only a couple of weeks and do not have a clue whats value for money because most things on the menu are cheaper than their home country

but not as good and they do not eat in tourists traps in their home country, not the sensible ones anyway

Pizza is a take away food where i come from , and mutch better and cheaper than the pizza's served up in restaurants here

Whats the name of your restaurant

Only restaurant i have eaten at which is popular with both expats and tourists and serves both western and thai food which are both excellent

quality and better priced by far that restaurants here is in Khao Lak, People from resort hotels eat there regularly which speaks for itself

Edited by nedkellylives

Parking for motorbikes only at most places and the expats i know use a vehicle when eating out

There is parking at Rawai beach front but i have yet to find decent food, or what i call decent anyway and i am not a fussy eater

Thai people like chilli in their food, thanks for pointing that out, its their country anyway, cater for them

No difference between a expat or tourist customer except the expats are here all the year and most eat out regularly, tourists

only a couple of weeks and do not have a clue whats value for money because most things on the menu are cheaper than their home country

but not as good and they do not eat in tourists traps in their home country, not the sensible ones anyway

Pizza is a take away food where i come from , and mutch better and cheaper than the pizza's served up in restaurants here

Only restaurant i have eaten at which is popular with both expats and tourists and serves both western and thai food which are both excellent

quality and better priced by far that restaurants here is in Khao Lak, People from resort hotels eat there regularly which speaks for itself

Yeah well as I was saying plenty of restaurants have a dedicated parking lot big enough for a car or even a hummer. It would be easier to tell me which restaurant you have trouble parking in front of. None comes to mind right now. By the way rawai beach front offers now a decent sushi place, a fun korean bbq, a salad bar which had good a good review, one of the best steak of the island at Mando (disclaimer, haven't tried it for a while, maybe not so good anymore). That's already a nice range of restaurants excluding all the thai seafood places.

You want to avoid tourist traps like the pest. Well the first sign that a restaurant is a tourist trap is its menu. If it features several different cuisines one is usually bad, if not all of them. Better stick to dedicated local or regional restaurants. If your wife can't eat anything but thai food then should try to educate her palate. It would be faster than finding your graal, which seems to be a restaurant with a huge parking lot on the main street, serving delicious euro food and thai food, at dirt cheap prices. Good luck in your quest wink.png

Edited by pistachios

Yeah well as I was saying plenty of restaurants have a dedicated parking lot big enough for a car or even a hummer. It would be easier to tell me which restaurant you have trouble parking in front of. None comes to mind right now. By the way rawai beach front offers now a decent sushi place, a fun korean bbq, a salad bar which had good a good review, one of the best steak of the island at Mando (disclaimer, haven't tried it for a while, maybe not so good anymore). That's already a nice range of restaurants excluding all the thai seafood places.

You want to avoid tourist traps like the pest. Well the first sign that a restaurant is a tourist trap is its menu. If it features several different cuisines one is usually bad, if not all of them. Better stick to dedicated local or regional restaurants. If your wife can't eat anything but thai food then should try to educate her palate. It would be faster than finding your graal, which seems to be a restaurant with a huge parking lot on the main street, serving delicious euro food and thai food, at dirt cheap prices. Good luck in your quest wink.png

MY wife does eat western food when we are on holidays, She eats thai food here not foreign food as i do a lot of the time in Thailand

Its you who needs educating, its not farang land

IF you are getting around on a scooter as most farangs do especially at bars parking is not a problem, if you actually drove

a vehicle you would know there is a shortage of parking spaces at a lot ot locations but only the south of the island

Just keep riding around on your rented scooter you should not have a problem with parking, or you could rent or buy a vehicle

and then tell everyone how easy it is to park