Tourists shocked as Phuket beach water turns rancid again in Karon, this time black

webfact

Tourists shocked as Phuket beach water turns rancid again in Karon, this time black
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_2014224193814257_IFEXkhmGZsfe
The beach water suddenly turned from blue to black. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Locals, tourists and officials were shocked yesterday as water at one of Phuket’s most famous beaches turned rancid and black.

The stinking water flowed from Nong Han Canal across Karon Beach and into the ocean at a rate that transformed the color of the sea, Village Chief Winai Chidchiew told the Phuket Gazette.

“I went to see it myself after receiving a report from local people. It was absolutely shocking, the sea was black and there was a horrible smell,” Kamnan Winai said.

Kamnan Winai admitted that he had seen black water trickling from the canal into the ocean before, but had never seen it pouring out in such volume.

“I don’t know know what has caused this much outflow, but I think business operators in Karon dumped a lot of wastewater into the canal,” he said.

Kamnan Winai alleged that the Karon Municipality was aware of the problem, but had taken no steps to fix it.

“The problem must be fixed as soon as possible. So many tourists return to Karon because of its beauty. The more the problem is ignored the worse things will get – it will have an enormous effect on tourism for Karon.”

Karon Beach made headlines around the world three years ago when a German TV crew from a major channel found severely polluted water with high counts of coliform bacteria from human feces.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Tourists-shocked-as-Phuket-beach-water-turns-rancid-again-in-Karon-this-time-black-25683.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-02-25

• Like 1

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Karon sea spa!

With us you can enjoy the benefits of traditional Thai beauty tied together with modern urban lifestyle.

For this week's special, we have introduced black water treatment as latest addition to our services. This innovative new product will combine traditional mud bath treatment together instant tan offering, without the harmful sun's ultraviolet rays. All done in one tip to the ocean.

Additional benefits can include instant body cleansing, the natural way to loose weight fast.

Come now and enjoy the empty beach while you still can.

Kamnan Winai admitted that he had seen black water trickling from the canal into the ocean before, but had never seen it pouring out in such volume.

Kamnan Winai alleged that the Karon Municipality was aware of the problem, but had taken no steps to fix it.

Karon Beach made headlines around the world three years ago when a German TV crew from a major channel found severely polluted water with high counts of coliform bacteria from human feces.

Obviously someone is sleeping for a long time !!!

Time to wake up or step aside for someone who will do the job

clap2.gif

• Like 2

“I don’t know know what has caused this much outflow, but I think business operators in Karon dumped a lot of wastewater into the canal,” he said.

Hmmm, two things, lets try : (i) Untreated effluence building up during the dry season and no control (ii) Heavy rain last night across the west coast.

There we go. QED.