How gullible do they think we are ?

mandee

too many farangs have feelings of guilt for being "rich" whereas thai have not. they are rich because they deserve it (buddhism blahblah) and others are poor because they deserve it.

i've been asked once to lend 300 bath for a bd present for the kid (family i know, back then in serious $ trouble). i said: i don't lend money but we go together, buy the present u had in mind, i pay and you give it to the kid as gift from both of us. so we did, price 280 THB, change 20 THB back to my pocket.

mum happy, kid happy, rich uncle farang happy. ever since i'm jai-dee and was never asked for money again.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they seriously underestimate how gullible Farangs are.

I find those (Thai or anywhere else in the world) who lie often are generally the worst at doing it. The interesting thing about the Thai variety of liar is they seem to do it even when it's not necessary.

I swear if that sooner or later (you get mixed up with one of the cheesier of these kwim-weazels) you'll even catch her lying about what DAY it is or what TIME it is. And of course they'll be that endless "KAAAAA-ing" and those "mariaaat Thai" lectures and passive-aggressive sessions about "Thai cowchah" after you catch her out.

But stick to your guns: you've caught her out.

BUT see?

YOU are the Philistine here. You caused a loss of face.

In "Thai cowchah" lying and stealing and cheating is just "bidnet" but catching them out at it and nailing them and CAUSING that loss of that all-important Thai face is tantamount to the release of a bedfart.

What will you have done that's so terrible ?????

Well, you have shown the whole room (her family, her homies) that she was too forking stoopid to scam you.

That she had underestimated you.

And that she was incompetent in a "bidnet" transaction.

YOUR face means nothing.

They're easy to outflank and to outmanoeuvre though.

"The first one's the hardest. After that, you'll pull the trigger just to watch their expression change"

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

Pegged it for all of us here.......if what you have written here wasn't so trues I would be laughing till I cried, cheers.

Very gullible I think!

Just few personal experiences..in 2 years of single life in Chiang Mai..

1) On my first date ever in Thailand, a 42yo hair salon owner took me to a shopping mall for me to buy for her a 6000THB/cellular ...

2) On a first date a 43yo police officer shows me a brochure of new houses for sale in Chiang Mai..over 3 million bath.... saying "if you buy for me today we get married tomorrow"

3) On a first date with a 60yo active school principal, she said that she was looking for an older guy to get married, and to take care...if its will paid the 1 million debt she had....

4) On my first date with a 32yo, she asked for a 25000THB "loan" to buy merchandise for the opening of a restaurant she supposedly was opening that week...

5) On my first date, a 41yo told me that she will be my "exclusive" gik if I give her 20000THB/month.....I called her later to see if I can have another date. She responded that she already got a farang willing to pay her...and do not have time for me...that week.

6) On my first date with a 60yo retired government employee, she said that nothing was left of her retirement money and she was broke, and need a husband to pay her debts, her home mortgage, and her car loan....

My list for "favors" requests in second an third dates is too long to post here.

In compensation..I have a long list of nice dates too....and I am a "Cheap Charlie". Some still good friends, just friends.

I am married with a wonderful woman now.

By the way...I love Thailand!

Love the break down. Thanks, my laugh of the day.

• Like 1

This is the sad side of facebook and the internet.

People (not necessarily women) use it to scam others.

Equally sad is many women these days (in this case thai) think its okay to scam lonely men for money.

I guess where there's a demand (for sex and companionship) there's a supply, though not necessarily a genuine one.

In these days of internet I think we have to be a bit more cynical and on our toes using not only good common sense but a bit of investigative shrewdness.

Its easy to be sucked into the fantasy when your of weak mind.

In your case you caught on.

Edited by smileydude

Reading this I sense there are a few new hard men around. I admire the inventiveness and get stuck into it mindset that I see amongst poor people who dream up schemes to try and better themselves even if only a few baht and for a day. On the land and with land and in a place where there are so many things you can try. I stay out of it now having been, not conned, but not looking at things with enough rigor in my early years. If someone can jag a gullible farang good luck to them, then the farang becomes a new hard man on TV.

• Like 1

I have traveled and lived in many poor, developing countries. Never have I been asked to 'lend' money to people so much as in Thailand. When I first came here I was cashed up and gullible. In the first 3 years here l lent over 3,000,000 B to 17 different people. For everything from operations for mother, to opening a business, to can't pay the rent, to ticket to Switzerland to start job, need money for new born baby or they won't let me leave hospital etc etc etc. Never been paid back even 1 baht........gave up asking for repayment last year. But strict policy of absolutely no loans to Thai people anymore. I might add that a lot of these people earn more money than me and consider themselves my friends. Also never had any kind of sexual relationship with any of them.

17 people before you decided not to lend out anymore?????? Are you serious, you must have some sort of look about you. No Thai has ever asked me to lend them money in eight years here.

• Like 2

I have traveled and lived in many poor, developing countries. Never have I been asked to 'lend' money to people so much as in Thailand. When I first came here I was cashed up and gullible. In the first 3 years here l lent over 3,000,000 B to 17 different people. For everything from operations for mother, to opening a business, to can't pay the rent, to ticket to Switzerland to start job, need money for new born baby or they won't let me leave hospital etc etc etc. Never been paid back even 1 baht........gave up asking for repayment last year. But strict policy of absolutely no loans to Thai people anymore. I might add that a lot of these people earn more money than me and consider themselves my friends. Also never had any kind of sexual relationship with any of them.

17 people before you decided not to lend out anymore?????? Are you serious, you must have some sort of look about you. No Thai has ever asked me to lend them money in eight years here.

I have been asked three times by in laws. The first time I was paid back I was surprised. The second time I was not surprised and the third time I will get the money Monday.

Edit

I might add that I do not lone money that I can not afford to give to them. There are very few farongs that I will lend money to and expect them to pay it back. Most of them I just tell to pay7 it back to some one who they come across in need. As you may have surmised I do not lend great sums of money.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 1

Thai people prefer to talk about the positive, talking about bad experiences represents a loss of face. Ever ask a businessman in Thailand how's business? It's always great.

So when stories go about generous farangs, nobody talks about farangs who didn't buy this or that, just the farangs who paid for this, loaned for this, bought this house, financed this buffalo, etc.

It makes you all look like idiots.

On the other hand, telling friends or customers that your business is failing will never help your business. You will then fail for sure. You give up, it gives up. Always stay positive with customers.

Very gullible I think!

1) On my first date ever in Thailand, a 42yo hair salon owner took me to a shopping mall for me to buy for her a 6000THB/cellular ...

2) On a first date a 43yo police officer shows me a brochure of new houses for sale in Chiang Mai..over 3 million bath.... saying "if you buy for me today we get married tomorrow"

3) On a first date with a 60yo active school principal, she said that she was looking for an older guy to get married, and to take care...if its will paid the 1 million debt she had....

4) On my first date with a 32yo, she asked for a 25000THB "loan" to buy merchandise for the opening of a restaurant she supposedly was opening that week...

5) On my first date, a 41yo told me that she will be my "exclusive" gik if I give her 20000THB/month.....I called her later to see if I can have another date. She responded that she already got a farang willing to pay her...and do not have time for me...that week.

6) On my first date with a 60yo retired government employee, she said that nothing was left of her retirement money and she was broke, and need a husband to pay her debts, her home mortgage, and her car loan....

My list for "favors" requests in second an third dates is too long to post here.

In compensation..I have a long list of nice dates too....and I am a "Cheap Charlie". Some still good friends, just friends.

What you should have done,

Date younger women, they generally seem to want less than your collection of old boilers.

Younger than 32??? I am 70.....By the way, after my 47yo wife, the most beautiful Thai woman I dated was that 60yo retired, and the ugliest the 32yo restaurant owner...The most beautiful Thai woman I met...is a doctor, 46 yo. I didn't dated her. She is looking for a rich farang, and we just become good friends. She is stunning, I just was out of qualifications... Nothing better than get beauty, intelligence and experience together....I tried..I told her that I am not just perfect...I am Brazilian too!...but...she didn't believed...

My wife did...

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

Thai people prefer to talk about the positive, talking about bad experiences represents a loss of face. Ever ask a businessman in Thailand how's business? It's always great.

So when stories go about generous farangs, nobody talks about farangs who didn't buy this or that, just the farangs who paid for this, loaned for this, bought this house, financed this buffalo, etc.

It makes you all look like idiots.

At least that's a positive note.........every Taxi man I have ever met (in Europe) always have the same story when asked how is business?........ "business is very bad". Of course the positive in that answer is................they're obviously not worried about "face".

Don't deserve it but there are a lot of gullible expats over here lonely enough to fall for any scam.

Buying houses for women is one of the favorite ones.crazy.gif

Not sure about your "lonely enough" thing but yes, many cannot see the wood from the trees for sure.

lonely sure, low self esteem, lacking a grasp of reality, easily flattered... traits of men, and some women visiting turkey and some african coutries, who make the fundamental mistake of believing money can buy you love.

if you are one of these guys and you dont believe me check it out for yourself; cut off the cash and see how long she stays around. i really hope she does but i would bet my mortgage she'll be in the wind faster than you can say mai me setang...

Those women who go to Turkey, or any African countries are seeking sex, not love. Same usually goes for men.

I had a time when I had no more money, before my house in Germany was sold, staying with my wife, but not married. And guess what she did.

A phone call to her brother and we had enough money, until I'd gotten my money. Please don't make all Thai women here to money hungry monsters.

Would a girl in a Western country look for "the real love" and live a poor life, or marry a guy with cash? -wai.gif

You could say that being gullible is the other side of the coin to trusting other people. I've heard many 'experts' say that the reasons for why northern european countries, and likely many smaller american towns, are so succesful and with little crime is because people there trust each other.

When I believe I can trust my neighbor is when I can stop building a huge wall and instead build something more productive.

The ability to trust others and therefore work together is to some degree a prerequisite for functioning society. Some people don't get that and would rather stuff their face today from swindling someone instead of eating well for the rest of their lives.

Perhaps the poor are poor because they have poor morals.

• Like 2

Very gullible I think!

Wow I think I will stick to the under 30's as they request a lot less and they are not usually past their sell by date, although some have been close.

• Like 1

There is another side to this.

Many of the bar girls do enter their profession due to a family tragedy of some kind.

They often were in a desperate financial situation. The buffalo really was sick.

As above, "only give what you can afford to lose".

correct, and since the thail elite (government) doesn't care about the dark-skinned poor, it's up to the western "elite" (LOL!) to provide social security...

Great post.

I got nailed on : "Hospital won't release Mom to my care unless I pay 10,000 Baht."

This was by the administrative assistant from our office who handled our visa renewals. She was an nice enough woman. Noi had a University degree was the ass't to our VERY well-placed Thai consigliere. She added that Mom was a Mae Chi and since she was very fat she could never work.

I lent her the money without an IOU because she held a position of trust in our company and she had handled my passport for over a year. It was to have been repaid upon reimbursement by Noi's BUPA policy at the end of the current month.

I approached her for repayment two weeks later on payday.

She gave me two thousand.

She informed me a) that BUPA was slow and B) that her cousin was an enforcement officer for the Immigration bureau and gave me a deep wai.

I got the message. She was going to steal the remaining 8K and there was nothing I could do about it AND (most offensively) she was implying from behind that greasy thank you "wai" that she had decided for BOTH of us that the remaining cash was a gift.

I have up after a few intra-office inquiries.

See her occasionally (BTS and Withiyu area) on the BTS, in Central Chidlom, Ratchaprasong, Chatuchak and in the Street.

(This happens a couple of times a year and at this point I have turned it into a bit of a game)

It's been more than ten years that this has been going on so the karmic curse point is clearly in play by now.

I always strike up a friendly conversation as a prelude to my real purpose for bothering with her at all.

On these occasions I NEVER FAIL to interrupt our bavardage with a feigned embarrassment to ask NOI to repay the money.

If she's with a couple of Thais I ask in Thai and calculate the interest and tack it on.

If she's squiring a gringo, I ask in English and add the interest.

She never spots me first but some of her work friends have recognized me after repeat encounters and seem to be enjoying her discomfort. (Bet she "borrows" from them all the time)

I have had knowing looks from these friends and a few interesting smiles.

Baht for baht it's developing into a fascinating piece of street theatre.

By now I suspect Miss Noi's foray's into lunchtime shopping have for her the sense of frisson a stray cat soon gets in a room full of rocking chairs.

And yes, yes, yes, I am a very, very very bad man.

Let the buyer beware. We are the consumers so it's our responsibility to know the marketplace. I find no fault with the thinking patterns in this marketplace because the underlying intellect drives everything. It's not their fault...it's ours. Having had similar experiences has educated me to what I need to be aware of when out and about. Kumin Suntaree wrote a very interesting article about his culture. It should be mandatory reading supplied to all travelers from their respective embassies. Be forewarned and be prepared. Our finances are OUR responsibility....not the locals. You can NOT fault them for looking for an easy payday because that is what we represent. And what human being does NOT want an easy payday? When I first came here I was led astray by my ex-business partners...telling me to give a big tip in order to help "these poor unfortunates". Little did I realize I was contributing to this problem of perception. Yes giving a 300 baht tip meant nothing to me when I was making a foreign income but now that all my earnings are derived from this economy, things have changed dramatically. I hate to see foreigners come here and literally throw away heaping mounds of cash not thinking about the false perceptions they are creating and the adverse effects this has on Thais and foreigners alike. Both parties have created a slavering thirsty monster who has no regard for humans.

I have learned the hard way: Caveat Emptor.

May the Foo Bird of Happiness not find you sleeping.

• Like 1

<<>>>

Excellent distinction trainman

To most Thais, this English term "budget" is NOT A PLAN to allocate resources and cash flow.

To most of these fiscally ignorant people "no habv "budget" for this just means "I don't have the money"

Buy mis-using the term "budget" they hope to be opening the zipper to some bottomless gringo pocket.

I know Thais with NO education to speak of who label used envelops according to phone, rent, tuition, food etc.

This has nothing to do with education and EVERYTHING to do with attitude.

If they haven' "budget" for this tell 'em you feel their pain but you have money issues of your own.

Right you are Khun Suradit. I find its always better to overpay and overtip. And I am often pleasantly surprised by how much and how far playing the silly bugger still gets me. Its not like it costs a whole lot

I had a time when I had no more money, before my house in Germany was sold, staying with my wife, but not married. And guess what she did.

A phone call to her brother and we had enough money, until I'd gotten my money. Please don't make all Thai women here to money hungry monsters.

Would a girl in a Western country look for "the real love" and live a poor life, or marry a guy with cash? -wai.gif

Same here, needed quick cash short term and the brother-in-law lent an amount equal to couple of years savings (for him) without hesitation. It's not all bad, there's good Thais out there too.

It seems a lot of us must all have the same girlfriend !

That would explain all those mysterious "I'll be back in 2 hours teerak. Jing Jing ! (and then doesn't show up until 2 days later)" events !

The good news is, it isn't just farangs that get hit with it. Some of my Thai friends complain bitterly about (usually) their in-laws and their constant money-grubbing. It's usually the wive's relatives pinging on her to try and get the husband to buy stuff for them or lend them money for whatever scheme they've cooked up.

I had to laugh at one guy. Last year it seems her relatives came to visit. When they left, they took a bunch of "extra" stuff with them, like his TV and other electronics. I told him we should return the favour. We'd drive to their place in his truck, stay awhile and then load up the truck with his stuff and whatever else they have laying around that looks worthwhile.

His main concern is that he'd have to put up with the wife afterwards and that's hard enough at times now !

The latest soon-to-be-ex has just decided that she wants to be one of those "illegal" lottery sellers now. I guess being a dental assistant doesn't pay enough (plus you actually have to show up and work) !! Same for being a (traditional) Thai masseuse and a Travel Agent before that. I recall some scheme last year about nail salons too. Oh and the short lived "Condo Sales Representative"

Last time she tried to hit me up for money she tried to use the "I'll have to go work in my friend's bar if you don't give me the money." - I told her "Good luck, you should have no problem finding plenty of rich, sexy men to give you all the money you want."

Probably a good thing I wasn't anywhere close enough for her to throw a tantrum at ! I think she went home to her "mom" to sulk. Or is pulling a sob story on another potential walking ATM.

There are far too many "easy" marks in Thailand and that is a prime reason for why Pattaya is a world leader in the Hi-rise Balcony Jumping Competition (Without Parachute Division).

The old "There's a sucker born every minute (and 2 to take him)" quote needs updating, as in Pattaya at least, there seems to be a dozen or more for every sucker that hits town.

But you're only as gullible as you allow yourself to be. Think with the big head more often and remember that "no means no" works both ways !

• Like 1

As 16000 bhat is a mere armful of handbags I would suggest you eliminate the market stall overhead completely and recommend she sells from a bicycle . Bicycles are easily modified with bamboo poles or broom handles, attached to the tubular metal frame , serving as convenient handbag wracks . She'll thank you for saving her a wad of cash.

biggrin.png Or alternately, she will gouge your eyes out for suggestion she pedal a rice-powered pushbike under the hot sun going door-to-door like a beggar instead of sitting in the shadow at her stall sipping cold coke and socializing with others...

They think we are totally gullible- and we often are :)

Word gets around and there is a certain amount of "I can top that one" bragging amongst the girls.

What is the old saying? "Them that's asks gets..." The Thais have totally embraced this concept :)

Rock on!

It seems a lot of us must all have the same girlfriend !

That would explain all those mysterious "I'll be back in 2 hours teerak. Jing Jing ! (and then doesn't show up until 2 days later)" events !

The good news is, it isn't just farangs that get hit with it. Some of my Thai friends complain bitterly about (usually) their in-laws and their constant money-grubbing. It's usually the wive's relatives pinging on her to try and get the husband to buy stuff for them or lend them money for whatever scheme they've cooked up.

I had to laugh at one guy. Last year it seems her relatives came to visit. When they left, they took a bunch of "extra" stuff with them, like his TV and other electronics. I told him we should return the favour. We'd drive to their place in his truck, stay awhile and then load up the truck with his stuff and whatever else they have laying around that looks worthwhile.

His main concern is that he'd have to put up with the wife afterwards and that's hard enough at times now !

The latest soon-to-be-ex has just decided that she wants to be one of those "illegal" lottery sellers now. I guess being a dental assistant doesn't pay enough (plus you actually have to show up and work) !! Same for being a (traditional) Thai masseuse and a Travel Agent before that. I recall some scheme last year about nail salons too. Oh and the short lived "Condo Sales Representative"

Last time she tried to hit me up for money she tried to use the "I'll have to go work in my friend's bar if you don't give me the money." - I told her "Good luck, you should have no problem finding plenty of rich, sexy men to give you all the money you want."

Probably a good thing I wasn't anywhere close enough for her to throw a tantrum at ! I think she went home to her "mom" to sulk. Or is pulling a sob story on another potential walking ATM.

There are far too many "easy" marks in Thailand and that is a prime reason for why Pattaya is a world leader in the Hi-rise Balcony Jumping Competition (Without Parachute Division).

The old "There's a sucker born every minute (and 2 to take him)" quote needs updating, as in Pattaya at least, there seems to be a dozen or more for every sucker that hits town.

But you're only as gullible as you allow yourself to be. Think with the big head more often and remember that "no means no" works both ways !

When ever I "spoted" some money to a girl I always got a better deal then when I spoted money to my older son in the US LOL