Bank accounts in Thailand

Kasikorn Bank has an English language webpage, outlining the requirements for foreigners opening bank accounts. Of interest to me was the "individual" savings/ATM account ( I'll be depositing Thai baht) No work permit required, very simple and quick to open. The webpage was updated Feb. 26th 2014.

Kasikorn Bank has an English language webpage, outlining the requirements for foreigners opening bank accounts. Of interest to me was the "individual" savings/ATM account ( I'll be depositing Thai baht) No work permit required, very simple and quick to open. The webpage was updated Feb. 26th 2014.

Is there a question in here or are you promoting Kasikorn? Other banks have English language information available too. Generally easier to open an account in areas where the bank would have many farang customers, but it tends to depend on the manager's attitude toward such things.

If you are depositing baht bought overseas, it's usually better to send foreign exchange into your account and have the bank convert it to baht for you. Better rates and lower fees. If you intend to use the money in the account to back up an extension of stay application, regular deposit in baht without a work permit and no evidence of foreign sourced deposits might raise some questions.

I was at the Kasikornbank in Pattaya (Pattaya Tai branche) and a German couple tried to open a bank-account carrying a tourist visa.

Purpose of the bank-account was the immigration's requirement of THB 800,000 in a Thai bank-account.

The bank refused the application!!

This was last Monday, 24-2-2014.

Despite what ever information is posted on websites, it all comes down to what the local branch manager is willing or not willing to do. You could have two branches of the same bank within a 100 meters of each other but with conflicting policies. Its a matter of shopping around.