Buying a car...Is the type of Visa you have important?

mikey88

I want to buy a car. I come and go so up to now I've only gotten a tourist visa. Car I buy a car..new or used..with a tourist visa only....do they care what type of visa you have?

I don't see why they should but of course....you never know.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated...

Mike

They will photocopy your passport, you pay for the car (assuming it is in stock) and they issue temporary red plates at which time you will need to return within 2-4 weeks with a certificate of residence from either the immigration office or your embassy.

It is that easy.

Kurt

I bought a new car from Honda last week- they needed copies of passport etc , and said bring in the certificate of residence as soon as possible- not a problem as own a condo.

The only problem I would see- does the OP have a permanent address, own a property or have a lease on a rented property? You will need this to get your certificate from immigration.

Very good info all the way around, as some farangs are still told the only way to buy a m/c or car is to put it in the name of their favorite bar girl or gf.

Idiots. As one friend of mine is. Brought 800,000 baht in a backpack to buy a new car with his bar girl/rip off artist. Only knew her for two weeks. She brought a friend and the car dealer told my buddy to sit somewhere in the waiting room while they paid with his money and signed all the documents. They were given free gifts for his purchase...lol...he did not even get the T shirt. He drove the car for two weeks and it turned up missing one morning. She had taken it from the hotel with a spare key and drove it to another town. Police/lawyers...nothing worked. In fact, he almost got arrested for calling her a thief...and had to apologize at the police station.

I could have helped him, but he never told me he was putting the whole wad of cash down. He said he was putting 120,000 only. Either way, he is, and remains still, an idiot.

• Like 2

Very good info all the way around, as some farangs are still told the only way to buy a m/c or car is to put it in the name of their favorite bar girl or gf.

Idiots. As one friend of mine is. Brought 800,000 baht in a backpack to buy a new car with his bar girl/rip off artist. Only knew her for two weeks. She brought a friend and the car dealer told my buddy to sit somewhere in the waiting room while they paid with his money and signed all the documents. They were given free gifts for his purchase...lol...he did not even get the T shirt. He drove the car for two weeks and it turned up missing one morning. She had taken it from the hotel with a spare key and drove it to another town. Police/lawyers...nothing worked. In fact, he almost got arrested for calling her a thief...and had to apologize at the police station.

I could have helped him, but he never told me he was putting the whole wad of cash down. He said he was putting 120,000 only. Either way, he is, and remains still, an idiot.

Not the sharpest tool in the box, but if he was on a tourist visa 120,000 wouldn't haven't entertained the dealer either...

I didnt have a residency certificate. They still sold me the car with just a copy of my passport and visa, and Thailand address.

and do you have the registration book with your name and address entered into the book. If yes then the dealer took care of the Residence Cert. If no then maybe you need to check this out again.

• Like 1

Absolutely nothing to do with question asked

Don't know if you have thought about this or not, but if you are gone for awhile, you might want to make sure someone is checking up on your car once in awhile. I only mention this because we had some trouble with rats in our car while we were gone. I think it happened when we parked either at the lots at Hillside 3 or Hillside 4. The car smelled awful for quite awhile even after we had the engine area cleaned up and blasted. We were very lucky they did not chew through the wiring.

Also, we make sure that we are here when the car inspection (required > 7 years), road tax and car insurance are due. Just thought I would mention this for your planning. Oh, I think someone had mentioned something about the drivers license requiring a specific type of visa (not tourist), but it might have been for the 5 year renewal.

I bought a 2ndhand Toyota from Toyota Sure in Chiang Mai a month ago they insisted on a Cert of Residence which is kept by the Transport Dept. For everyone's info CM Immigration Office that issues C of Res. is closed for a month big sign on the door 'Sorry for any Inconvenience" ha ha was there last Thurs not sure when it reopens.

I didnt have a residency certificate. They still sold me the car with just a copy of my passport and visa, and Thailand address.

Same here,car and bike.

I don't doubt what you say. However i think you would find that the dealer sorted out all the paperwork on your behalf. Vehicile Dept will not put foreigner owner title in a vehicle with proof of address in Thailand, as in a cert of residence or other form of proof.

• 1 month later...

Same here,car and bike.

I don't doubt what you say. However i think you would find that the dealer sorted out all the paperwork on your behalf. Vehicile Dept will not put foreigner owner title in a vehicle with proof of address in Thailand, as in a cert of residence or other form of proof.

Darkside

Turns out you were right in my case.

Toyota called several weeks later asking for a residency cert.

It was no problem getting one but cost 800 baht.

Just a pain in the ass but that's Thailand.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by MonkeyLoo

.lol...he did not even get the T shirt.

Without doubt he got the T shirt

• 2 weeks later...

Not the sharpest tool in the box, but if he was on a tourist visa 120,000 wouldn't haven't entertained the dealer either...

Very true...120,000 down payment would not get a farang a new car. With his cash purchase, it should of been in his name. He probably did not know it could be arranged.

If he wanted to do it another way,....

.....He could have had somebody else to put down even 85,000 baht...then leased the car from that person...with the help of a lawyer. He would be...renting his own car with the option to buy when payments are finished (making arrangements to pay the dealer directly... He could lease it for the duration of the credit agreement, and then gain ownership. I am pretty sure this would work. If things went amiss with the bar gal he was so generous to, he could just default on payments...which would invalidate the lease agreement....and would have only lost only the 85,0000. Some people do not have 800,000 cash...or even 350,000 for a farang down payment.

I am looking into this now.