Sophon Broadband Modem

RabC

I have just had the power supply for my modem (not router) blow up on me for a second time. I am an electronics engineer by trade and noticed that the power supplies that come with the modems are 5V 1A however the modem itself is rated at 5V 1.2A. I have also noticed that my modem runs quite hot.

Sophon offered me a new power supply free of charge but I see no point in using this as I have already blown 2 and there appears to be a mismatch , I bought my own 5V 1.5A rated supply.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone else suffered with a blown power supply?

2. Does your modem run quite warm?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Edited to add, this is also my second modem as Sophon changed it out when the first power supply blew, both run quite warm

Edited by RabC

My Sophon modem/power supply blows up a couple of times every year. No big deal; I just unplug it and take it in to the Sophon shop opposite Friendship and they give me a replacement which I plug back in and off we go for a few more months. I suppose I could call them instead and have them come out to replace it, but it's more trouble than going in myself.

My Sophon modem runs a bit warm to the touch, but the power supply does not. I've never had a problem with either in 3 years. Sounds like you should replace the modem. They will give you a swap for free. You should also have your modem power supply running off of a UPS to avoid the famous local power surges.