How good is snorkling normally in march on Samui/Tan/Tao.

Virt

Arrive on Monday and haven't been on Samui in March before, but when i look at the recent videos on youtube it looks like it's still a bit windy with quite some waves at Chaweng/Lamai.

I assume that's not so good for snorkling.

Reason why i ask is because i have a normal set i bought 2 seasons ago which functions ok, but i maybe

want to visit a diveshop in Copenhagen tomorrow and buy a mask with prescription glasses in it (or what is it called, Lenses in glass for shortsighted).

I'm about -4 on both eyes so i guess it would improve the experience when snorkling with a mask with lenses built into it.

But dont' want to spend a whole lot of money for it, if the conditions for snorkling is not so good in March.

Normally we just swim out and relax with some very casual snorkling near Chaweng/matlang,

but have also been to Koh Tao and Koh tan for snorkling and probably want to do that again this time.

Thanks.

And now i will enjoy another Irish Coffee here in the cold north.

Cheers.

:)

Conditions are not the best at the moment but picking up and later March/April are often excellent. Koh Tao is normally by far the best for snorkeling as the water is clearer.

Could always wait until you get here then buy the prescription mask if you think conditions justify. I got mine sorted at Dive Supply and they were really helpful. They had a reasonable stock of lenses and fitted mine on the spot. Doubt there would be a big difference in price. The main drawback my be that there is little choice of masks which the prescription lenses fit.

Thanks.

Thought about buying a set on Samui, but as you says the choice of masks may be a bit limited.

Found a mask here that i really like, which is about the equivalent of 5,000 bath for mask and lenses fitted.

Maybe i should just go ahead and buy it here.

Can always use it on another vacation to Samui.

May i ask if you snorkled with a mask without prescription lens before and how much the experience was improved after trying it with prescription mask so you could see like normal under water.

I used to dive and snorkel with a non prescription mask and found it an amazing change with the prescription lenses. My sight is similar to yours (-4.0 in one eye and -4.5 in the other) and I could see a lot of detail with the lenses that I had largely missed before.

Sounds like you should buy it there. Probably more variety available and as you say you will be able to use it other places anyway. When you buy the mask get them to give you the plain lenses they replace in case you want to sell it or give it to someone in the future who does not need the prescription lenses.

I used to dive and snorkel with a non prescription mask and found it an amazing change with the prescription lenses. My sight is similar to yours (-4.0 in one eye and -4.5 in the other) and I could see a lot of detail with the lenses that I had largely missed before.

Sounds like you should buy it there. Probably more variety available and as you say you will be able to use it other places anyway. When you buy the mask get them to give you the plain lenses they replace in case you want to sell it or give it to someone in the future who does not need the prescription lenses.

Bought a pair yesterday and also got the spare plain lenses with me, just for the same purpose you suggest.

So now maybe i can see what i'm videofilming under water instead of having to wait and see on the PC what i shot ;)