Is escalating violence against protesters a tactical move by Thai govt?

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Is escalating violence against protesters a tactical move by govt?'

Probably not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

As to their more fascistic street army, the red guard, well they are quite capable of thinking violence and cowardly attacks are the only way to solve a situation like this. In fact for many it is the only solution.

• Like 2

The Violence was stated by the PDRC, they are the only one that can gain from it!

Cheers

Nonsense and you know it.

100% agree.

It was figured that the police etc. should do nothing because when the red's come into town they try and burn the place down so that must be the norm. But the protesters didn't try to burn BKK down and just held rallies followed by lives bands of an evening with lots of good food available. Ouch, the government said! OK, let's install a state of emergency because that must surely get the matches out but it didn't. Ouch again!

The Violence was stated by the PDRC, they are the only one that can gain from it!

Cheers

Nonsense and you know it.

NO, no nonsense , it is 100% PDRC who started, and the first aim was still ok , to overtrow the government and after that Suthep should have stepped down as he promised.

Elections should take place peaceful and the yellows should have tried to get the majority in a democratic way.

Then you could say they did not start, but the situation as is it now, facing a civil war is on Suthep his head.

• Like 1

The rice pledging scam and the tragic deaths directly caused by it, are enough to hang PTP from the highest yardarm in the port.

If the true facts and figures of this scam somehow escaped the shredder, and come to light, Yingluck and others would be looking at jailtime under a serious legal system. This is my opinion, not statement of fact.

Then there's the other half-dozen charges I personally would expect to see PTP face, but they are now relatively minor really, the rice scam is the centrepiece of their downfall.

Agree with other posters that war-drums etc. is the desperation of a cornered animal. Trapped creatures always become suddenly ferocious.

Tragic Deaths directly caused by the Rice Pledging Policy

Which deaths were these then, Yunla? I presume you can't mean the suicides of rice farmers, tragic as they are, as being a result of the Rice Subsidy scheme?

The Mental Health Department sent a team to investigate the causes of the suicides of 13 rice farmers during the past few weeks.

Department deputy director-general Dr Panpimol Wipulakorn said the investigation found that nine of them had committed suicide because they owed a large number of informal debts. Three committed suicide as they had been suffering from congenital diseases. The remaining farmer's suicide could not be linked to the rice-pledging scheme.

"We found that the main risk factors for committing suicide were mental-health problems, physical ailments and family problems. Economic problems caused by large informal debts was also a main factor leading them to commit suicide," Panpimol said.

The rice farmers who committed suicide were aged between 40 and 60. Most had complained of feeling depressed and frustrated. Some had harmed themselves or tried to commit suicide on previous occasions.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/webmobile/national/Rice-scheme-woes-not-major-factor-in-suicides-agen-30227201.html
  • Like 1

The rice pledging scam and the tragic deaths directly caused by it, are enough to hang PTP from the highest yardarm in the port.

If the true facts and figures of this scam somehow escaped the shredder, and come to light, Yingluck and others would be looking at jailtime under a serious legal system. This is my opinion, not statement of fact.

Then there's the other half-dozen charges I personally would expect to see PTP face, but they are now relatively minor really, the rice scam is the centrepiece of their downfall.

Agree with other posters that war-drums etc. is the desperation of a cornered animal. Trapped creatures always become suddenly ferocious.

Which deaths were these then, Yunla? I presume you can't mean the suicides of rice farmers, tragic as they are, as being a result of the Rice Subsidy scheme?

The Mental Health Department sent a team to investigate the causes of the suicides of 13 rice farmers during the past few weeks.

Department deputy director-general Dr Panpimol Wipulakorn said the investigation found that nine of them had committed suicide because they owed a large number of informal debts. Three committed suicide as they had been suffering from congenital diseases. The remaining farmer's suicide could not be linked to the rice-pledging scheme.

"We found that the main risk factors for committing suicide were mental-health problems, physical ailments and family problems. Economic problems caused by large informal debts was also a main factor leading them to commit suicide," Panpimol said.

The rice farmers who committed suicide were aged between 40 and 60. Most had complained of feeling depressed and frustrated. Some had harmed themselves or tried to commit suicide on previous occasions.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/webmobile/national/Rice-scheme-woes-not-major-factor-in-suicides-agen-30227201.html

Unfortunately suicide is a daily occurance, with a whole myriad of factors that might be involved in the persons head.

To use it for political gain in any instance, is disgusting.

• Like 2

Escalating Violence is the onething that might bring on a Military Coup something the PC, Dems, Yellows and their media division The Nation Newspaper desperatly want.

As Always with The Nation you have to read between the lines.

Sorry Nation, you have earned the distrust of everything you print biggrin.png

• Like 2

Escalating violence can only do damage to the caretaker government, what good does it do them?

With their mindset they think that they can intimidate the opposition. The redshirts have always been renowned for violence, thuggery, and hopefully it will get them nowhere, and also illustrate to the intelligent public what they really are like.

• Like 1

Escalating violence can only do damage to the caretaker government, what good does it do them?

With their mindset they think that they can intimidate the opposition. The redshirts have always been renowned for violence, thuggery, and hopefully it will get them nowhere, and also illustrate to the intelligent public what they really are like.

No, I don't buy that.

If the red shirts were out to indimidate the opposition, they would be in BKK in droves!

• Like 2

Revenge, for loss-of-face, recent or in-the-past ?

Intimidation of the 'enemy', as part of 'hanging on till the last gasp' ?

Or perhaps not on the direct-orders of the caretaker-government, certainly not on Yingluck's own orders, but from their guiding-hand ?

Who will ever know, except Chalerm as usual, and he'll refuse (as always) to name names ! wink.png

desperate acts of despots are not uncommon, looks like the military and courts have outmanoeuvred the shins repeatedly.

As painful as it might be for a few hours as the Shins last throw of the dice, it will achieve nothing but confirm the negative legacy they have left them.

Bkk bound?

Please stay in your current location.

Our quota of stupid is already full

perhaps you'd be willing to give up your place in the quota?

• Like 1

Thanks for the block-quote from the Institute, which I too have already seen.

I would say to you that this statement by that agency is speculative and also delivered against a background of statements by other agencies such as tourism, transport etc. which famously downplays the reality of those situations.

I think we can lay out a basic situational analysis of cause and effect. Regardless of your underlying mental/physical problems, to compound them with having your crops taken and not paid for, leaving you in absolute poverty and being threatened by loan sharks who you could have repaid if your produce had been paid for, it doesn't take a maths wizard to add up those sums.

I think it is very sad that people try to downplay the impact on poor farmers' lives that nonpayment for produce, loan-borrowing and absolute poverty has had, and the denial of the causal relationship to their tragic suicides is at best far-fetched, and at worst a cheap attempt at redirecting the blame onto the victims.

This has been done to death in the original thread that I quoted.

Will you at least agree that your assertion that the reported suicides of rice farmers in recent times are directly linked to the Rice Subsidy scheme is just, if not more so, as speculative as the report, that you state is speculative.

Bearing in mind that neither you, nor I, have seen the report, nor are we experts in mental health, I am leaning towards the Doctors experience of previous suicides amongst rice farmers statistical reports and their recent investigations and the correlation between the two.

Edited by fab4