True Internet Billion Router

Bmouthboyo

Hi Guys,

I am in hte process of planning my HomeServer setup and I need to ensure I have gigabit cabling from my server - router - HTPC.

The issues is I cannot for the life of me find out exactly what model router True have given me. There is no indication of the model number on it anywhere. I want to A) Check firmare is upto date, B) check if it supports Gigabit Ethernet and C) see if it is worth upgrading to another router and if so what ones are compatble with True?

2013020315.16.42.jpg

any help much appreciated cheers

Failing that would it be more sensible and cheaper to buy a Gigabit Switch that is connected to my current router? Or is it pretty much the same cost wise?

I agree. You can buy a gigabit switch for under THB1000 nowadays. Example: http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wired-networking/d-link/8-port-gigabit-switch-dgs-1008a-p010673/

Gigabit LAN ports are becoming more common on routers but still tend to be only on the more expensive ones. I very much doubt that an ISP supplied router would support gigabit.

Does anyone know if this might work straight off with True? http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/tp-link/ultimate-wireless-n-gigabit-router-tl-wr1043nd-p013886/

My only other thinking for a new router is if I can find one that is Gigabit, works with True easily and if it allows me to change the DNS servers so I can make connected devices think they are in the UK etc for Netflicks, iPlayer etc.

Is there such a magical device in the Land of S*** TV?

Edited by Bmouthboyo

Does anyone know if this might work straight off with True? http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/tp-link/ultimate-wireless-n-gigabit-router-tl-wr1043nd-p013886/

My only other thinking for a new router is if I can find one that is Gigabit, works with True easily and if it allows me to change the DNS servers so I can make connected devices think they are in the UK etc for Netflicks, iPlayer etc.

Is there such a magical device in the Land of S*** TV?

Yes you could use that router but not by itself as it doesn't have a built in ADSL modem. You could put the TRUE supplied Billion modem into bridge mode and then have that TP Link act as the router.

I'm no expert on IPTV but I don't think that simply changing the DNS servers will get around geo-blocking. I think you need a VPN or some kind of proxy setting. There are plenty of threads here on that subject.

Six months ago, my TRUE ADSL wireless connection (Bangkok) went dead and the TRUE technician replaced my 4 year old Zyxel wireless router (purchased by me.) with a TRUE supplied BILLION wireless ADSL router that looked very similar to the one pictured by the OP. It also, like the one pictured, had no manufacturers label with a model or serial number, just a TRUE sticker.

It worked properly for less than a month, then began regularly dropping the Wi-Fi connection.

Another call to TRUE, another 5 day wait and another wireless ADSL router; this time, a ZYXEL which is a huge improvement over the BILLION but still problematic.

I am not 100% sure if the Wi-Fi dropouts I still occasionally experience are the fault of the router or the ADSL phone line but I will soon buy my own router and see if it makes a difference.

Further complicating the issue is the phone line is TOT while my ADSL is TRUE so one unfailingly blames the other.

Edited by dddave

Six months ago, my TRUE ADSL wireless connection (Bangkok) went dead and the TRUE technician replaced my 4 year old Zyxel wireless router (purchased by me.) with a TRUE supplied BILLION wireless ADSL router that looked very similar to the one pictured by the OP. It also, like the one pictured, had no manufacturers label with a model or serial number, just a TRUE sticker.

It worked properly for less than a month, then began regularly dropping the Wi-Fi connection.

Another call to TRUE, another 5 day wait and another wireless ADSL router; this time, a ZYXEL which is a huge improvement over the BILLION but still problematic.

I am not 100% sure if the Wi-Fi dropouts I still occasionally experience are the fault of the router or the ADSL phone line but I will soon buy my own router and see if it makes a difference.

Further complicating the issue is the phone line is TOT while my ADSL is TRUE so one unfailingly blames the other.

It's "True"! Found that, anywhere in Thailand, though very marketed, its the worst for Internet including customer service. Also if you mostly use wireless, wouldn't waste the money on a G-bit, wireless is in the MBs. 10/100 would be fine. Though running cable & transferring between multiple workstations G-bit would work but still easy to just have a transfer (USB3) disc as a go between. Even with G-bit, Cat5 cables are very limited. If want real high end for say something as a small render farm or real time server or remote RAID drive, go fibre.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• 7 months later...

True supplied me with that billion router and there was some kind of firewall in it that stopped me from downloading streaming videos on xbmc and another streaming service I was using. I swapped out the router with an old d-link 2750 router I had and everything worked perfectly.