Agoda discriminating non-Thai speakers!

chr1st1an

Maybe knowing that Thais in general earn less that westerners, Agoda is trying to give something back to the community?

Bottom line if you don't speak the local language you are fair game.

Dear OP, Please write to your mother and tell her the world is not fair!whistling.gif

Actually, the Op did not write to his mother.

That would probably have been rather pointless.

In stead, the Op wrote to Thaivisaforum, a rare collection of intelligent, well travelled posters, so that we could make up our own minds, based on facts.

Ah! The advantages of the combination of the free market and the internet.

A good move Op! Thanks for the information.

I guess you and OP never heard of defamation laws in Thailandw00t.gif

Agoda is bound by Singapore law, which it had Failed here in the discrimination here .

I also think their American owners, a public company on the NASDAQ would be embarrassed as well.

Regarding reviews, even if you don't book on them, I have found their reviews the best available as a general comment. Never look at trip advisor who are full of fake reviews by anyone, both good and bad. The only reviews on Agoda are form people who have stayed their. After you check out, you get a email with a very easy review questionnaire.

The one time I have had an issue with a Agoda booking, the Thai hotel was trying to F me over, I rang Agoda and the problem was fixed in less than 1 min with the hotel sucking up big time, I was almost shocked how good the customer service was to be honest.

My only bitch is, the standard is 2 adults & no extra bed, if you have a 13 yo child with you that doesn't want to sleep alone it is frustrating you cant confirm an extra bed for a price. In reality I have never had a problem on arrival for a small cash fee in Thailand. I hate the extra 17% they add on for taxes, I would prefer it in the price.

Agoda was a Thai company bought out by Priceline, has absolutely nothing to do with Singapore

Again, Agoda does not set the prices, hotels do

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omg there is just no respect on this forum. also the reason why I am usually not wasting my time on forums (and the reason why I only have a few posts on my count). you guys seem to know me better than I know myself, which is enlightening.

I shared my finding in an expat forum, as it's expats that get screwed. you don't even have to comment it, just take it as an FYI and move on.

So you only come on the forum to whine about $2-$3?

Expats do not book hotelsblink.png , expats have units or housesw00t.gif

Expats that are normal and have a life, leaver their homes, let their gardener and maid look after it and travel.

Define normal?

The ones on pension?

Or the ones who work?

Here's a real protip and definitely not sponsored, at HotelsCombined.com you can search and compare across all the other hotel booking sites and then just choose the one that is the cheapest, which is often less known such as otel.com or onhotels or others.

I have begun to really dislike Agoda due to their withholding of tax and fees. It is a low ball marketing scheme that unfortunately is typically Thai. They also haven't accepted my reviews because doing so would give me the last couple of points I need for a free $25, again just very low way of running a business. If you think I am making the missing points for reviews up, try giving it a Google.

• Like 1

omg there is just no respect on this forum. also the reason why I am usually not wasting my time on forums (and the reason why I only have a few posts on my count). you guys seem to know me better than I know myself, which is enlightening.

I shared my finding in an expat forum, as it's expats that get screwed. you don't even have to comment it, just take it as an FYI and move on.

So you only come on the forum to whine about $2-$3?

Expats do not book hotelsblink.png , expats have units or housesw00t.gif

Expats that are normal and have a life, leaver their homes, let their gardener and maid look after it and travel.

Define normal?

The ones on pension?

Or the ones who work?

Some of the ones on pension.

Some of the ones who work.

And even some that post here. (no, I'm not pointing a finger at you)

Here's a real protip and definitely not sponsored, at HotelsCombined.com you can search and compare across all the other hotel booking sites and then just choose the one that is the cheapest, which is often less known such as otel.com or onhotels or others.

I have begun to really dislike Agoda due to their withholding of tax and fees. It is a low ball marketing scheme that unfortunately is typically Thai. They also haven't accepted my reviews because doing so would give me the last couple of points I need for a free $25, again just very low way of running a business. If you think I am making the missing points for reviews up, try giving it a Google.

Typical Thai???

Normal practice worldwide, across all industry's including many restaurants

PS. Otel and less known ones are "agents" from the big ones and most certainly do not get cheaper rates.

As a matter of fact, all have same prices, because all require hotels to sign price guarantee agreements.

The only time you get a cheaper deal on the same room, is when something is not the same, ie breakfast not included or something like that, which you do not read and usually then write a review how you were scammed(by you, i do not mean you personally)

Edited by whoisyourdaddy

cheesy.gif

The ones who work, do not travel and those who do, do so on company's card where they could not care less of the pricing, most certainly not the $2-$3

The ones on pension, can not afford to buy a packet of chips, let alone have a maid and a gardener.

But will let you to keep on fantasizingthumbsup.gif

cheesy.gif

The ones who work, do not travel and those who do, do so on company's card where they could not care less of the pricing, most certainly not the $2-$3

The ones on pension, can not afford to buy a packet of chips, let alone have a maid and a gardener.

I am on a pension and spend 8 months a year in Thailand, mostly in our house, but also travelling around.

The other 4 months we spend in Europe, sometimes at home, but mostly travelling.

Almost all my bookings are made through bookingcom, except the KPGrand wich has only Agoda.

What is your excuse for continuing to post on this tread?

My excuse is: I am killing time before we fly to Madeira tomorrow for a stay of 5 weeks, all booked through.... you guessed it!

And yes you explained that bookingcom and agoda are property of the same company, so what, I like the no-nonsense style of bookingcom better, must be different managers then.

And by the way, in a previous post you mixed up "emotion" and "emoticon" - a freudian slip of your tongue perhaps?

• Like 1

cheesy.gif

I am on a pension and spend 8 months a year in Thailand, mostly in our house, but also travelling around.

The other 4 months we spend in Europe, sometimes at home, but mostly travelling.

Almost all my bookings are made through bookingcom, except the KPGrand wich has only Agoda.

What is your excuse for continuing to post on this tread?

My excuse is: I am killing time before we fly to Madeira tomorrow for a stay of 5 weeks, all booked through.... you guessed it!

And yes you explained that bookingcom and agoda are property of the same company, so what, I like the no-nonsense style of bookingcom better, must be different managers then.

And by the way, in a previous post you mixed up "emotion" and "emoticon" - a freudian slip of your tongue perhaps?

You need an excuse? i certainly do notblink.png

What a lot of hot air and irrelevant woffle! If Company A is trying to sell you something at a higher price than Company B, C, D or X, then you only have yourself to blame if you accept the deal. Yes, Agoda is a bit sneaky in that they don't reveal the final price to be paid until you are on the final run in - but you can still cancel before you accept it. Equally, their 'lowest price' gurantee is probably valid - until you add on the 10% and 7%. The anwer is simple; if you don't like them, go elsewhere.

What you say is of course correct, it is the free market system.

If a seller is too expensive, inefficient, greedy, bad mannered, you buy from a different seller, that will sort him out...

However, there is another equally important aspect of free markets: information.

No information = no free market, but rather Wild West market!

Especially Big Busines does not like that part of the free market filosofy!

Therefore, a tread like this one is very usefull.

And, unrelated to the above, I have never understood why some posters seem to enjoy being rude.

The best example of Wild West is a thread like this, with the starting OP nothing at all true in it, but still believed by quite a few members judging by their answers anyway.

• Like 1

Knowing Thailand you would never book in advance, you just go where you like to go and find a nice place to stay. Thais do it, why you don't?

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

Obviously you do not know, but it will cost you more to book and pay at the hotel rather than through Agoda. I have been using Agoda for several years now and find them very good indeed also very helpful so will continue using them all over Asia to do my 90 day visa runs. wai.gifthumbsup.gif

Maybe knowing that Thais in general earn less that westerners, Agoda is trying to give something back to the community?

Bottom line if you don't speak the local language you are fair game.

Dear OP, Please write to your mother and tell her the world is not fair!whistling.gif

Hi Vocal, you need to know that everyone has an opinion and are entitled to it as is Chr1st1an, and even though i might not agree with him, i do not think it is very nice to castigate or 'take the p**s out of him as you do. So how about going back into your box and stop behaving like a smartass.

If there's any price differential it will have nothing to do with Agoda as has been rightly said before, the hotels themselves set the prices, terms and conditions, not Agoda.

Agoda often offer promotions to its hotel clients and it's up to them if they want to participate or not.

It is not discrimination by Agoda, if anything it is discrimination by the hotels which offer a different price for the Thai website.

Agoda themselves have no reason to offer discounts for country specific websites as they would only be reducing their actual commission.

However, it may be worth someone mentioning this as it does not look good for them and they should be aware.

I use Agoda both as a hotel client and as a booker and do recommend them. I have found their customer service superior to its rivals, even though I don't particularly like the rate they show which is exclusive of taxes and service.

And a note to everyone that doesn't know: ignore the struck-out rack rate on all hotel sites. It is often just made up!

Its seems sometime its steered by the network( pc location) and also language chosen. Checked a few hotel's in Hua Hin a couple hours ago and one particular through trip advisor,which check the prices on 3-4 different booking sites. The best price was on agoda when the language was Thai, then I switched to my native language and the price went up with 400 Thb. Yes I can afford the extra 400 Thb but so can a Thai who can afford the same hotel.

Baaaaaaaa! You are Farang so Thais do not see it that way. Something we all learn in our first years here.

When we were furnishing our new house, i went around with a list getting "best" prices. My Thai then partner took the same list to the same places and saved me Bht 18,000, plus a bigger fridge !

• Like 1

I would book in TH (and I would have booked in TH in the past, too), but I didn't know! Agoda is just trying to make more money off foreigners. Farang prices, doesn't even stop with large companies like Agoda bah.gif

Agoda does not do anything. Hotels set prices and have full control of pricing and availability.

Agoda has it's "best price guarantee" (joke in itself already) - how can they guarantee me to get the best deal when at the same time they sell the same room cheaper in a different language?!

AGAIN for the second time, Agoda does not set anything, Hotels have full control over pricing

So are you saying the 2 examples given the hotel have specified Thai language site 100 baht cheaper. Seems strange hotels would specify that and Agoda would set up a system to accommodate that.

• Like 1

I would book in TH (and I would have booked in TH in the past, too), but I didn't know! Agoda is just trying to make more money off foreigners. Farang prices, doesn't even stop with large companies like Agoda bah.gif

Agoda does not do anything. Hotels set prices and have full control of pricing and availability.

Agoda has it's "best price guarantee" (joke in itself already) - how can they guarantee me to get the best deal when at the same time they sell the same room cheaper in a different language?!

AGAIN for the second time, Agoda does not set anything, Hotels have full control over pricing

Edit double post system error was not error.

Edited by marstons

cheesy.gif

Eee knows it all ya know ! thumbsup.gif

So are you saying the 2 examples given the hotel have specified Thai language site 100 baht cheaper. Seems strange hotels would specify that and Agoda would set up a system to accommodate that.

Yes, hotels set prices and target markets. With Agoda , hotels can chose to block out regions as well as set different prices or promotions.

Nothing strange at all. Some want to attract locals, some do not want to have middle eastern and set their prices and promotions accordingly

Edited by whoisyourdaddy
  • Like 2

Knowing Thailand you would never book in advance, you just go where you like to go and find a nice place to stay. Thais do it, why you don't?

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

This is how I always used to travel back in the day. Now though .. no, no, no .. everyone and their dog is doing this online booking stuff and especially out of low season you can turn up at places you know and like around Thailand and they're full, it's annoying

Yes, hotels set prices and target markets. With Agoda , hotels can chose to block out regions as well as set different prices or promotions.

Nothing strange at all. Some want to attract locals, some do not want to have middle eastern and set their prices and promotions accordingly

You must be working for Agoda, in fact, they have an employee called your name!

What a lot of hot air and irrelevant woffle! If Company A is trying to sell you something at a higher price than Company B, C, D or X, then you only have yourself to blame if you accept the deal. Yes, Agoda is a bit sneaky in that they don't reveal the final price to be paid until you are on the final run in - but you can still cancel before you accept it. Equally, their 'lowest price' gurantee is probably valid - until you add on the 10% and 7%. The anwer is simple; if you don't like them, go elsewhere.

If a seller is too expensive, inefficient, greedy, bad mannered, you buy from a different seller, that will sort him out...

However, there is another equally important aspect of free markets: information.

And, unrelated to the above, I have never understood why some posters seem to enjoy being rude.

The best example of Wild West is a thread like this, with the starting OP nothing at all true in it, but still believed by quite a few members judging by their answers anyway.

So this is how you get to your post count? Just calling others liars without even looking into it? Get a job, bro

So this is how you get to your post count? Just calling others liars without even looking into it? Get a job, bro

By telling people it the way it is for many years, bro.

• Like 1

Why must he be working for Agoda simply because what he says is true?

Why must he be working for Agoda simply because what he says is true?

It was a silly comment referring to an earlier comment by the guy claiming I would be working for HotelQuickly just because I was advocating their superiority. No deeper meaning

Or i have little more than a peanut for brain

Ah! At long last we are making progress!

So you now admit that the horse is dead.

Precisely the reason why some hotels would offer cheaper rates for certain regions.

People like your good self and OP will whine and complain endlessly over 100 baht, hotel simply cannot be bothered to deal with whining cheap charlie farangs and prefer to make little less from local people.

OP was going to book $40, for <deleted> sake, hardly high end or even middle, but more of a 2 star budget and one of the cheaper rooms.Yet you and OP keep carrying on like some VIP quality.

Time to come to terms with where you stand, and again if not happy with double pricing, go book at HIlton where prices are the same or stop whining over few bucks

• Like 1

It was a silly comment referring to an earlier comment by the guy claiming I would be working for HotelQuickly just because I was advocating their superiority. No deeper meaning

Is that the reason why yet again you mention full name of a start up company with hardly any suppliers?

Or i have little more than a peanut for brain

This was the first funny joke of yours! Congrats!