What should I buy while in the USA

Mike45

Duct tape ? Isn't this the same stuff you can buy at HomePro and B2S, many different colours... 3M make ?

No, GavinK, it's not. You are referring to "cloth tape."

"Duct tape" is the superglue of tape, used for such things as applying temporary fixes to leaky AC pipes & ducts, holding things together, permanently securing certain insulation materials, tying a burglar's hands behind his back while you await the police, etc.

While most Americans probably have a roll of duct tape in their tool box, it is rarely used by the average Thai person. You'll mainly see it in places such as a sam-law factory, an AC business warehouse, your local electric company where Thai workers sometimes use duct tape to bundle cables together, etc.

• Like 2

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duct tape ? Isn't this the same stuff you can buy at HomePro and B2S, many different colours... 3M make ?

No, GavinK, it's not. You are referring to "cloth tape."

"Duct tape" is the superglue of tape, used for such things as applying temporary fixes to leaky AC pipes & ducts, holding things together, permanently securing certain insulation materials, tying a burglar's hands behind his back while you await the police, etc.

While most Americans probably have a roll of duct tape in their tool box, it is rarely used by the average Thai person. You'll mainly see it in places such as a sam-law factory, an AC business warehouse, your local electric company where Thai workers sometimes use duct tape to bundle cables together, etc.

I think every American adult has this (duct tape) laying around somewhere. To add would be Nylon Wire Ties, very useful & about a buck or so.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Furbys

At ToysR us in Thailand cost 3200-3400 baht or more....

Walmart, Target stores in USA...50 dollars each

Brought 4 back on my last return.

Annoying little buggers but the kids luv em clap2.gif

Talk of the soi they are

post-17168-0-18241000-1393838582_thumb.j

I Should have brought back a suitcase full easily could unload for 3000bht a piece to the locals around here

thats 1,300bht profit per Furby...hmmmmm

Edited by glassdude007
  • Like 1

A Barbeque, like a Weber Q200.......

In Thailand 29,600 Baht

In the USA around $200 or 6400 Baht

Even if they tax you 100% inport fees you are money ahead......

Great topic..

Good point for sure...

Why are just normal gas back yard BBQ's sooo expensive in Thailand. ???? PANG MAAAK

I mailed from USA to Thailand a small portable table top gas BBQ grill used for camping and or tailgating

cost Less than 50 Dollars at Walmart, tucked away in a box full of personel effects no duty paid

post-17168-0-60467200-1393839872_thumb.j

It runs on a bottle like this or a coleman gas bottle but have not found theses bottles at Homepro or Big C yet here in Phuke, they do have Butane refills for camping stoves but not same same...

post-17168-0-02063700-1393840579_thumb.j

We Use this grill all the time great for beach partys,and back yard get togethers even bring it down the Pub at happy hours sometimes load it with Chicken wings...yum...

I had to modify convert the gas connection to small green LLP gas bottle for thailand use. last long time as well.. Easy to hook up..

very handy unit but never see for sale in Thailand....

Edited by glassdude007

If you need a working regular telephone with an American phone number by your desktop computer at home....buy a Magic Jack phone-computer adapter in Radio Shack for about $40 including the $20 annual unlimited service. That can be your local American phone number, and may be very useful sometimes....

It is for me.

Edited by thailampang2012
  • Like 1

most of the items mentioned above I have seen in LoS

one thing which I need and which I just cannot find is self tapping screws for wood in 316 steel,

marine grade steel,

some shops told me that such screws are not in the Thai market

Just saying but still on topic. The things I plan to get when I go back in the next month or so.

PS4 & games

A nice coffee machine

A good quality Juicier

A quality electric razor

A BTO Powerhouse of a Laptop

A 20lb rubber weight ball

Some additional size 14 Nikes

Clothes fit to my height

Selective luxuries which can't get here & if found within a 2 hour flight plan outside of Thailand, way overpriced - supplements, candy, sunglasses, perfume for the wife...etc. Mmmmm....Sees Candy

and if can be made for Transport, USDA Omaha Steaks

Their website says no. "Due to import/export restrictions, we are unable to ship our products outside the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands."

Their website says no. "Due to import/export restrictions, we are unable to ship our products outside the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands."

"If" being the most important. Getting them to package it for a 24 hour plus journey but having it expedited & then taken in my luggage. Also if of which happens, a Thai customs agent finds out...well 1000 bht later & no issue.

Sorry, initially thought but not said but meant, would be shipped to the US address, then stashed & stored for long transport in baggage. My only problem with be with US Customs.

Have you ordered Omaha Steaks before? They ship with dry ice in a big foam container. It lasts for a few days, but the container is very large. Maybe 2 cubic foot and the foam is nearly 2 inches thick.

Do a Google image search for Omaha Steaks packaging or packages and you will see them.

Have you ordered Omaha Steaks before? They ship with dry ice in a big foam container. It lasts for a few days, but the container is very large. Maybe 2 cubic foot and the foam is nearly 2 inches thick.

Do a Google image search for Omaha Steaks packaging or packages and you will see them.

I'm conscious & yes. When I go back, I'm only taking an oversized empty duffle on wheels along with my carry on with the essentials. I'm also very good at space management.

Will take a closer look at timelines when I go back but want to bring back as many goodies as I can carry - 50 kg checked.

Most usefull item from the US in hardware that I've never seen anywhere in Thailand are the hollow wall anchors known as butterfly bolts. (spring loaded self opening anchors). Always bring a bunch whenever I'm stateside. Another (just to blow Thai's minds and tongues) Habanero Pepper seeds which you can find at home depots plant dept.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yrs I look forward to my uk trip back just to stock up on grundies.!

On my list this time is

A nail centre punch

A bag of zinc galv staple nails

A 4 egg poaching pan.

A simple wood mitre block

A good quality caulking gun.

A stock of packet sauce mixes for pasta etc....maybe some powdered gravy.

Sometimes you appreciate home don't you?

one thing which I need and which I just cannot find is self tapping screws for wood in 316 steel,

marine grade steel,

Agree, pretty much everything mentioned is available, if you spend a lot of time searching diy stores or craft stores for something you will find the equivalent.

As an example someone mentioned blu tak. No its not here but only last week in a very big book store Pritt make exactly the same thing in a sheet or small one inch pads.

Its more likely that foodstuffs not available than practical things.

marine grade steel,

Agree, pretty much everything mentioned is available, if you spend a lot of time searching diy stores or craft stores for something you will find the equivalent.

As an example someone mentioned blu tak. No its not here but only last week in a very big book store Pritt make exactly the same thing in a sheet or small one inch pads.

Its more likely that foodstuffs not available than practical things.

funny that you should mention blue tak, have been looking for that myself,

7/11s sports something similar, found it after looking around for at least 6 months

it was actually a lady in a bar that tipped me that 7/11 sports something similar

sometimes it pays off to chat a bit with ladies in Sukhumvit bars

My wife bought a Nexus in Texas. With a Thai plug.

i bought a fork in New York, (and a spare in Delaware), a hair cut in Connecticut, a guitar in Utah, a banana in Nevada, a coat hanger in Montana, played poker in Dakota (North and South), oh the list goes on

Sheila, dont forget tequila from yr Tia Juana in Tiajuana.

Most usefull item from the US in hardware that I've never seen anywhere in Thailand are the hollow wall anchors known as butterfly bolts. (spring loaded self opening anchors). Always bring a bunch whenever I'm stateside. Another (just to blow Thai's minds and tongues) Habanero Pepper seeds which you can find at home depots plant dept.

I like the seeds idea. And, proper tortillas... truly pine for these in LoS. NONE of the restaurants or especially the grocery stores have anything I'd put on my plate.

main thing for me is proper machine tools. the ones in LoS are generally made of pig metal, except for one store called Tool Pro (pretty sure) on the edge of Udonthani.