New Burger Cart coming to Chiang Mai in 2014! Burgers. What's your preference?

I was just talking to a fellow and his Thai wife at a pub in the old city the other night, and they showed me some plans for what looks to be a well thought out and uniquely designed food cart to be added to the streets of Chiang Mai. They were there doing "market research" and tasting the local burgers. Rumor has it that there will be an American style burger cart opening up sometime in the next year here in CM; and it will be open late! I love myself a dripping, cheese filled, chunk of beef when I get on the piss! Helps avoid the hangover.

What are some things we longtime residents of CM would like to see from this new establishment, as we have been stuck with some rather poor excuses for burgers for quite sometime now. I must admit, I am happy to hear that there is an American involved. They are the ones that truly know what a burger should be.

Please only discuss things relevant to Foodie topics. I don't care if there are other food carts serving what some call burgers. I want to talk about real beef burgers! I don't care if you prefer BK. Then I just think your're foolish. I want to talk about real food and what we would like to see from this new establishment.

Edited by Solditallandmovedhere

Well as long as you're doing market research for your new venture, I like a tuna patty with chopped ginger and a slice of turnip.

Has the Turkish lad selling kebabs from his foodcart been arrested and locked up again for doing so without a Work Permit, or is he still out all night so he can make his 1000b a day?

Well as long as you're doing market research for your new venture, I like a tuna patty with chopped ginger and a slice of turnip.

Has the Turkish lad selling kebabs from his foodcart been arrested and locked up again for doing so without a Work Permit, or is he still out all night so he can make his 1000b a day?

Oh yeah! Tuna, ginger, turnip! Yes please. As for the Kebab guy(s). Who knows? It will be nice to have a better option though. I wish I would have asked them what time is "late". They said they would be open late. I hope late enough to get one before my long drive back home one the weekend.

A real Aussie burger needs beetroot....just a suggestion for you.

I had a burger and fries at that joint on Nimmenhaimen 2 years ago, and it tasted so good after not having a burger for 2 years. That afternoon the rumblings started and I was crook as Rookwood for the next 3 days-I have never had a burger since.

Before I left Oz in 2005 I used to love the Ogallo's Portugese chicken burger with ginger and chilli sauce-SUPERB!

A real Aussie burger needs beetroot....just a suggestion for you.

I had a burger and fries at that joint on Nimmenhaimen 2 years ago, and it tasted so good after not having a burger for 2 years. That afternoon the rumblings started and I was crook as Rookwood for the next 3 days-I have never had a burger since.

Before I left Oz in 2005 I used to love the Ogallo's Portugese chicken burger with ginger and chilli sauce-SUPERB!

I personally am not the owner. However, I do agree that they should have something for the Aussie's. I have never had beetroot on a burger, I have heard about it however.Sounds good. If they have beetroot I will certainly try it! I hope they will serve egg as a choice as well. You can follow them the same as me on their facebook page: www.facebook.com/lingbaburgers

Well if they are quality beef....real cheese....onion....and good buns i would happily buy one regardless of price.

But that is just me.....one voice in a sea of 45 baht beers.....!

You don't ask for much do you Smokie!

Most burgers with cheese use processed cheese and though there are many different flavours, they are all pretty much the same. Non processed cheese doesn't melt evenly but rather congeals into protein gel and liquid fat making is somewhat unsuitable for a burger.

The onions here are more like Spanish onions in that they are very mild and good for salads. Not great for a burger in my mind but not too bad.

Buns should not be an issue if you know a local baker who is willing to make them in relatively small batches. Bread doesn't freeze well but the faster it goes into a frozen state the better will be the product after freezing. Put half a loaf or a couple of rolls in your freezer at home and they freeze pretty quick because of being surrounded by lots of other frozen stuff. Put say 200 rolls into a small freezer and it takes to long so you need to blast freeze them first.

Good beef is the real issue because it is very costly. I've been told that much of the imported beef comes from Australia along with some from NZ but is usually pre butchered into wholesale joints for steaks which means the usual cuts used for burger mince are simply not available. Another problem is if you used prime cuts then you would be well short of the fat to meat ration of 80:20 or sometimes 85:15. You would have to introduce fat from pork I suppose?

Better to use 100% (80:20) buffalo meat. It's tough as old boots but has a good taste so mincing it would have a good chance of working, pretty cheap and locally sourced.

Will that include synthetic cheese?

I'll presume this comment wad directed at my post.

I have no idea. I've eaten vegan cheese a few times which I was told is synthetic cheese and it would likely have melted in the same way processed cheese does. Not sure it is manufactured in Thailand and would matter to me anyway because it is horrid stuff.

Well if they are quality beef....real cheese....onion....and good buns i would happily buy one regardless of price.

But that is just me.....one voice in a sea of 45 baht beers.....!

You don't ask for much do you Smokie!

Most burgers with cheese use processed cheese and though there are many different flavours, they are all pretty much the same. Non processed cheese doesn't melt evenly but rather congeals into protein gel and liquid fat making is somewhat unsuitable for a burger.

The onions here are more like Spanish onions in that they are very mild and good for salads. Not great for a burger in my mind but not too bad.

Buns should not be an issue if you know a local baker who is willing to make them in relatively small batches. Bread doesn't freeze well but the faster it goes into a frozen state the better will be the product after freezing. Put half a loaf or a couple of rolls in your freezer at home and they freeze pretty quick because of being surrounded by lots of other frozen stuff. Put say 200 rolls into a small freezer and it takes to long so you need to blast freeze them first.

Good beef is the real issue because it is very costly. I've been told that much of the imported beef comes from Australia along with some from NZ but is usually pre butchered into wholesale joints for steaks which means the usual cuts used for burger mince are simply not available. Another problem is if you used prime cuts then you would be well short of the fat to meat ration of 80:20 or sometimes 85:15. You would have to introduce fat from pork I suppose?

Better to use 100% (80:20) buffalo meat. It's tough as old boots but has a good taste so mincing it would have a good chance of working, pretty cheap and locally sourced.

Can't quit say Buffalo would be All-American but the rest is very well stated. You apparently are a Foodie. Thanks for the comments.

Will that include synthetic cheese?

I'll presume this comment wad directed at my post.

I have no idea. I've eaten vegan cheese a few times which I was told is synthetic cheese and it would likely have melted in the same way processed cheese does. Not sure it is manufactured in Thailand and would matter to me anyway because it is horrid stuff.

Now before I say this, please let me inform you I am from a state in America where we specialize in cheese. Yes, real cheese does taste better for sure and is superior in many ways to processed. However, "singles" as they are referred to, simply melt better. There is no real reason not to use them. Top restaurants in New York still use high quality versions of "singles". If you buy the right ones, they are basically the same except they are made with a bit more water and not "wax fillers". As for the taste, I would put it on a burger any day. If these guys use Kraft Cheese... then I would have a problem. That stuff is plastic. As long as the meat is fresh, at least 80-20 meat to fat ratio and it comes from a real cow... they should be fine. I ate buffalo before. Not my favorite.