Prayuth declines to commit himself that he will not stage coup

webfact

I think the point being made is that actions have consequences. The day of the coup may not have seen bloodshed - but the coup most certainly caused a great deal of bloodshed in the days, weeks and months following.

No, the coup was bloodless. An election was held the next year and civilian government resumed without a hitch under Samak, "Thaksin's nominee".

Had the government of the day pursued reasonable policies and kept its nose out of the trough all would have been well. But no, they had to go the full retard and throw the country into another cycle of conflict.

What was Samak's major crime??? A cooking show. How ridiculous to dismiss the Prime Minister of a nation for appearing on an obscure television cooking show.

There has clearly been a chain of events aimed at removing any Thaksin backed political parties from power, by any means, beginning with the 2006 military coup through to todays current events. From September 2006 through to today over 100 people have died and god knows how many have been injured (not to mention the economic losses).

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was Samak's major crime??? A cooking show. How ridiculous to dismiss the Prime Minister of a nation for appearing on an obscure television cooking show.

He lied in court and what he lied about was to do with having an extra job besides the one of running the country. Too much to ask for a PM to not do moon lighting work? Seems so. But the reds always mock what happened purely on the basis that it was a cooking show, ignoring the fact that a basic and perfectly reasonable law was ignored, and then lied about in court. They also like to forget that it was perfectly possible for him to simply restand as PM the very next day from having been made to stand down. And why didn't he? Because a convicted criminal in Dubai decided he wanted a change of leadership.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rixalex

Pipkins has only been here since 2007, so don't think he really knows the history of the odious Samak. Irrespective, it was a repulsive proxy appointment, given his vile history of putting pro democracy students to the sword.

• Like 1

I think the point being made is that actions have consequences. The day of the coup may not have seen bloodshed - but the coup most certainly caused a great deal of bloodshed in the days, weeks and months following.

Listen to what Mr Neverdie told you earlier, they're onto you.

Who's onto me and about what?

Have I somehow transgressed.

I have no idea of any of the rules or norms of this place.

You have no idea of the rules or norms of this place?

When you signed on, you ticked the box that you had read the forum rules in order to proceed, apparently did not, here's the link to the forum rules you agreed to abide by when you signed on:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Posts in violation of fair use policy have been removed. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

You have no idea of the rules or norms of this place?

When you signed on, you ticked the box that you had read the forum rules in order to proceed, apparently did not, here's the link to the forum rules you agreed to abide by when you signed on:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Thanks

In my home country, any general that even hinted about launching a coup even once would be immediately stripped of his position. The same thing needs to be done with Prayuth, especially since this is not the first time he has come out with this kind of thing.

A coup will only fan the flames of secessionism and push the country towards civil war.

• Like 1

Yingluck's quiet and restrained approach to dealing with Yellows has outsmarted them and won the ultimate victory for truth, justice and freedom.

In the fullness of time, good always triumphs over evil.

Outsmart, yeah right, we can see you've been paying attention. That's always the most important thing for these people, truth, justice and the dash to freedom. Of course one mans definition of truth and justice doesn't always match the next mans. Most of us recognise the dash to freedom though.

Around here, In the fullness of time all previously banned members return home to roost, it's almost amazing how they stand out.

I am actually new to posting on this forum so I am not whomever you think I am.

I only registered because I thought this place might be an avenue to get some decent information - how wrong that turned out to be.

The goings on here are inane.

So I got carried away on the post, basically trolling towards the end just to fit in, but the initial point I think is valid. It looks to me that the army is slowly backing away from the protestors. The tide has genuinely turned on the whole social structure in Thailand and that is ever so slowly starting to dawn on at least some of the elites. To me, I think the situation here is very similar to South Africa in the 90's. A small ruling elite (whites) eventually gave way to the majority (blacks) - guess which side got called uneducated and easily duped in their arguments? Unfortunately Thaksin is no Mandela but he is still the leader of the majority - that much is undeniable. The elected government in South Africa (ANC) has for the most part been terrible and corrupt (enormous numbers of white Safas have migrated to Australia just to get away from them) - but this fact can hardly justify a return to apartheid. Same principle applies here. Thaksin aint great, but for the country to grow and evolve the will of the majority has to be accepted and the growing pains endured. The Thai aparthied is coming to an end.

And look at South Africa now. Everybody is rushing to live there. And how has South Africa developed for the South Africans? Murder, rape has become a daily occurrence but thats OK because we are black?

Remember the Cambodia of the the 1970's. They killed people because they didn't believe..the educated people..those with glasses? .,The doctors, teachers?

Wake up mate!! The red leaders are only a stones throw away from the same thing.

Very observant. I think we have a large clique of reds who are best described as Thai Rouge. Same inclinations as in Cambodia.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Coup please.

It is the only thing to put all this nonsense to sleep. There will be a little resistance from the UDD and the reds, but that will soon be put to bed with some targeted arrests made at the higher levels, then the reds sent packing like in 2010.

Keep all UDD leaders, PTP MPs suspected of corruption including YL and all red shirt leaders locked up in a military prison to be investigated by a special branch of the NACC with swift and harsh sentencing on irrefutable evidence, to serve as a future warning to anyone else wishing to tread a similar path.

Appoint a neutral PM and cabinet, pay the farmers off via a special budget approval by the constitutional court, and suspend the rice pledging scheme.

Then we can set about imposing the new reforms to hopefully bring Thailand back down to earth.

Calling for a coup and a regime change through violence is illegal and suitable by law. Calling for masscres also. You should go to promote coups and massacres in your country , here this is not welcomed.

Where you here for the last coup?

The only thing that died were the flowers stuck in the tank gun barrels.

There were a few accidents when people were parking two lanes deep to get photo ops with the troops.

Corruption that destroys a country, that is illegal by law.

Me too - I was living in Rajadamri at the time & first I knew of a coup was my dad calling be asking if I was OK.

What worries me is this

"Commenting on a incident last week in Phayao province where some 8,000 volunteers known as village police staged a parade carrying red flags which was attended by several Pheu Thai party members, General Prayuth said he had ordered an investigation into the incident and warned authorities concerned not to allow such a parade to be repeated."

I missed this in the news but this sounds like an 8,000 man militia supported by the current government. Did this not hit the news or was I under a rock that day?

No, the coup was bloodless. An election was held the next year and civilian government resumed without a hitch under Samak, "Thaksin's nominee".

Had the government of the day pursued reasonable policies and kept its nose out of the trough all would have been well. But no, they had to go the full retard and throw the country into another cycle of conflict.

There has clearly been a chain of events aimed at removing any Thaksin backed political parties from power, by any means, beginning with the 2006 military coup through to todays current events. From September 2006 through to today over 100 people have died and god knows how many have been injured (not to mention the economic losses).

Wrong! It was not appearing on a cooking show. It was that he accepted money for it. Can you imagine Obama, Cameron or Merkel appearing on a TV show while getting paid for it???

Coup please.

It is the only thing to put all this nonsense to sleep. There will be a little resistance from the UDD and the reds, but that will soon be put to bed with some targeted arrests made at the higher levels, then the reds sent packing like in 2010.

Keep all UDD leaders, PTP MPs suspected of corruption including YL and all red shirt leaders locked up in a military prison to be investigated by a special branch of the NACC with swift and harsh sentencing on irrefutable evidence, to serve as a future warning to anyone else wishing to tread a similar path.

Appoint a neutral PM and cabinet, pay the farmers off via a special budget approval by the constitutional court, and suspend the rice pledging scheme.

Then we can set about imposing the new reforms to hopefully bring Thailand back down to earth.

Burning down bkk was only a little resistance? 90 dead only a little resistance? Get real. Coup is no solution. The army knows it, thats why its not hapening again. They should've help the govt govern the citizen, by clearing bkk roads. They can protest peacefully, but dont block roads. Blocking roads for months is the same as provoking violence.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

It is hard to imagine a situation most serious than this. A sitting cabinet minister attends a rally that calls for secession. It also calls for readiness for an armed rebellion. And it also admonishes the independent agencies. A sitting prime minister fails to show up to a commission that could lead to her impeachment and removal from office. She attacks the institution on facebook, clearly encouraging the UDD. The UDD cements the NACC from the world before they vow to go to the EC and the Civil Court. It is a horrible situation, and likely prays on Prayuth's mind continually. After all, he is sworn to protect the constitution. And so with these full-frontal assaults on the constitution's empowered institutions - like the independent agencies and the judicial system - the county has been placed in the most dangerous position that it's in. The constitutional process should see this through. It is working. But if the judicial process is impeded - then there is no more dangerous situation than that.

"Anyway, all coups were aimed to end the situation."

Prayuth is acknowledging that a military coup won't work this time - probably never will again in support of the Yellows.

It looks like the military is very slowly starting to separate itself from the protestors and their losing cause.

Without military backing the permanent state institutions addicted to derailing democracy via judicial coups and farcical criminal charges against sitting Prime Ministers (yes, plural) will very quickly be bought under control.

It looks like the events kicked off following the refusal of a small minority to accept the TRT (PPP / PTP) 2005 landslide win (375 out of 500 seats) are finally coming to an end.

Not much left to do put for the anti-democrats to slink off into the dark to hope and pray that no criminal charges are filed against them.

Yingluck's quiet and restrained approach to dealing with Yellows has outsmarted them and won the ultimate victory for truth, justice and freedom.

In the fullness of time, good always triumphs over evil.

Wow man - where do you get your user name, hardly fits lol! biggrin.png

It's a Thai thing. They like when they call the big, fat person 'lek' (tiny). Since he can't be reasoned with, his friends call him ManofReason. Funny, really.

Army chief says he will not tolerate separatism

prayuth-1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Army Commander-in-Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said today (Friday) he would not tolerate attempts by anybody or any group of people to carve out the Thai territory to set up a separate state from the kingdom.

He labelled the people who advocated armed rebellion and separatism as “saliva rebels” when asked by a reporter about cartaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan’s recent remark about civilians getting armed and breaking up the country to form a separate state.

Commenting on a incident last week in Phayao province where some 8,000 volunteers known as village police staged a parade carrying red flags which was attended by several Pheu Thai party members, General Prayuth said he had ordered an investigation into the incident and warned authorities concerned not to allow such a parade to be repeated.

The army chief said he preferred to see protest leader Suthep Thuagsuban and caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to enter into negotiations, adding that preconditions set by the rival parties in the conflict were normal and could be worked out later on.

He condemned the increasing use of M79 grenades in attacks mostly against protesters and warned that the perpetrators would face severe punishment if caught.

Asked about the possibility of a coup, the army chief said that the coup was outdated, adding, however, he could not promise for sure whether there will be a coup or not in the future.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/army-chief-says-will-tolerate-separatism/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-02-28

Let hope if they are going to stage a coup that they do it before the REDS recruit their 600,000 young men that they said are seeking to add to their ranks.

If not it will be a bloodbath...

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. Alexander the Great

• Like 1

Best stay in your barracks.

Better to send in a covert team to Dubai.

Then do a commie cleanup after that.

Agreed. I have never understood why they don't clean up the Dubai problem

Maybe because they have no authority in Dubai. Pointless sending in a covert team to Dubai because their elite navy seals can't even blend in amongst the people in Thailand without being rounded up. What possible chance would they have in Dubai?

Coup please.

Not the most helpful suggestion, coup's of late have been pretty bloody affairs. I know the rich element of Thai society have a difficult time understanding the democratic process but any other path would be anarchy. The point of an election is to decide on who manages the country and if the losers don't modify their policies to attract voters in the next election then they will continue in the wilderness.

The fact that Thailand is so prone to coup's is in the power general's have over politicians, a constitution that gives them impunity is bizarre! I remember swearing an oath of allegiance to the Monarch, her government and officers set over me, to break that oath is in my mind treason.

'coup's of late have been pretty bloody affairs'

What are you talking about? The only 'coup of late' was 2006 and there was not so much as a scraped knee. It could hardly be classified as a coup since the caretaker PM (Thaksin) had already resigned and had been replaced as caretaker PM by his deputy. The man the army removed from office had absolutely no legitimacy in that office. http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/07/01/thailand.timeline/index.html?iref=allsearch

The coup before that was in 1991. Hardly 'of late' and there, again, was no bloodshed.

If you are unsure of history, please don't make it up to suit your needs. The INTERNET is full of free resources; please avail yourself of some of them before posting wrong information. BTW, your credibility is damaged when the premise of your post is factually wrong.

If anyone is looking for an overview of why the political situation is the way it is now, I recommend you read this: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/SEA-01-130114.html

• Like 2

What's with you people?

I am an Australian, been in Thailand since 2007 and never previously posted on TV.

Is it pretentious of me to assume that rather than respond to my super intelligent posts you would rather waste your time accusing me of being someone other than I am?

What does "You have quoted more than the number of quoted blocks of text mean??

There are too many responses to a post. As the posts are 'nested' with the oldest in the center, you can delete the oldest post which will let your new response fit in the alloted maximum of replies. I hope this helps.

What's with you people?

I am an Australian, been in Thailand since 2007 and never previously posted on TV.

Is it pretentious of me to assume that rather than respond to my super intelligent posts you would rather waste your time accusing me of being someone other than I am?

There are too many responses to a post. As the posts are 'nested' with the oldest in the center, you can delete the oldest post which will let your new response fit in the alloted maximum of replies. I hope this helps.

maybe better you go back to australia !!

if you not understand the thai people problem.

prayuth i think he work with thaksin together. is same

never protect my people only the red shirt !

Samak could legally have been returned to the PM's chair the next day. Thaksin's puppet government was still in complete power. In fact, Thaksin's brother in law was made PM. Samak could have done his cooking shows; he broke the law by getting paid for doing them (he publicly admitted getting paid). A PM cannot have two paymasters (divided loyalty? bribes?). Don't you want politicians held to a high standard? Why do you hate Thailand so much that you want it ruled by thieves?

There has clearly been a chain of events aimed at removing any Thaksin backed political parties from power, by any means, beginning with the 2006 military coup through to todays current events.

This is provably false as Thaksin puppet governments have been in power for all but 30 months since 2000. Who, on this forum, is going to believe your lies? Who do you think you are fooling?

• Like 1

Samak could legally have been returned to the PM's chair the next day. Thaksin's puppet government was still in complete power. In fact, Thaksin's brother in law was made PM. Samak could have done his cooking shows; he broke the law by getting paid for doing them (he publicly admitted getting paid). A PM cannot have two paymasters (divided loyalty? bribes?). Don't you want politicians held to a high standard? Why do you hate Thailand so much that you want it ruled by thieves?

There has clearly been a chain of events aimed at removing any Thaksin backed political parties from power, by any means, beginning with the 2006 military coup through to todays current events.

This is provably false as Thaksin puppet governments have been in power for all but 30 months since 2000. Who, on this forum, is going to believe your lies? Who do you think you are fooling?

Yes, Samak could have been returned by the members of the Thaksin backed, duly elected government of the day - but in order to avoid escalating the confrontation with the PAD hordes amassed illegally in streets at the time, the duly elected government made the conciliatory choice to elect Somchai. Whether Samak could have been re-instated or not - the fact that he was removed for appearing on a cooking show was rightly viewed by the entire international community as a ridiculous and farcical turn of events by a biased judiciary with ulterior motives.

Beginning with the 2001 election, Thaksin backed parties have won 5 consecutive elections, each one giving them the constitutional right to form government. I'm not aware of any other entity winning an election in this period - which begs the question why were Thaksins' parties not in power for 30 months? How were the results of 4 elections (Thaksin served the entirety of his first term) overturned?

p.s. There was a military installed government from 19 Sep 2006 until 23 Dec 2007 (appx. 16 months) and the Abhisit judicial coup government from 17 Dec 2008 until 5 Aug 2011(appx. 33 months).

So, pray tell, what lies????

What's with you people?

maybe better you go back to australia !!

if you not understand the thai people problem.

prayuth i think he work with thaksin together. is same

never protect my people only the red shirt !

Your posts lack humour.

You've gone to all the effort to set up a false identity - for what if you can't keep us amused.

Come back when you're actually funny.

Wrong! It was not appearing on a cooking show. It was that he accepted money for it. Can you imagine Obama, Cameron or Merkel appearing on a TV show while getting paid for it???

A token amount of money (to buy ingredients and pay for transport - Samaks' explanation). Are you seriously going to defend this silliness. If Martha Stewart handed over some petty cash to Obama to buy some flour and cocoa to bake a cake on her show not even the Tea Party nutters would attempt to remove him from office for fear of appearing as raving lunatics who could never be taken seriously again forever after . Most countries have difficulties related to their politicians and their expense accounts. Usually where the amount is minimal the money is paid / given back and the voters get their revenge at the next election. Uh-oh I said the scary word.......elections

He told bare faced lies to the panel.

However if he had cooked a newborn baby in coca cola live on TV I'm sure you would be here saying "Ah, but it was only one baby."

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A token amount of money (to buy ingredients and pay for transport - Samaks' explanation). Are you seriously going to defend this silliness. If Martha Stewart handed over some petty cash to Obama to buy some flour and cocoa to bake a cake on her show not even the Tea Party nutters would attempt to remove him from office for fear of appearing as raving lunatics who could never be taken seriously again forever after . Most countries have difficulties related to their politicians and their expense accounts. Usually where the amount is minimal the money is paid / given back and the voters get their revenge at the next election. Uh-oh I said the scary word.......elections

He told bare faced lies to the panel.

However if he had cooked a newborn baby in coca cola live on TV I'm sure you would be here saying "Ah, but it was only one baby."

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"If he had cooked a newborn baby in coca cola". <deleted>? Bizarre!

The law should be blind and impartial and treat all people equally. So had Samak actually cooked a baby in coca cola I would be saying that he should tried in a court of law and if convicted suffer the appropriate punishment issued by the judge.

I'm not sure how a thread about Thai politics ended up discussing cooking babies in coca cola, probably something to do with one side of the discussion trying to avoid factual debate. A tacit admission of the weakness of the arguement.

Before finishing I just want to say "cooking babies in coca cola" one more time, when else will I or anyone else ever type those words again?

???