Prayuth declines to commit himself that he will not stage coup

webfact

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Army chief says he will not tolerate separatism

prayuth-1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Army Commander-in-Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said today (Friday) he would not tolerate attempts by anybody or any group of people to carve out the Thai territory to set up a separate state from the kingdom.

He labelled the people who advocated armed rebellion and separatism as “saliva rebels” when asked by a reporter about cartaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan’s recent remark about civilians getting armed and breaking up the country to form a separate state.

Commenting on a incident last week in Phayao province where some 8,000 volunteers known as village police staged a parade carrying red flags which was attended by several Pheu Thai party members, General Prayuth said he had ordered an investigation into the incident and warned authorities concerned not to allow such a parade to be repeated.

The army chief said he preferred to see protest leader Suthep Thuagsuban and caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to enter into negotiations, adding that preconditions set by the rival parties in the conflict were normal and could be worked out later on.

He condemned the increasing use of M79 grenades in attacks mostly against protesters and warned that the perpetrators would face severe punishment if caught.

Asked about the possibility of a coup, the army chief said that the coup was outdated, adding, however, he could not promise for sure whether there will be a coup or not in the future.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/army-chief-says-will-tolerate-separatism/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-02-28

Let hope if they are going to stage a coup that they do it before the REDS recruit their 600,000 young men that they said are seeking to add to their ranks.

If not it will be a bloodbath...

Thai wife saw you posting and laughed

600,000 men against a trained army

a great way to put Issan into the money

That will make 600,000 single Thai ladies looking for Falang

and they will bring western money to Issan

Sick comment

but sadly she's right

Edited by tezzainoz

BANGKOK: -- Army Commander-in-Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said today (Friday) he would not tolerate attempts by anybody or any group of people to carve out the Thai territory to set up a separate state from the kingdom.

He labelled the people who advocated armed rebellion and separatism as “saliva rebels” when asked by a reporter about cartaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan’s recent remark about civilians getting armed and breaking up the country to form a separate state.

Commenting on a incident last week in Phayao province where some 8,000 volunteers known as village police staged a parade carrying red flags which was attended by several Pheu Thai party members, General Prayuth said he had ordered an investigation into the incident and warned authorities concerned not to allow such a parade to be repeated.

The army chief said he preferred to see protest leader Suthep Thuagsuban and caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to enter into negotiations, adding that preconditions set by the rival parties in the conflict were normal and could be worked out later on.

He condemned the increasing use of M79 grenades in attacks mostly against protesters and warned that the perpetrators would face severe punishment if caught.

Asked about the possibility of a coup, the army chief said that the coup was outdated, adding, however, he could not promise for sure whether there will be a coup or not in the future.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/army-chief-says-will-tolerate-separatism/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-02-28

Let hope if they are going to stage a coup that they do it before the REDS recruit their 600,000 young men that they said are seeking to add to their ranks.

Sick comment

but sadly she's right

Pretty funny though... they have a way of boiling it down to the bare nub of reality! Cheers!

• Like 1

Yingluck's quiet and restrained approach to dealing with Yellows has outsmarted them and won the ultimate victory for truth, justice and freedom.

In the fullness of time, good always triumphs over evil.

Outsmart, yeah right, we can see you've been paying attention. That's always the most important thing for these people, truth, justice and the dash to freedom. Of course one mans definition of truth and justice doesn't always match the next mans. Most of us recognise the dash to freedom though.

Around here, In the fullness of time all previously banned members return home to roost, it's almost amazing how they stand out.

I am actually new to posting on this forum so I am not whomever you think I am.

I only registered because I thought this place might be an avenue to get some decent information - how wrong that turned out to be.

The goings on here are inane.

So I got carried away on the post, basically trolling towards the end just to fit in, but the initial point I think is valid. It looks to me that the army is slowly backing away from the protestors. The tide has genuinely turned on the whole social structure in Thailand and that is ever so slowly starting to dawn on at least some of the elites. To me, I think the situation here is very similar to South Africa in the 90's. A small ruling elite (whites) eventually gave way to the majority (blacks) - guess which side got called uneducated and easily duped in their arguments? Unfortunately Thaksin is no Mandela but he is still the leader of the majority - that much is undeniable. The elected government in South Africa (ANC) has for the most part been terrible and corrupt (enormous numbers of white Safas have migrated to Australia just to get away from them) - but this fact can hardly justify a return to apartheid. Same principle applies here. Thaksin aint great, but for the country to grow and evolve the will of the majority has to be accepted and the growing pains endured. The Thai aparthied is coming to an end.

davejones23

A coup just before the government and the UN can officially call for reconcilliation talks.

Convenient, eh?

sent from my hippo phone

I thought I read that Yinluck said no to talks with Suthep. I'm not on either side, but Suthep is willing to have talks from what I read. Yinluck said no. A TV debate would allow all Thais see what's being said on both sides.

A TV debate?

Nah, Yingluck would loose out to Suthep in every way. She hasn't gotten the experience of debating somebody like Suthep. She would look sooo old compared to him, that her spin doctors are all and completely against something like a one-on-one discussion. That's also why she wants to have a lot of support staff around her, who would do all the talking and she just sitting in between them, quiet.

• Like 1

In 60s and 70 s coup were staged by power crazy generals who control the people but nowdays if situation beyond control to stage a coup is to keep both side from fighting each other the intention not for grabbing power but to solve the country problems, there few reasons that hardly to stage a coup are the red side might fght back with more worsen the situation and international presure for a coup government. It try not to happen but is the only last final resort, so the hint do or do not still depend on the daily situation .

Coup please.

It is the only thing to put all this nonsense to sleep. There will be a little resistance from the UDD and the reds, but that will soon be put to bed with some targeted arrests made at the higher levels, then the reds sent packing like in 2010.

Keep all UDD leaders, PTP MPs suspected of corruption including YL and all red shirt leaders locked up in a military prison to be investigated by a special branch of the NACC with swift and harsh sentencing on irrefutable evidence, to serve as a future warning to anyone else wishing to tread a similar path.

Appoint a neutral PM and cabinet, pay the farmers off via a special budget approval by the constitutional court, and suspend the rice pledging scheme.

Then we can set about imposing the new reforms to hopefully bring Thailand back down to earth.

Calling for a coup and a regime change through violence is illegal and suitable by law. Calling for masscres also. You should go to promote coups and massacres in your country , here this is not welcomed.

In 60s and 70 s coup were staged by power crazy generals who control the people but nowdays if situation beyond control to stage a coup is to keep both side from fighting each other the intention not for grabbing power but to solve the country problems, there few reasons that hardly to stage a coup are the red side might fght back with more worsen the situation and international presure for a coup government. It try not to happen but is the only last final resort, so the hint do or do not still depend on the daily situation .

Nowadays it's exactly the same.

They just use a mercenary like Suthep to cause havoc and than have the perfect excuse.

Thailand hasn't changed a millimeter since the sad day of the 1932 coup.

Edited by max72

It is hard to imagine a situation most serious than this. A sitting cabinet minister attends a rally that calls for secession. It also calls for readiness for an armed rebellion. And it also admonishes the independent agencies. A sitting prime minister fails to show up to a commission that could lead to her impeachment and removal from office. She attacks the institution on facebook, clearly encouraging the UDD. The UDD cements the NACC from the world before they vow to go to the EC and the Civil Court. It is a horrible situation, and likely prays on Prayuth's mind continually. After all, he is sworn to protect the constitution. And so with these full-frontal assaults on the constitution's empowered institutions - like the independent agencies and the judicial system - the county has been placed in the most dangerous position that it's in. The constitutional process should see this through. It is working. But if the judicial process is impeded - then there is no more dangerous situation than that.

Your right Scamper, but for one item. The judicial process has been impeded in Thailand for the last 60-70 years. There is a rule of law that applies to one, but not the other. Until the Judicial System is eradicated of all corruption and nepotism it in essence really remains a toothless tiger for the elite and a hell hole for the average joe bloe. Also the military is not in charge of ensuring that parties uphold the constitution otherwise a coup would have occurred ages ago. Its primary purpose is to serve and protect both King and Country, being the people. In Prayuths own words he admitted that a coup would be illegal. The constitution has been broken by both political sides, and in this case it appears at face value that you may be in correct in your above assertion.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is hard to imagine a situation most serious than this. A sitting cabinet minister attends a rally that calls for secession. It also calls for readiness for an armed rebellion. And it also admonishes the independent agencies. A sitting prime minister fails to show up to a commission that could lead to her impeachment and removal from office. She attacks the institution on facebook, clearly encouraging the UDD. The UDD cements the NACC from the world before they vow to go to the EC and the Civil Court. It is a horrible situation, and likely prays on Prayuth's mind continually. After all, he is sworn to protect the constitution. And so with these full-frontal assaults on the constitution's empowered institutions - like the independent agencies and the judicial system - the county has been placed in the most dangerous position that it's in. The constitutional process should see this through. It is working. But if the judicial process is impeded - then there is no more dangerous situation than that.

"Anyway, all coups were aimed to end the situation."

Prayuth is acknowledging that a military coup won't work this time - probably never will again in support of the Yellows.

It looks like the military is very slowly starting to separate itself from the protestors and their losing cause.

Without military backing the permanent state institutions addicted to derailing democracy via judicial coups and farcical criminal charges against sitting Prime Ministers (yes, plural) will very quickly be bought under control.

It looks like the events kicked off following the refusal of a small minority to accept the TRT (PPP / PTP) 2005 landslide win (375 out of 500 seats) are finally coming to an end.

Not much left to do put for the anti-democrats to slink off into the dark to hope and pray that no criminal charges are filed against them.

Yingluck's quiet and restrained approach to dealing with Yellows has outsmarted them and won the ultimate victory for truth, justice and freedom.

A very familiar posting style. coffee1.gif

Whose style is it similar to? Someone who has been quiet of late?

Coup please.

It is the only thing to put all this nonsense to sleep. There will be a little resistance from the UDD and the reds, but that will soon be put to bed with some targeted arrests made at the higher levels, then the reds sent packing like in 2010.

Keep all UDD leaders, PTP MPs suspected of corruption including YL and all red shirt leaders locked up in a military prison to be investigated by a special branch of the NACC with swift and harsh sentencing on irrefutable evidence, to serve as a future warning to anyone else wishing to tread a similar path.

Appoint a neutral PM and cabinet, pay the farmers off via a special budget approval by the constitutional court, and suspend the rice pledging scheme.

Then we can set about imposing the new reforms to hopefully bring Thailand back down to earth.

Not the most helpful suggestion, coup's of late have been pretty bloody affairs. I know the rich element of Thai society have a difficult time understanding the democratic process but any other path would be anarchy. The point of an election is to decide on who manages the country and if the losers don't modify their policies to attract voters in the next election then they will continue in the wilderness.

The fact that Thailand is so prone to coup's is in the power general's have over politicians, a constitution that gives them impunity is bizarre! I remember swearing an oath of allegiance to the Monarch, her government and officers set over me, to break that oath is in my mind treason.

• Like 1

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-02-28

Sick comment

but sadly she's right

Not so funny a comment when 2/3rds of enlisted soldiers come from the north and north east! And with 5 times the amount of Generals then the entire combined military forces of America, nothing to be sleazed at should they splinter.... Reloaded!

Prayuth is acknowledging that a military coup won't work this time - probably never will again in support of the Yellows.

It looks like the military is very slowly starting to separate itself from the protestors and their losing cause.

Without military backing the permanent state institutions addicted to derailing democracy via judicial coups and farcical criminal charges against sitting Prime Ministers (yes, plural) will very quickly be bought under control.

It looks like the events kicked off following the refusal of a small minority to accept the TRT (PPP / PTP) 2005 landslide win (375 out of 500 seats) are finally coming to an end.

Not much left to do put for the anti-democrats to slink off into the dark to hope and pray that no criminal charges are filed against them.

A very familiar posting style. coffee1.gif

Whose style is it similar to? Someone who has been quiet of late?

Would love to be enlightened...

Coup please.

Not the most helpful suggestion, coup's of late have been pretty bloody affairs. I know the rich element of Thai society have a difficult time understanding the democratic process but any other path would be anarchy. The point of an election is to decide on who manages the country and if the losers don't modify their policies to attract voters in the next election then they will continue in the wilderness.

The fact that Thailand is so prone to coup's is in the power general's have over politicians, a constitution that gives them impunity is bizarre! I remember swearing an oath of allegiance to the Monarch, her government and officers set over me, to break that oath is in my mind treason.

Innocent until proven guilty also rings a bell. Shall we lock up Suthep and his hoards of navy seals, protestors who in part have broken numerous laws and the rest of society that does not like the reds? IMO the violence is clearly coming from both sides and its sick.

He is still waiting for the call to step in. Then we will see how many parts of the army will follow his command.

Very observant post. Prayuth knows within the military the different factions that he is facing he also is keenly aware of where the majority of the military are from, not to mention his own Generals. A man caught in a mouse trap at present, all be it a seemingly intelligent man at that one may say....

What's with you people?

I am an Australian, been in Thailand since 2007 and never previously posted on TV.

Is it pretentious of me to assume that rather than respond to my super intelligent posts you would rather waste your time accusing me of being someone other than I am?

What does "You have quoted more than the number of quoted blocks of text mean??

Coup please.

Calling for a coup and a regime change through violence is illegal and suitable by law. Calling for masscres also. You should go to promote coups and massacres in your country , here this is not welcomed.

Where you here for the last coup?

The only thing that died were the flowers stuck in the tank gun barrels.

There were a few accidents when people were parking two lanes deep to get photo ops with the troops.

Corruption that destroys a country, that is illegal by law.

The General clearly understands that a coup would be a disaster for Thailand and set the country back decades. In contrast to some of the more rabid posters on this site, he also recognises that this is a complex situation requiring delicate negotiations, rather than the simplistic, laughable " get rid of shin and everything will be great" mantra .

• Like 2

Agreed there is no more dangerous situation but look at who started capturing gov't buildings and institutions. The blame game has a lot of figures to point at causes and the betting has just been increased. The judiciary has always taken sides, that is why they call it a "judicial coup". When a Civil Court this week can rule that a law passed by the Legislature (Emergency Decree) cannot be enforced as states in such law, you have just lost the Rule of Law and gathered the disrespect of people.

One of the problems here is there are few, if any, impartial organizations in Thailand, with family members sitting on multiple boards of these supposedly "independent" organizations and 3,4,or 5 members of the same family as MPs all voting the same. One guy on the NACC Committee chasing Yingluck was even involved with the 2006 Coup. Guess what side he is on?

The system is rotten to the core and needs reforming very much, but not through a civil war, revolution and tanks in the streets, which represents the utter collapse of the country. Look at the Ukraine as an example, or Egypt and now possibly Venezuela.

• Like 1

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-02-28

Sick comment

but sadly she's right

And who will make up this trained army? Munchkin men from Surat? General Tanasak has committed them all to the elections and democracy anyway.

Suthep doesn't control the airforce and only a small rogue faction of the Navy. On the army side he only has Prayuth, his old friend. So him, a few old soldiers like Seh Oud and who else? They'd be breaking their orders to have a coup.

In 2006 the soldiers weren't aware of what was going on, they were told all sorts of cover stories, sent to Bangkok, their phones taken off them, and wakened at 4am and ordered to guard this building or that building.... Now there's no doing that, everyone knows, and you read comments from soldiers and sailor on Pantip distancing themselves from the Seals faction.

Really all Prayuth offers Suthep is the occassional strong word, when the police try to arrest Suthep. He prolongs Suthep's popcorn-coup, he don't help it.

The battle for the army was lost in December.

No their only front is the judicial coup, and the army seems to be in town to protect the independent agencies from a backlash for the coup attempt.

[added: don't forget Yingluk has US backing for the democracy route, which means all their comms is known]

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Coup please.

Dictatorship and Civil war please?

Outsmart, yeah right, we can see you've been paying attention. That's always the most important thing for these people, truth, justice and the dash to freedom. Of course one mans definition of truth and justice doesn't always match the next mans. Most of us recognise the dash to freedom though.

Around here, In the fullness of time all previously banned members return home to roost, it's almost amazing how they stand out.

I only registered because I thought this place might be an avenue to get some decent information - how wrong that turned out to be.

So I got carried away on the post, basically trolling towards the end just to fit in, but the initial point I think is valid. It looks to me that the army is slowly backing away from the protestors. The tide has genuinely turned on the whole social structure in Thailand and that is ever so slowly starting to dawn on at least some of the elites. To me, I think the situation here is very similar to South Africa in the 90's. A small ruling elite (whites) eventually gave way to the majority (blacks) - guess which side got called uneducated and easily duped in their arguments? Unfortunately Thaksin is no Mandela but he is still the leader of the majority - that much is undeniable. The elected government in South Africa (ANC) has for the most part been terrible and corrupt (enormous numbers of white Safas have migrated to Australia just to get away from them) - but this fact can hardly justify a return to apartheid. Same principle applies here. Thaksin aint great, but for the country to grow and evolve the will of the majority has to be accepted and the growing pains endured. The Thai aparthied is coming to an end.

And look at South Africa now. Everybody is rushing to live there. And how has South Africa developed for the South Africans? Murder, rape has become a daily occurrence but thats OK because we are black?

Remember the Cambodia of the the 1970's. They killed people because they didn't believe..the educated people..those with glasses? .,The doctors, teachers?

Wake up mate!! The red leaders are only a stones throw away from the same thing.

• Like 2

Sorry manofreason,

I may look like a priest, but I'm not one. why you are confessing to me is beyond me, but thanks for being decent enough to admit you were trolling. PLEASE desist.

I cannot fault anything you have said. I will add thet the General is an intelligent person. He knows a coup will shatter the country for good. Many things valued by Thais, of all political persuasions and of none, could be lost in the process. He also knows he cannot enforce a coup outside of Bangkok and there will be bloodshed if he does try. He probably cannot rely on all of his troops either. The government and population were taken by surprise in 2006. Not so this time. It would be naive to think that counter measures have not been planned.

There is another factor that could be weighing on the General's mind. On their own admission, the military did not make a good job of running the country last time and it is very doubtful they will do any better if they try again. This time the problems are far more difficult. The military would prefer not to have to try to solve those issues knowing they do not have the goodwill of a substantial part of the population which will, rightly so, believe they have been cheated yet again by the military.

Installing a civil administration is not a realistic option. A government of "national unity" would be a failure as there is no cause for the country to unify around. An appointed body, such as is being called for by Suthep, could be the spark that sets the tinder box alight.

• Like 1

Further coup will not end any situation. The armed forces should stand on the side of the democratically elected government with the King as the head of state to reinstate law and order and enforcing the rule of law.

where have you been for the last 2 months

There is no democratically elected government

The country is in caretaker mode because of corrupt practices

what rule of Law

any time the law is against the Taskin family

the law is no good

where do you come up with all the BS from

Your twist that a caretaker government is not as well as a democratically people elected government with the King as the HOS is not funny at all.

In fact, it seems that you are trivializing the mandatory role of the armed forces to stand on the side of a government to reinstate law and order and enforcing the rule of law. - even if it is on caretaker mode, in accordance to the Constitution and Royal Decree. It is not BS and your twist was not funny at all.

When is 'any time' the law is against Tasin family, the law is no good.

You may try to twist, spin or distort to win or provoke an argument, but that does not solve what are actually happening socially, politically and in the independence judiciary. In fact you cannot offer any suggestion for the peace and the unifying of my beloved Thailand with such attitude. Your triviality is childish.

• Like 1

And look at South Africa now. Everybody is rushing to live there. And how has South Africa developed for the South Africans? Murder, rape has become a daily occurrence but thats OK because we are black?

Remember the Cambodia of the the 1970's. They killed people because they didn't believe..the educated people..those with glasses? .,The doctors, teachers?

Wake up mate!! The red leaders are only a stones throw away from the same thing.

Yes there will be trouble ahead - but you have to keep moving in the right direction - towards a free and open society for all citizens. I don't imagine Thailand will be anywhere as bad as South Africa has become, but there will be growing pains here. Out of curiosity, do you think South Africa should return to apartheid? If they did the crime rate would no doubt go down - do you think that would justify disenfranchising the majority of the citizens and turning them into second class citizens???