Uk TV Asia has merged with Thai expat tv. – effective 1 March

Mobi

First I have even heard of this!

How does it work? seems to be computer based? Is there a way to watch on your TV set without having to hook up the computer to it (which I can't do as I don't have wifi out here, using TOT and cable wouldn't reach). ???

You could buy the Android Box, which will cost 5.999 Thb (includes 3 months subscription) or 8.998 Thb (incl. 12 Months)

Link here: https://www.thaiexpat.tv/android.php

The android box you then need to connect to your TOT Modem / Router and with an HDMI Cable to your TV.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the software remains the same for now and still works as before. The only change is they've made is to change the name at top right hand corner of the screen to Thai Expat.

My only concern on this is will they eventually phase this software out and make the old UKTV subscribers migrate to the Thai Expat software, which apparently is not quite as good?

As regards picture quality and sound, well I don’t wish to get into a great debate on this as I'm not a video expert or a sound engineer and I'm sure there are others out there who know far better than me.

What I will say is that I watch UKTV on a 40inch LG , HD screen and the picture is perfectly acceptable. It is better quality than the Cable TV transmission, (which in itself is not at all bad), and is heaps better than the picture quality I used to get on True Vision a few years back when I used their platinum service.

Whether the Freeview service in the UK is better - I couldn’t really say, and maybe it is; but for me, considering that I live 6,000 miles from the UK in an isolated part of the Chon Buri countryside in what is still a developing country, I am very happy with the quality.

It is far and away the most comprehensive, easy to watch, trouble free TV service I have ever had outside of the UK and I think at 10 to 12 pounds per month, it is good value for money.

Before I heard about UKTV I paid 10 quid a month for a VPN so that I could access BBC iPlayer. That worked quite well, but was nowhere near as comprehensive, or user-friendly as the current set up and the picture was no better in quality. Streaming live was impossible due to excessive buffering. In the UKTV set-up, no buffering at all.

As far as sound quality goes, well as per above, I am not an expert and do not really understand the references to sound compression.

However I am quite fussy about my sound quality as I listen to a lot of music, much of it classical, and I use an old, but excellent Sony theatre system, which I also use for watching TV. Occasionally it is not great, but 99% of the time it is absolutely fine, even for concerts, or movies with a lot of background music.

It seems that others, presumably much younger than this old fart, are a bit harder to please, which is a shame, because you will never get the perfection you seem to demand so far from home.

I am only too happy that I have the current service and long may it continue.

The europa digital one will actually be over 80 channels + the free movies on demand. The web site will nott be updated until the asian server is on line

But with pricing close to True visions. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Have just installed and tried this.

Not a chance, buffering like crazy, I used to use the Thai Expat but it got worse after a year and changed to UK-TV no problems what so ever.

Just hope they keep UK system going.

AND I paid for the month before I saw the notice that they had changed so I guess thats money gone as Thai Expat are now sending me an invoice!

Why pay ??

You can watch uk tv for free as follows:

using Firefox, download Media Hint add on:

https://addons.mozil...don/media-hint/

once installed, just click on the following link for your tv guide....then click on the programme you want to watch and the site automatically connects you to the relevant player (works for bbc player, itv player and ch4 player - but not ch5)

http://www.televisioncatchup.co.uk/

its very user friendly and free.....

Have just installed and tried this.

Not a chance, buffering like crazy, I used to use the Thai Expat but it got worse after a year and changed to UK-TV no problems what so ever.

Just hope they keep UK system going.

AND I paid for the month before I saw the notice that they had changed so I guess thats money gone as Thai Expat are now sending me an invoice!

Why pay ??

You can watch uk tv for free as follows:

using Firefox, download Media Hint add on:

https://addons.mozil...don/media-hint/

once installed, just click on the following link for your tv guide....then click on the programme you want to watch and the site automatically connects you to the relevant player (works for bbc player, itv player and ch4 player - but not ch5)

http://www.televisioncatchup.co.uk/

its very user friendly and free.....

its yer internet bloke...works perfectly here in Wongamat.......

soz and all that.....

Just watching last night's Top Gear......

<snip>

Just email them and ask what is wrong.

The old email (UKTV one) still works and if not PM me and I will give you the ExpatTV email address (if you don't have that one already wink.png )

Edited by MJCM

<snip>

Have you tried it while watching a "Live" Broadcast ?

I have and got more then enough of the buffering and that's why I switched over. And my internet is good, I even have 2 lines so in case of problems with one I switch over to the other.

<snip>

Have you tried it while watching a "Live" Broadcast ?

I have and got more then enough of the buffering and that's why I switched over. And my internet is good, I even have 2 lines so in case of problems with one I switch over to the other.

Alright 2 lines,

why would i want to watch a "live broadcast" ??

there is a 7 hour time difference, so early evening here, Andy Pandy is on in the UK.....

what i recommended was a free way of watching i player/ itv player and C4 player...............if you want to part with 600 b a month for the same stuff, that's fine by me....

What i suggested works fine for me, topped up with torrents from X Speeds, Torrentday, Torrenting, Scenetime, TV Chaos, Seventorrents, extratorrent, kickass torrents and a little piratebay and demonoid chucked in for good measure - All for free.....

Right, back to Top Gear

post-95864-0-18301100-1393830312_thumb.j

You are lucky that it works for you, I think a lot of people who are on crappy internet (in hotels or condos or wherever) are more then willing to pay the 600 Thb to have a good viewing experience.

Your solution doesn't work for everyone !

wai.gif

Ps: That picture I saw before in a topic about televisions (that isn't from yesterdays Top Gear thumbsup.gif

Edited by MJCM

Been reading the posts. Am I correct in saying that watching UK TV through a subscription with either UKTVAsia or ThaiexpatTV there is no buffering. At present I watch UK TV for free via Expat Shield on the catchup sites as live is a no no with my international bandwidth. However I only seem able to watch this at odd times through the early hours and mornings just recently so am prepared to pay a 600 Baht monthly subscription for buffer free, watch anytime BBC, ITV etc..Please confirm or otherwise.

Also are these boxes just a plug in and play or are they required to be set up in some way with app installations?

Nope when you buy a box from them, you only have to plugin the Ethernet cable in your router / modem (and the box of course) and a HDMI cable from the box to your TV. So it's plug and play.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

This may be very basic, but, do you actually need the Set Top Box? I have now been onto the website and see that one can purchase a subscription separate to the purchase of a box. If the box is not required can you inform me as to what benefits a box will bring to the table. Thanks!

This may be very basic, but, do you actually need the Set Top Box? I have now been onto the website and see that one can purchase a subscription separate to the purchase of a box. If the box is not required can you inform me as to what benefits a box will bring to the table. Thanks!

Nope (again) you don't need the box, you could for example install the program on your laptop put it next (or near) your TV and control the program with a wireless mouse from your sofa (for example)

I for example stream it from my PC (wireless) to my Apple TV's (which are connected) to my TV's

Edit: // Added Ps:

Ps: The advantage from the box would be that you don't tie up a PC while watching TV. So you could use the PC to "work" and watch UKTV via the Android Box connected to your TV. Personally I like the PC version better, as I feel that I have more control but YMMV ;)

Edited by MJCM

I really wouldn't bother with the box.

The only change I have seen to date since the merger is that I now have a couple of channels in HD, so all good as far as I'm concerned.

No doubt there will be some in uproar with the extra 100 baht per month and will be cancelling their subscriptions.

You are lucky that it works for you, I think a lot of people who are on crappy internet (in hotels or condos or wherever) are more then willing to pay the 600 Thb to have a good viewing experience.

Your solution doesn't work for everyone !

wai.gif

Ps: That picture I saw before in a topic about televisions (that isn't from yesterdays Top Gear thumbsup.gif

* picture for illustration purposes only....

incidentially you keep harping on about ex pat TV so much, you're begining to sound the "boy that cried woolf" - and you know what happened in the end....

Are you on their payrole / connected to them in someway - or is it that you've got &lt;deleted&gt; all going on with your life, so are on here all the time ??

I was waiting for that comment !! Nope I am not on their payroll, just a happy (former) UKTV customer. And why I am here so much, <none of your business> thumbsup.gif

And sorry if I am trying to be helpful. Isn't that what this forum is all about to help each other or ....... ?????

wai.gif

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have had Thai Expat TV since September 2012, on the whole I have been happy with the service, though some channels don't seem to work. I have the original set top box and tomorrow will be fitting the new one. I also have UKTV which is brilliant. smile.png

Nope (again) you don't need the box, you could for example install the program on your laptop put it next (or near) your TV and control the program with a wireless mouse from your sofa (for example)

I for example stream it from my PC (wireless) to my Apple TV's (which are connected) to my TV's

Edit: // Added Ps:

Ps: The advantage from the box would be that you don't tie up a PC while watching TV. So you could use the PC to "work" and watch UKTV via the Android Box connected to your TV. Personally I like the PC version better, as I feel that I have more control but YMMV wink.png

I dont have the box, and my tv aint tied up when watching uktv, I have installed a 4 port vga splitter.

Well, had the new set top box for a couple of days and am extremely happy with it. Watch what you want when you want. By the way, I am running it on a 19 year old JVC TV, so if anybody is using an old TV let the company know so that adjustments can be made so that it will work as they are set up to run on the "new" LED HD TV's.I just can't throw things away!

I've been very happy with UKTV but updated to ThaiExpat software as recommended - it was awful! So I've immediately switched back.

Unless I'm missing something the inability to record past programs is a deal-breaker as far as Im concerned

plus I couldn't even find a way to change the default directories to save the programs

and the live recording function was anything but user-friendly

I also tried that Mozilla add-on that so many people have been going on about -

ok, it's free but can u record programs you've missed and save them to hard disk to watch when u feel like it?

I am currently running down my 1 year subscription to UKTV,which

worked out at 380 bht, p.m. ,which was ok, but dont think its now

worth 600 bht p.m. with Expat tv, so will not be renewing,there is

a lot of crap on UK tv,too much reality,game shows,the good stuff,

Top Gear,BBC dramas, ITV dramas, I can easily find them on several

sites,for free and watch them when I want.

I also have ilikeHD, which I mostly watch,has has many good channels,

movies,documentary,XXX (if you want it),must be the best value in Thailand

at 200 bht,also runs well on poor Internet as has BKK servers,you can put

it on PC. android,and MAC, send me PM and i will send you invite.

regards Worgeordie

would anyone be able to post a link to the old UKTV-Asia player, I uninstalled it to try the new one and I don't like the new one at all.

Cheers

k.

Just Google UKTV-Asia.com

However, as they have now been taken over, you might only be able to download the new Ex Pat player

I don't like the new one, but got an email today saying it needed changing so I uninstalled and changed it.

Seems slower than the UKTV player

Check it out

a lot of crap on UK tv,

Indeed. 600B to watch on average one or two programmes per day is just far too high, especially as nearly all the programmes can be found elsewhere for free with a little effort. The 1000B/3-month offer they had at Christmas was already at the top end of what the service is worth.

a lot of crap on UK tv,

Indeed. 600B to watch on average one or two programmes per day is just far too high, especially as nearly all the programmes can be found elsewhere for free with a little effort. The 1000B/3-month offer they had at Christmas was already at the top end of what the service is worth.

It's up to the individual what they like to watch, and decide for themselves whether there's value for money here. I took out a years subscription in August, and I'm delighted with the quality. The added bonus is the Brazil World Cup coverage in June, covered by ITV and BBC...and will be much better than any of the amateurish alternatives.

Edited by BenCrew