Expat couple looking to meet new friends

Ebenweb

My wife and I have moved here recently and are looking to meet people.

We're 33 and 40, Canadian and South African and have been living in Australia for the last few years. She's an artist and I'm in marketing.

Is there a "meet people and get together" expat site? What's a good way to reach out? Any FB pages we should know about?

The Chiang Mai expat club meets on the 4th Saturday of every month at Le Meridien Hotel. You can look them up on their web site. They generally have a lot of people in attendance. At the beginning of each meeting, they give new comers to CM an opportunity to say a little about themselves.

many facebook pages, dedicated to chiang mai activites... what,where,when-chiangmai lists a lot of events that may appeal to you.

where you live in town, your ability to get around town, your personal preferences in activities... hell, there are folks begging for people to play

softball on weekends, other folks joining up at small clubs/bars... and most of that info will be found on the FB pages

I don't live in CM, but will tell you where I've met some great new friends.

We just met some nice people at a jazz event hosted by a small restaurant. While sitting there, we started up a conversation with a coupe and a single guy and now are quite good friends. Don't be shy! We met a fantastic couple at a condo opening party. Of all places. He's a former high commissioner from Canada. Just watched the Canadian hockey games with him and his friends in Bangkok. I think every Canadian in Bangkok was at that bar.

Speaking of that, he invited us to the Thai-Canadian chamber of commerce Xmas party last year. We met some wonderful people there. Including the current high commissioner to Thailand. Great fun.

Probably our closest friends have been met at various backyard BBQs around town, and also here on thaivisa! Do you have Mover and Shaker meets up there? Lighthouse Club? Ladies expat clubs? Biking clubs are also great.

As always, some work out, some don't. But that's life. It's harder to meet people in your age bracket because of their jobs. A lot of the people we hang out with are quite older than us, but that's just fine.

Best of luck!

What type of activities are you interested in? There are running, biking, and hiking groups, as well as others.

She's mainly a jeweller but also photography/visual arts. We're both pretty outdoorsy, though she's less into hiking. We'd be up for softball and the like if the group is fun and not too serious about it--we've never swung a bat in our lives. I'm into rock climbing, martial arts and I write in my spare time. Pretty much up for anything.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Have you tried it for Chiang Mai?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I did in Bangkok, but was hard for me to participate much as I don't live there any more. A bit too far for me to drive for the events. But they had some really good ones.

If she's an artist, head down to Sangdee for a drink and chat.

They're open at 11am until midnight.

Usually quite quiet during the day but there's always a nice crowd in the evenings.

Map

Sounds good. Where's that?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The Chiang Mai expat club meets on the 4th Saturday of every month at Le Meridien Hotel. You can look them up on their web site. They generally have a lot of people in attendance. At the beginning of each meeting, they give new comers to CM an opportunity to say a little about themselves.

Sounds a bit like AA?

My name is Fred and I'm an expat?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

laugh.png Excellent