restaurant seafood in Pattaya

koiwaolao

Its a shame that with the abundance of fresh catches from the ocean there is a severe shortage of restaurants who prepare food to western taste! Prawns are mostly steamed, squid served poorly cleaned and fish which lacks any preparation fantasy. To crown it all, condiments served auch as sauces are pagan to say the least!

The other day I was in Pnohm Penh and had this delicious seafood platter, grilled butterflied prawns, grilled calamari with periperi and tasty fish, all served with yellow rice and fries as well as civilized sauces! Price 10 USD.

Now, any idea where I can get simular in Pattaya?

post-124644-0-82883300-1393585140_thumb.

• Like 1

Yellow rice and chips? That's not any national cuisine I know of. Maybe Bradford.

I think I could quite easily find something better than that here for the 300B you mention, but it would not be the same (no chips for a start).

Bradford? You seem to be a real gourmet! I was talking about Western/International cuisine.

Yellow rice and chips? That's not any national cuisine I know of. Maybe Bradford.

I think I could quite easily find something better than that here for the 300B you mention, but it would not be the same (no chips for a start).

Bradford? You seem to be a real gourmet! I was talking about Western/International cuisine.

That may be the problem. Off-hand I can't think of anywhere in Pattaya that would serve a mixture like that. A Thai restaurant certainly wouldn't, at least not all on the same plate.

You can get good battered fish and chips in Jomtien and elsewhere quite easily for 100B, add a few BBQ prawns from a stall and a squid/rice dish from wherever and I suspect the total would be well under 250B. It would be a mix and match special though I suspect that all the individual items would be better as a result. For 250-350B there are buffet BBQ places (Thai and farang) that do all the food on that plate, plus a whole lot more. If you can accept smaller prawns the price goes down to 200B. Push the boat out and for 500-600B you can have a whole lot more.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback so far. The accent of my post was on taste rather then price which I only quoted for info. Still, it should be within reason.

Firstly, the presentation i.e all in one. Secondly, the taste for Western palates including garlick sauce and spicy sauce ( non smelly!). Last but not least, butterly cut grilled prawns which I also never have come across here.

Whether yellow rice and chips on the side is PC is secondary to me - the main dish was the attraction.

I know there are many restaurants here where you can mix and match the items but you will not get the taste. Buffets ( moo gata's) are ok to have yourself a seafood orgy but what do you spice it with and what to have on the side besides white steamed rice?

Coming back to the price, perhaps some very upmarket restaurants in Pattaya would be willing to tailormake something simular but the cost would be unacceptable.

instead of boiled plain rice or yellow rice, you can side your dishes with a tasty "khao pad boo" or a "khao pad thalae" ! Also, a good seafood place will serve a nice, up to western taste "crab cake" - " toord maan gung" . . . it's breaded crab meat, almost always served with a sweet honey-like sauce.

I find these two the best Thai side dishes when you are looking for a bit of western taste.

Then, the main course of course can get a bit twacky . . .yet, deep fried fish or a grilled prawn of the larger types , you gotta like it.

I like all seafoods fried style more than the boiled ones . . .mostly like you . . .just order them in the way you like them

I agree with you that in some places, the preparation of seafood is sub-standard, like you said the squid is not completely cleaned out or you will have to crack open the prawn yourself instead of getting them served butterfly style. And then there being no napkins at the tables after you fiddled with the shells can be a real thumbs down . .

Edited by crazygreg44

Maybe the OP would like to try Je Tum in Jomtien. Communicating what you want will be a struggle

(even in Thai), but they are very willing and eventually they will probably come up with what you asked

for. Give them a try. Very fresh product, not cheap but you get what you pay for.

What on earth is yellow rice? Saffron- I doubt it not really used in this part of the world. Maybe some turmeric, is it a bit like an Indian rice- a mystery.

There is some good seafood to be had in Pattaya, and personally I like the local sauces- sharp and hot, however this is a not a cheap city and sometimes you have to pay Western prices.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

What on earth is yellow rice? Saffron- I doubt it not really used in this part of the world. Maybe some turmeric, is it a bit like an Indian rice- a mystery.

Nice curried chicken and yellow rice to be had every evening on the corner of Tai and Soi Buakow, for about 35B. They do a roaring trade.