Rice farmers now reliant on 'low' market prices

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Thai rice farmer's dream:

"I still have a dream, a dream deeply rooted in the farmer's dream – one day the price of rice will rise up again and clear all my debts and make me rich..."

Meanwhile...it's the taxpayers' nightmare...whistling.gif

Thanks to one man!

• Like 2

I make the market price a little higher in Vietnam, strange nobody here now accusing the millers and middlemen of taking a profit..........there appears to be fair old margin for these guys, and I got the impression some Tvisa posters believed the margin was sole creation of the rice subsidy scheme!

Cut out the crocodile tears and the pathetic political posturing guys, remember those calling for the subsidy to be scrapped due to the tax burden, remember those calling for 'market price', well don't pretend to pity the farmers because you now have your visions realised

And another small point, if as stated by many on this forum there was no benefit to the farmer from the rice subsidy..........having to accept 'market price' will not make any difference to their income......right guys?

Anyway a good time to expand smile.png

Talking rice blues

I woke up the other day looked at my rice and said hey.

It’s ready to harvest and thought what I should do to get my pay.

Well I aint in this bonus scheme so all I get is the market rate.

I’m standing there thinking this when along comes a guy and says Hi.

Hi says I and he says wait I can get you over the odds it aint no lie.

I’m no fool and told him so.

But he said no so let’s just go.

So we cut the rice then head off to the Millers place.

We got there and I’m looking at the farmers.

They all standing about waving papers and looking keen.

With stamps and seals and other stuff its quite a scene.

Well we weigh my rice and then were down the road.

We stop where we aint seen and count the money and I get my pay.

Its 3 Baht over the market rate so I aint complaining.

Before I leave I look back and see the miller counting.

The guy who cut my rice gets his share.

But I don’t care.

I can feed my family pay my bills

Going back home I see the farmers, what a bunch..

I’ve got my money but you’re gonna feel the crunch.

• Like 1

Talking rice blues

Before I leave I look back and see the miller counting

But I don’t care.

• Like 1

Talking rice blues

Before I leave I look back and see the miller counting

But I don’t care.

As to the quality of your skills as a “songwriter” – ever considered a career in fruitcarving?

• Like 2

There market price will be lower as they have been planting low quality rice which matures in 90 days as opposed to 120, lower price for crappy rice. No reds here defending a scam or promoting Yingluck Rice

• Like 1

Moreover, the price of rice would continue to decrease as the government now holds more than 18 million tonnes in its stockpiles, he claimed.

Good work Yingluck! Has your brother given you any ideas as to how the country gets out of this mess?

• Like 1

hows your master in Dubai now !...still the demigod you all made him LOLcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Probably one of the nastiest posts I have seen for a while (That was not mine)

Rice farmers are not the most educated people in the world and many will go buy whats said by the "educated" on TV, radio and other media.

Have you ever been kicked in the guts when your down and your family is suffering? blink.png

Better get half price than no payment.

Try to explain this to a Thai. The philosophy here is: if a restaurant loses 50 % of its customers, the remaining has to pay double to secure the revenue.

Its the same when, for example a train service loses money (because it is expensive) - what do they do to try and recover the losses? Put the prices up!!!! Doh!!

hows your master in Dubai now !...still the demigod you all made him LOLcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I'm afraid that he still is, because he promise them double that price, the fact that he actually doesn't pay them is another card in his favor, because he will blame that on the opposition.

He isn't a demigod, he's the devil in disguise.

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 2

Moreover, the price of rice would continue to decrease as the government now holds more than 18 million tonnes in its stockpiles, he claimed.

Good work Yingluck! Has your brother given you any ideas as to how the country gets out of this mess?

Oddly enough, it's been 'All Quiet On The Middle-Eastern Front', since before the scheme started to fall apart so publicly, several months ago. wink.png

No doubt there are still fascinating opportunities in the African coal/gold/diamond-industries, to compensate for the reduced-opportunities in grain-futures as world prices fall in the face of over-supply, for the astute businessman ? whistling.gif

Meanwhile one hopes that, whatever new government emerges from the political mess, settling the previous-government's overdue-debts & establishing a more-modest/affordable less-corrupt/misguided rice-scheme will be high on their agenda. If only for the sake of the poor rice-farmers.

But with such a large overhang, of high-cost government-owned rice-stocks, there will still be plenty of grief to come yet. sad.png

• Like 1

I saw a remark by one of the farmers in another article that Yingluck's and the cabinet members's assets should be siezed and used to pay the farmers. Now that's a novel idea.

Instead of speaking of "low" prices, one should call it "normal" prices. Just take a look at the surrounding countries who deliver the same quality at half the (high) Thai price. Get realistic...

But other countries do not have the Shins running there rice trading system

The shake-out of the rice industry is now beginning, and it is going to be painful for many. Even the reasonably efficient farmers with larger crop areas will struggle in this market; less efficient will have to switch to other crops, abandon farming and sell up, or learn the hard way when a year's work returns a minimal profit or a loss.

If just a small portion of the money lost in the rice scam had been used to induce farmers away from rice farming this pain could have been reduced. Instead an economically insane policy has caused more to switch to the crop and others to invest heavily on new equipment, all in the aim of buying their votes. Well that worked once, but after what for many will be the worst year of the life for earning, there is little hope of voter loyalty IMHO.

Well Mick in the shake out the middlemen will still maintain their margin, there will be more migration to the cities, but the rural economy has grown, where rural areas have prospered farmers enthusiastically take up available alternative income opportunities created by the recent boost in the rural economy, these second jobs sit alongside the rice farm and assist in payment for machinery, secondary work necessitates the requirement to spend less time on the crops thus the production cost rises through machinery purchase or hire to free up available time, but the rice crop becomes secondary income

There will be incentives from future governments because they will not survive without supporting a now strong rural economy. However a non elected peoples council would have no worry about voters, The concern will be if the rural growth is allowed to slow, the opportunity for second jobs declines, and a future government, or peoples coucil leaves the small farmer to rot, at least PTP only have rotting rice, and angry tax payer, but a strong rural economy!

Many farmers have moved on and diversified I doubt this is known, or acknowledged, by those who are not closely involved but continue to spout on this forum

Voter loyalty? well you think the farmer is going to recall the 25% increase in the end price, and who delivered, I do Mick, especially now when the end price has plummeted, strange how many on these boards cannot even decipher human nature and the traits that lie within. I didn't notice a massive walk out by government employees refusing to their allocated wage increase as it may be considered vote buying! How long did they protest about the increase?

I think wind farming may be the next big thing..(Tvisa posters may offer valuable assistance here)...income for farmers, government subsidy for sure, opportunity for investors, big return for the country vs nuclear power.......has it all.....and farmers can grow a little subsistence crops alongside

Edited by 473geo