is your girlfriend addicted to her telephone?

navara

I once went for coffee with a Thai lady to talk about opening up a restaurant together (we also had a bit of a thing going on). Her phone constantly kept ringing and she would spend a long time chatting with each call. I asked her to tell them she will call back later as we were talking business, but she paid no attention. This was outside Ca-<deleted> (Big C) Pattaya. While she was talking on one of her calls I nodded to her that I was going to the toilet, instead I got two Baht bus taxis back to View Talay Jomtien which took about 40 mins. As I was walking into the building she called me to ask where I had gone, I told her I was at home in my condo....it took her 45 mins. to notice I wasn't there.

When ever anything similar happened after that with different ladies, I simply apologize to them for boring them and get up and leave. People can only treat you like s- - - if you allow them to.

Amazing. I had a similar experience with a so called (educated gal with car) working for a high end french baker in thailand. met her at an international restaurant / food show at impact. she was quite forward. we met for dinner and she spent 90 % of time on social phone calls with friends. in my opinion they do not do it intentionally to piss you off, they are literally not even aware they are doing anything socially incorrect. lack very elemental "awareness" not only in that but across the board often (exceptions duly noted)

Bingo. You're absolutely right...they are not doing it out of malice/intentionally. But for all their good qualities, one of Thais' worst qualities, IMHO, is that they utterly lack the capacity for empathy. I guess I should say MOST Thais (I dunno, 93% maybe?). It is virtually impossible for them to imagine themselves "in someone else's shoes". So no, they have absolutely no idea they're showing bad social form/being rude to the person they're with when they spend 90% of the time on the phone.

Empathizing generally and in particular with the Thais who have non-Thai speaking, foreign partners, these i-phones/tablets must be an absolute godsend; the older ones must think, 'how did I manage to stay in such relationships without one when all I really want to do is communicate with people who understand me and me them?!'

Edited by piersbeckett

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is she chatting with, her girl friends, Thai guys, farang ? My guess is all three but I could be wrong. Also I would think she is playing games and looking her Facebook.

Prior to getting my own iPhone I did not understand why people spend so many hours glued to their phones, now I understand. In my case I check my emails, read the news, check out TV, do my banking, look Facebook, chat on Line and many other things. If i want to know about anything i have instant access to the web to do my research. I do not play games which many of these girls Spend many hours a day doing. If I am totally bored I could spend 6 hours or more in a day on my phone.

I do however make it a point to avoid being on my phone when I am with someone as that is totally rude. I have no time for rude people !!!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I really need to ask...

You guessed all 3 "Who is she chatting with, her girl friends, Thai guys, farang ? My guess is all three but I could be wrong".... How did you get to that conclusion... (you left an escape clause afterwards I see...)

85% of the time a thai gf means a girl he picked up in a bar......no ifs ands or buts!

My wife has 5 sisters, and each has the usual smattering of children.

Many years ago, I got in to the habit of taking all the sisters, and all their children, to a nice landscaped restaurant close to where we live, every time they were all in the village (only a couple of times a year). We have had some really good times like this over the years. It's the perfect place for a large family dinner, lovely gardens, big natural fish pond, tables to fit 12+ people. The food is great, and the kids play in the garden.

In November last year, everyone was back home for a wedding, so I rounded up the sisters and the children and took them off to the usual restaurant.

I then sat for 3 hours watching the fish in the pond, as my wife and her sisters sat with their noses in their phones. Even the kids were huddled around a couple of tablets.

I told them all afterwards, its the last time I take them.