Electrical Outlet With Built-in USB Ports

Silurian

Has anybody seen a place in Bangkok that sells electrical outlets with built-in USB ports?

I would like to install them in a few key places around the house. I hate to keep buying those small chargers that always seem to burn out anyway.

usb-outlet-0214-mdn.jpg

I wonder if the transformer inside that socket will last any longer than the cheap chargers do? It's probably the same thing inside, and that socket will presumably cost a lot more to replace if needed.

Also there doesnt seem to be an on/off switch, so you may be wasting electricity 24/7.

I would be inclined to buy some better quality chargers that wont burn out so often.

BEWARE: We had an "electrician"???? provide and install all new 3-Pin Power Points throughout our house.

They even had an OFF and ON Switch and.....a little Blue Light that came on when the power was turned ON.

We thought they were great.....for a couple of months, then the OFF/ON switches broke and fell out of the units and a couple started Smoking....definite Health Hazard!

Of course we called the Electrician,,, many times over a month or two but then gave up, went and bought another brand, With Switches but no Blue Lights. Our Builder installed them and so far, so good, six months down the track.

Maybe consider something like this and avoid messing with wiring.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-BZ103050-TVL/

I like these because you can stick them on an extension cord. Of course, no guarantee the quality of the components will be any better than those crap chargers that burn out in a few weeks. In SEA chances are better than not that the brand name is a forgery.

The problem I found with the Belkin is it doesn't fit all regular power plugs. What I did with mine was to add three of those 40 baht usb power plugs you see everywhere now so it can charge 5 usb items at once but when I bought it I wanted to use a combination of regular plugs and usb.

For around half the price (about 500 baht) I got one of these full size boards by Huntkey. Three standard plugs + 2 USB. Outlets have individual power on/off switches as well.

huntkeypowerstrip._huntkey-power-your-dr

Edited by kkerry

Tarad / Charnchai have stock according to their website http://eseresu.tarad.com/product-th-1008143-5435007-Haco+Deco+%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%84%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2+++W8201USB+%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B2+%E0%B8%BF850.00+THB+%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%95%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9A+USB.html?lang=en

Not exactly cheap @ 850 Baht a pop, I'll attempt to order a couple later today.

The other parts of the Deco range (plates, switches etc.) are available from the major outlets (Homepro etc.).

EDIT Successful order (at least according to the Tarad website), paid with PayPal (Thai account).