712 million Baht to be paid to 3,900 rice growers

webfact

712 million Baht to be paid to 3,900 rice growers

PNEVN570301001000101_01032014_114012.jpg

BANGKOK, 1 March 2014 (NNT) – The rice pledging scheme time frame cannot be extended after its last day on Friday as this would be in violation of the charter, according to the Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Bunsongphaisan.

The minister, also confirmed that the government has received an official reply from the Election Commission approving the use of 712 million baht from the central budget to pay rice farmers who still have not received their money for the 2012/2013 production season; the farmers were supposed to have been paid in September. He said that over the next week, this group of 3,900 rice growers in five provinces will receive their money in full.

Regarding the government's request for the EC to approve the use of 20 billion baht from the central budget to pay rice growers who were still waiting for their money under the rice pledging scheme, Mr. Niwatthamrong said the initiative was not considered a new debt burden for the government, as the money would be temporarily borrowed from the budget while the Finance Ministry procured loans.

He added that the rice pledging period for the 2013/2014 season can''t be extended because according to Article 181 of the charter, the interim government cannot create new debt burdens for an incoming administration.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-01 footer_n.gif

He added that the rice pledging period for the 2013/2014 season can''t be extended because according to Article 181 of the charter, the interim government cannot create new debt burdens for an incoming administration.

Meaning, the next administration will have to shoulder any complaints from displeased farmers.

I admire his confidence that he isn't going to be in the next administration.

• Like 1

At 15.000 Baht per Tonne that amount translates to 12 Tonne per each of the 3900 farmers.

Am I mistaken if that is only a very small part of what they really pledged to government from their last harvest.

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 1

Headlines it may be.

But despite all the news about scratching around for money, I don't see that much more than a few percent has been found

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This move may be seen to boost the Pheu Thai Party's popularity in the electorate which is a no no under the law for a caretaker government to do. Will be interesting to see if this is raised by the opposition.

The sea change here is that the administration is finally acknowledging the constitutional restrictions that they are under.

It is abundantly clear that the government never budgeted to pay the farmers. They are "borrowing" from the Central approved budget, approved for other reasons, to now be able to pay the farmers that they highlighted in their main populist policies. If the farming segment really meant something to the PTP, they would have already had a separate, approved budget in place.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

At 15.000 Baht per Tonne that amount translates to 12 Tonne per each of the 3900 farmers.

Am I mistaken if that is only a very small part of what they really pledged to government from their last harvest.

These 3,900 farmers are the ones that were coming to Suavanabhumi last weekend then turned around.

In another article it actual names the farmers to be paid are from the 5 same provinces as these very farmers.

Come on farmers... If you want paid, I can give you directions to the airport.

The EC will not agree to the 20BN baht. They are waiting on next week when the 30 day limit expires and this Caretaker Government and YL can be disassembled under article 7 of the constitution.

Then an interim cabinet and PM set up that will not be allowed to run in future next election. Which means they won't need to seek loan approval from the EC.

The farmers will all be paid out then. They will then link that with the fact PTP in power, no money... interim government in power.... gets money.

PTP will then be a thing of the past.

• Like 1

Some of the farmers in and around my village have been paid this week.

It has not been done under you gave the rice first so you get paid. It is who you know. Nothing unusual about that in Thailand.

Some of the villagers have taken out the Bank official, responsible for payments, for food and drink and hey presto jumped the queque and got paid.

Apparently so I have been told, In the local Farmer's bank, there is a list of farmer's names stating when they are going to be paid. Some this month and the rest in April.

Seems logical as they can't all be paid at the same time as there would not be enough staff in the bank to cope with the hunderds of claimants.

However will there be enough money to pay out? Vey doubtful. Time will tell.

dam_n, that will solve all the countries problems, and all the farmers will have their money by the end of this week.

Hosanna for this government……..

Didn't Yingluck "vow" the farmers would be paid last week?

Ahh, of course just another ethical white lie to make them feel better. What a clever old caretaker PM/DM she is.

They are going to pay 3,900 farmers out of the many million rice farmers. That should be well accepted, right? Will there be another tractor march very soon?

712 million is about 1/2% of the 130 BILLION baht owed to the farmers. That is an average of 182,000 baht to those few who are to be paid. Only 99.5% more to go for the 129,288,000,000 more baht needed now.

The government didn't say exactly which funds were plundered to provide the 712 million baht.

To put it into perspective, the farmers get 712 million and Thaksin boasts to Forbes that his govt sent him 30,000 million to his offshore accounts. The farmers must really love the guy to put up with these sort of shenanigans.

I would love to see the Forbes article. Please message me. I want to shove it in someone's face

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I hope the farmers now know that if something sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

And farmers in the south were rogered too. My guess is that they are not too sympathetic to the rice growers' plight

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They are going to pay 3,900 farmers out of the many million rice farmers. That should be well accepted, right? Will there be another tractor march very soon?

712 million is about 1/2% of the 130 BILLION baht owed to the farmers. That is an average of 182,000 baht to those few who are to be paid. Only 99.5% more to go for the 129,288,000,000 more baht needed now.

The government didn't say exactly which funds were plundered to provide the 712 million baht.

To put it into perspective, the farmers get 712 million and Thaksin boasts to Forbes that his govt sent him 30,000 million to his offshore accounts. The farmers must really love the guy to put up with these sort of shenanigans.

I would love to see the Forbes article. Please message me. I want to shove it in someone's face

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Here it is:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timferguson/2012/10/30/qa-thaksin-sits-down-with-forbes/

Enjoy your face-shoving.

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 1

I can sum up my reaction to the Forbes article and Taksin in a single word:

Nauseating

Illuminating might be better and I wonder how many Thais are aware of the way things are?

Really... where's the article/proof?