Bangkok: People urged to reserve tap water for use during salt water incursion

webfact

People urged to reserve tap water for use during salt water incursion

PNSOC570301001000101_01032014_124817.jpg

BANGKOK, 1 March 2014 (NNT) – The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority is asking the public to store reserves of water before periods of high sea level between March 3-4 and March 9-10 hinders tap water production.

According to the agency, efforts by the Irrigation Department to release more water into the Chao Phraya River to facilitate tap water production and maintenance of the freshwater ecosystem does not guarantee that tap water quality will not be affected during the periods of salt water incursion. People in Bangkok are advised to reserve tap water before the aforementioned periods of high sea level.

Irrigation Department chief Prathom Maiklat on Friday expressed concern over salt water incursion and high sea level, as 15 provinces have already been declared drought-afflicted. He revealed that the salinity reading was currently 5 grams per liter, which exceeded standard.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-01 footer_n.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Will the water companies be disconnecting supply or at least announcing when the salinity becomes excessive?

Don't want to pollute our stored supply.

just buy Bottle (mineral water) until such time that its ALL CLEAR.

I am sure a phone call (or personal visit) to your local water plant will tell you precise details.

I once visited the Water Plant (near to Chatuchak) during teh floods (a few years ago)... I wanted to see if there was any flooding in the canals and plant (as I shower from this water).. I was given a really cool tour of the plant and a manager answered pretty much ALL my questions... (from the French building it over 100 years ago,, to How the clean the water,, and how its stored and distributed). I left the compound feeling really good. it was not affected by floods and its a good water plant.

- it gave Peace of Mind :)

if you are using a WATER FILTER at home, then it will not filter-out salt.

I believe that a steam-distillation water filter will do this job????

so,, its best to buy bottle water (for drinking) until such time.

as for your shower, the extra salt isnt gonna be a terrible thing...

if you are paranoid about it, then have a few large (cheap) bottles of bottles of water in your shower to give yourself a final rinse after showering.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Will the water companies be disconnecting supply or at least announcing when the salinity becomes excessive?

I am sure a phone call (or personal visit) to your local water plant will tell you precise details.

I once visited the Water Plant (near to Chatuchak) during teh floods (a few years ago)... I wanted to see if there was any flooding in the canals and plant (as I shower from this water).. I was given a really cool tour of the plant and a manager answered pretty much ALL my questions... (from the French building it over 100 years ago,, to How the clean the water,, and how its stored and distributed). I left the compound feeling really good. it was not affected by floods and its a good water plant.

- it gave Peace of Mind smile.png

if you are paranoid about it, then have a few large (cheap) bottles of bottles of water in your shower to give yourself a final rinse after showering.

Please don't ask people to buy bottled water. It's one of the world's biggest sources of pollutants and as the quick facts show you here http://thewaterproject.org/bottled_water_wasteful.asp a terrible waste of energy and oil to boot.

Simply invest in a water purification system - from Bht1,500 (the candle type) to Bht7,000 for the full kit. And you can pack it up and take it with you - but your plastic water bottles will be around for hundreds if not thousands of years.

If your filter uses ion exchange resin it will filter out salt,... but it will have a rapidly depleting effect on the resin necessitating early replacement.

The Pollution control board has a web site that gives water quality readings from the automated samplers in some of the water treatment plants, one of the reported data is salinity.

http://58.137.231.37/wqm/GGW/ That is specific to water treatment reporting.

http://www.pcd.go.th/indexEng.cfm That is an overview of the reports available

http://www.arcims.tmd.go.th/DailyDATA/ That is specific to meteorological data

http://www.pcd.go.th/airquality/regional/Graph/createaqi2.cfm That is specific to air quality index

http://cpd.bangkok.go.th/eng-map2.html That is city planning map, fwiw.

Please don't ask people to buy bottled water. It's one of the world's biggest sources of pollutants and as the quick facts show you here http://thewaterproject.org/bottled_water_wasteful.asp a terrible waste of energy and oil to boot.

Simply invest in a water purification system - from Bht1,500 (the candle type) to Bht7,000 for the full kit. And you can pack it up and take it with you - but your plastic water bottles will be around for hundreds if not thousands of years.

yes, I completely agree that BOTTLE WATER is a shameful waste of plastic.

BUT,,, as I mentioned in the post,,, WATER FILTER SYSTEMS DO NOT REMOVE SALT FROM WATER.

so,, a water filter system would be useless to anyone trying to combat the excessive saline (relating to this news story).

and I dont think you can get water distilling filters for as low as 1500 baht. I guess they must start at around 4000 baht (if you can find one at all in thailand).

for the couple of weeks, i dont think that the bottle water (plastic issue) is gonna be huge.

quite often we i see people doing different things with the left and right hands.

i dont know you personally,, but it may be possible to assume that while you wanna be a good person and care about the PLANET and reduce the plastic usage.

its quite possible you also eating animals every day which have been 'pretty much' murdered/killed for your stomach gratification pleasure.

so,, while caring to the planet,, you may be completely uncaring towards your fellow animals.

i hope it didnt come across as rude... (definitely not my intention),, i just want to point out that there are MANY evils in this world and its easy to criticize one (while unaware of doing another).

then again, with me not eating animals and you saving on plastic, then together we are helping the world (from different sides of the coin)

WATER FILTER SYSTEMS DO NOT REMOVE SALT FROM WATER.

so,, a water filter system would be useless to anyone trying to combat the excessive saline (relating to this news story).

Reverse-osmosis systems are available starting around 3000B and up to 5000B, and they do remove sodium. I installed one a couple weeks ago when I first started tasting the saltiness. Now my water is potable again.

• Like 2

- it gave Peace of Mind smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

I'd love to see this 1500 baht system you talk about if you have info please

Oz

I have received an email from the building managers in BKK saying to expect some short water cuts during those days.

Minimal storage (basic for toilets and that kind of needs) is recommended, drinking water as usual from bottles, not a big deal, it seems.

honestly, who cares about plastic bags & bottles, where your neighbours are burning them and everybody is enjoyin the toxic pollution ? you can be as green as you want, pollutants are for everybody, in the air, the water, your food

I think it was made clear above but just in case, reverse osmosis filters remove dissolved salts and other minerals, sodium, potassium , calcium, magnesium etc. A good RO system, with a prefilter for particulate and sediment and a charcoal filter for smells and organic components will produce pure water (0-40 ppm) from water containing the 5000 ppm water mentioned above.

Viri and radioactivity and some poisons are about the only things it won't remove. It will turn urine into potable water.

Single stage carbon or charcoal filters will remove sediment, ordors and some objectionable tastes but do noting to remove dissolved salts.

The problem with drinking water with 5g/L sodium chloride is if you drink 1L of water a day you're getting over twice the recommended sodium just in your water and will raise your blood pressure and can cause other health problems.

• Like 2

Does this mean I don't need to chlorinate my swimming pool this month?

I don't know, but if you have to ask ... It sounds like you already have a ready-made, tap water reserve, though.

I have always avoided tap water for drinking at the advice of my (relatively) informed dentist and use the osmosis machines in my apartment to refill 1.5 litre water bottles (16-20) that I bought originally at the market. So they're cluttering up just my apartment rather than the entire planet. I try to keep them full as an emergency drinking water supply. I use tap water only for washing dishes/clothes and showering so a little salinity doesn't seem like it would be disastrous.

I give my (other) empty plastic bottles to the needy, old woman at the desk and I assume she gets paid for them by the recyclers.

I do have doubts about the efficacy of the osmosis machines and it does cost 1 baht/litre, but have somehow survived healthily in spite of them (and the other, much more serious, unhealthy habits I have).

A reverse osmosis filtration system does stop virus: figure it out what it does with salt.

A reverse Osmosis changes Salt to Sugar

wink.png

Congratulations!! You won the 2014 Annual Reward As "The Stupidest Statement of The Year".

And the "Stupidest hemorrhoidal reaction to a harmless joke" goes to... tongue.png
  • Like 2

A reverse osmosis filtration system does stop virus: figure it out what it does with salt.

A reverse Osmosis changes Salt to Sugar

wink.png

Congratulations!! You won the 2014 Annual Reward As "The Stupidest Statement of The Year".

And the "Stupidest hemorrhoidal reaction to a harmless joke" goes to... tongue.png

....you cheesy.gif

That idea of moving the capital to Chiang Mai doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

Just joking, Chiang Mai has been on a reckless building frenzy, putting up condos and houses without improving overstressed roads and utilities. Its own water crisis isn't too far away.

I don't see what the fuss is about as I cant understand the original article, these news reporters are too brief.

People drink water from the Chao Phraya?

Surely there's more excrement and deadly chemicals in that river than there is water.