Where Should We Get Hitched?

MissAnge

Hello all,

my lovely other half and I are engaged and plan to marry toward the end of next year (the cool season I think). My folks back in Aus are hoping that we come up with some decisions regarding the reception, ceremony etc.

I (or I guess I should say we!) have been thinking about an outdoor gig in either Kanchanaburi or Chiang Mai (we both prefer these regions to the beach) and I thought I would just ask around TV to see if anyone has come across any great wedding/reception locations in the LOS....

also, just out of interest (and I am speaking to those mainly who are married to a Thai, or who are Thai married to a farang) what style of wedding did you opt for?

Cheers

Marriage in the Amphur :o Sorry. But when my husband and I discussed a traditional marriage it turned out it would be a minimum of 1000 people attending and would require my parents to fly out from the US. I knew I couldn't handle over 1000 people all coming to have a peek at me.

If your husband is Thai he will most likely want to marry in his hometown, with all of his relatives there

We went through the traditional ceremony at my wife's hometown, Khon Kaen, starting before 4am and eventually finishing some time after midnight. Monks blessing, Brahmin blessing, HUGE reception in one of the big hotels with, it seemed, everybody who was anybody present... Exhausting, but realy worthwhile to go through the ordeal. I strongly reccommend you try to arrange something similar, because you will truly become recognised as "part of the family" thereafter.

Try to live somewhere else though! Close family are great, but not necessarily where constant proximity is concerned!

hi sbk, he is Thai, but most of his relatives have passed away... it would be a small wedding, we've made a list of 60 incl my family from home... i just thought that reception costs would be more affordable out here and it would mean that i could keep my list down to only those few that i really want to come.... but the more I think about it, the more I want to just head off for the weekend and come back married.... is it selfish to have a wedding just so you get a truck load of presents?! :o

hi sbk, he is Thai, but most of his relatives have passed away... it would be a small wedding, we've made a list of 60 incl my family from home... i just thought that reception costs would be more affordable out here and it would mean that i could keep my list down to only those few that i really want to come.... but the more I think about it, the more I want to just head off for the weekend and come back married.... is it selfish to have a wedding just so you get a truck load of presents?! :D

Even if he has little family, it would be normal for most of the village to come. We had about 12 friends and family (of mine) from overseas, and about 350 local family and friends (perhaps a quarter of whom I knew or recognised :o ).

But, hey, it's your day, so do whatever you want. I know our village have very warmly accepted me into the village, and the wedding I think is a part of that.

Have a great time whatever you do. :D

My b/f's brother became a monk recently and the whole village (plus neighbouring villages it seemed) turned up for the party for the night before ... hundreds of people there - the great majority my b/f didn't even recocnise! If you do get married in your b/f's village there probably will be lots of hanger-ons turning up.

You didn't actually say that either of these places were actually where his home town is, anyhow, but if you were thinking of having something at is hometown, what about having an engagement ceremony there. I got engaged quite a few years ago now (but never got round to the getting married bit!) and the ceremony was really nice. Started at something like 8.02pm (the monks set the time) and didn't last long. Mostly involved having the white string tied around our wrists and recieving gifts of money!!! (Which, unfortunately, my boyfriend decided to give straight back to his parents - fair enough I guess as they'd paid for the party afterwards and the ring!).

As far as Kanchanaburi goes, what about an outdoor ceremony at Erawan falls - would make for fantastic wedding photos!!

Im getting married at the end of this year in December.

Im having a wedding here in Oz and one in bangkok.

Im doing it my way here and she is doing it her way there. It makes both parties happy and atleast all your friend and her friends can enjoy it.

Ive never really looked into what is involved in a Thai wedding, I assume its nearly the same as what mine will be apart from a few monks in the room saying things

Hello all,

my lovely other half and I are engaged and plan to marry toward the end of next year (the cool season I think). My folks back in Aus are hoping that we come up with some decisions regarding the reception, ceremony etc.

I (or I guess I should say we!) have been thinking about an outdoor gig in either Kanchanaburi or Chiang Mai (we both prefer these regions to the beach) and I thought I would just ask around TV to see if anyone has come across any great wedding/reception locations in the LOS....

also, just out of interest (and I am speaking to those mainly who are married to a Thai, or who are Thai married to a farang) what style of wedding did you opt for?

Cheers

:D

Kan for sure, as it is closer to Bangkok and a great place to relax and have fun and it is cool here at that time as well.

Reception Kan be on a raft with soft or LOUD music, up to you, food O.K. prices = easy on ones pocket BTW.

Hotels good ones that is, a wee bit out of the center of town, which are very romatic in the evening.

Down-side is normally fully booked at week-ends so make it during the week as they are mostly empty and you have the place to yourselves.

Most of all you should have fun and enjoyment during your honeymoon and in Kan you Kan. :o

The peace and quite in the evening outside the town is so nice by the river, hence I live there.

As far as Kanchanaburi goes, what about an outdoor ceremony at Erawan falls - would make for fantastic wedding photos!!

This one would make a better one and you Kan drive to there and not walk too far.

large.jpg

Happy Days :D

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win © :D

Edited by Kan Win

My b/f's brother became a monk recently and the whole village (plus neighbouring villages it seemed) turned up for the party for the night before ... hundreds of people there - the great majority my b/f didn't even recocnise! If you do get married in your b/f's village there probably will be lots of hanger-ons turning up.

You didn't actually say that either of these places were actually where his home town is, anyhow, but if you were thinking of having something at is hometown, what about having an engagement ceremony there. I got engaged quite a few years ago now (but never got round to the getting married bit!) and the ceremony was really nice. Started at something like 8.02pm (the monks set the time) and didn't last long. Mostly involved having the white string tied around our wrists and recieving gifts of money!!! (Which, unfortunately, my boyfriend decided to give straight back to his parents - fair enough I guess as they'd paid for the party afterwards and the ring!).

Sylvafern I doubt they were hangers on, I've never been to a wedding where uninvited guests showed up. Most likely, his family invited the entire village. When my nephew got married his father invited everyone he knew, his mother invited everyone she knew and he invited everyone he knew. And that goes the same for the bride. Hence, the more than 1500 people at his wedding :o

Im getting married at the end of this year in December.

Im having a wedding here in Oz and one in bangkok.

Im doing it my way here and she is doing it her way there. It makes both parties happy and atleast all your friend and her friends can enjoy it.

Ive never really looked into what is involved in a Thai wedding, I assume its nearly the same as what mine will be apart from a few monks in the room saying things

Donz, a Thai wedding is nothing like a western wedding and you had better do a forum search for a description or you will be in for a very big surprise!

One good thing about Thai weddings is that everyone gives money and usually the couple comes out ahead.

We were married at the Amphur, and we thought that we would have

a ceremony/celebration,

first we planned a ceremony at the little church in Nathon in Samui last December, but none of my side could come, the floods came so we needed to be on the farm anyway :o

so then we thought something on the beach near our home, but both my husband I didn't want 1000 people showing up, :D

and now we have been married for almost a year and we have pretty much decided that a ceremony isn't necessary since what really counts is that we love each other. :D

Sylvafern I doubt they were hangers on, I've never been to a wedding where uninvited guests showed up. Most likely, his family invited the entire village. When my nephew got married his father invited everyone he knew, his mother invited everyone she knew and he invited everyone he knew. And that goes the same for the bride. Hence, the more than 1500 people at his wedding :o

Absolutely agree with SBK - everyone who came to ours had their invitation with them, and had put some money inside the envelope. They leave that in a box at the entrance (gate) with a couple of volunteers who sit at a table to receive them. Apparently you record who gave what, then know how much to give them when they get married. My wife explained that giving the money is a bit like a loan with no payback date, it just helps out with the expense when someone has a wedding or other major event.

If you do get married in your b/f's village there probably will be lots of hanger-ons turning up.

Sorry :o.... not a good choice of word .... probably better (?) to say lots of 'extras' that you wouldn't know.

If you're still thinking of Kanchanburi and were thinking of a hotel/resort location I'd recommend the Pavilion Hotel .... have stayed there twice when taking children from my school on residential trips. They have a separate wing from the main hotel which has it's own swimming pool and, as the name suggests, an outdoor Pavillion which is perfect for functions. We had around 80 kids there plus staff and ate all meals buffet style in the Pavillion and never once saw other guests who were staying in the other section of the resort.

cheers everyone for your thoughts and suggestions... i do like the idea of the pavillion hotel in Kanch, we've stayed there before, also on a school camp. Although the close proximity of the river would probably mean that my fiance would head out for fishing only moments after he became my husband!! we might head over to kanchanaburi rent a car and just check out the options...