Where does one register for paperless customs?

cocopops

Hi,

Has anyone had to register for "paperless customs" in Chiang Mai? Where do you go? The place out by immigration?

The background is that I ordered something through the "eBay global shipping" program that turned out to be worth roughly 40001 Baht. And, as I have learned, anything over 40000 Baht requires a different customs procedure. One has to register for "paperless customs" According to Fedex (the courier selected by eBay), the usual procedure is to mail your original passport to them in Bangkok, to be returned along with your goods after they clear customs. As I have an appointment with immigration in about a week and was reluctant to send my original passport by mail, the Fedex guy suggested "you can take the documents we sent you and register in person at Chiang Mai customs".

So, does anybody know where I should go?

Thanks all,
Cocopops.

I dont believe a individual can do Ecustoms. I believe you will need a vat registered company if you want but then i can assure you the cost will be far to high... I would have thought fedex should be able to handle this door to door.

Thinking about this they may be correct for air freight. You would need to go to the air cargo terminal at the airport as the office is there.

Edited by yankee99
  • Like 2

A couple of years ago, I shipped a very large box of stuff that I bought in the USA to Bangkok via FEDEX. When it arrived, I was contacted via email by a customs official who spoke (wrote) reasonable English. She asked some questions about the inventory list and then sent me a bill in a day or two which I had to pay. Minimum hassle. Wouldn't have used FEDEX, but the US had made the postal customs process far more complicated and I didn't have time to fill in the forms for a number of boxes so I sent in one FEDEX shipment. The US has stupidly played into the hands of Thai customs who can charge arbitrary and high duties on a whim. Fortunately, I got a fair official so wasn't nicked too badly.

I dont believe a individual can do Ecustoms. I believe you will need a vat registered company if you want but then i can assure you the cost will be far to high... I would have thought fedex should be able to handle this door to door.

Thinking about this they may be correct for air freight. You would need to go to the air cargo terminal at the airport as the office is there.

Quite correct. Turns out I had to go to the second floor of the cargo terminal (big building next to the international side of the passenger terminal).

Thanks for the answer. Saved me a trip to the wrong place!

Send your parcel ? Crazy !

Anyway what you are talking about does not exist.

$30 or $300 the process is the same and you pay customs duty to courier company that you should not have used at the first time if you had read this forum.

Paperless Customs does exist and as far as I can recall it is only available to BOI approved companies.

Send your parcel ? Crazy !

Anyway what you are talking about does not exist.

$30 or $300 the process is the same and you pay customs duty to courier company that you should not have used at the first time if you had read this forum.

Paperless Customs does exist and as far as I can recall it is only available to BOI approved companies.

BOI is not needed!

I have personally completed the paperless customs registration procedure at Laem Chabang, Chonburi.

The registration procedure required what seemed like a never ending pile of my Ltd Co registration forms, tax receipts and other finance ministry reports.

Then during subsequent days, as the application processed through higher officials, even more paperwork was requested, plus bank statements showing a pile of cash, etc etc until all the peaked hats were finally happy.

BOI registration was not required, and in light of all the Ltd Company paperwork requested I think that it is safe to assume that personal registration for Paperless customs clearance seems unlikely.

All communications with the Thai official were in Thai language - The eClearance application office was on the second floor of the main customs building at Laem Chabang port.

In view of how complex and time consuming the application process was (the above procedure registered us for just one shipping company, and much of the procedure had to be repeated again for each shipping agent we added to our approved paperless customs shipping list) ... at the time when we registered less than 500 Ltd Co had bothered to complete the registration process for the whole of Thailand.

On a bright side, shipments from DHL, FEDEX, UPS, TNT, etc now get delivered straight to our factory gate with minimum hassle - whereas before, we had to waste time sending our staff to the airport of shipping port office to process import documentation and pay tax before shipments were released, which was a major pain in the ass.facepalm.gif

• Like 1

"According to Fedex (the courier selected by eBay)"

Almost always a mistake to use FEDEX or UPS or DHL. In their attempt to appear to comply with every law known to mankind and to be as PC as possible, you will definitely end up paying customs duty on anything and everything ... or at least they'll be sure you pay them for it.

You are absolutely right. And they will charge a fee for clearing it through Customs. Last time DHL made a mistake which caused considerable trouble and delay. In spite of the fact that it was clearly their error, they tried to charge me a storage fee for the delay. Except for documents, I will never use one of the express companies.

• Like 1

I have personally completed the paperless customs registration procedure at Laem Chabang, Chonburi.

The registration procedure required what seemed like a never ending pile of my Ltd Co registration forms, tax receipts and other finance ministry reports.

Then during subsequent days, as the application processed through higher officials, even more paperwork was requested, plus bank statements showing a pile of cash, etc etc until all the peaked hats were finally happy.

BOI registration was not required, and in light of all the Ltd Company paperwork requested I think that it is safe to assume that personal registration for Paperless customs clearance seems unlikely.

All communications with the Thai official were in Thai language - The eClearance application office was on the second floor of the main customs building at Laem Chabang port.

In view of how complex and time consuming the application process was (the above procedure registered us for just one shipping company, and much of the procedure had to be repeated again for each shipping agent we added to our approved paperless customs shipping list) ... at the time when we registered less than 500 Ltd Co had bothered to complete the registration process for the whole of Thailand.

On a bright side, shipments from DHL, FEDEX, UPS, TNT, etc now get delivered straight to our factory gate with minimum hassle - whereas before, we had to waste time sending our staff to the airport of shipping port office to process import documentation and pay tax before shipments were released, which was a major pain in the ass.facepalm.gif

The registration the op has already done is not the same as being customs company registered at Laem Chabang. I know as i am registered personally at air cargo a Co,, Ltd with laem chabang.

The registration the op has already done is not the same as being customs company registered at Laem Chabang. I know as i am registered personally at air cargo a Co,, Ltd with laem chabang.

I'm not really sure what I've registered for.... Attached is the form I submitted. I cut out the bit with my name and address on it between the first two screenshots. Does anybody actually know what this form is? smile.png

Thanks!

post-49947-0-99697500-1394006865_thumb.p

post-49947-0-45159000-1394006879_thumb.p

post-49947-0-10583100-1394006892_thumb.p

Edited by cocopops