Canadian tourist plunges to death at Suvarnabhumi airport

webfact

When the mono leaves the chita anything can happen, RIP

This is why meditation is so important in our daily lives "so the monkey mind doesn't throw you off a four story building."

As far as making sense of some one taking there luggage with them to commit suicide, well it kind of speaks for itself,

if this person was dist rot enough to commit suicide then rationality is obviously not a consideration here hence the baggage accompaniment

I would have thought that those near the edge of departing our world have done a lot of meditating about stuff.

Meditating and contemplating are very different

Meditating is for calming the mind by the course of cessation there for alleviating contemplative notions of suicide and bringing equanimity

Of course this only occurs with daily practice

Like good Golf

Edited by hangerud

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is a nice set of golf clubs. One wonders why he packed all his stuff and went to the airport. Very sad and perplexing.

maybe, just maybe a spur of the moment decision.

Nobody can have that bad a round...tis only a game.

What is going on with spate of suicides of late? I know clinical depression is a killer though it seems to be on a daily basis. So sad for the codger and his family. If you're feeling down anybody, let someone know. In fact all your friends or even on TV. Their is a severe lack of help in Thailand for the I'll. Please reach out you will be surprised how many out here care.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think when they come to Thailand it's already too late. They are having 1 last blow out before saying the long goodnight. Any help should have been administered back in farang land.

That's my take on it anyway.

Fortunately, no one was injured, as there are benches below and people walking about. He could have quite easily killed or paralyzed some innocent bystanders. My sympathies and condolences to the people who were forced to witness this event, and to the local cleaning staff who had to clean up the mess.

These were my immediate thoughts. I've seen the aftermath of a suicide, and the effect it had on me and others. Depression is such an insidious thing. You can do all the 'things', that you are supposed to, and still it will sneak up on you, or worse be waiting for you when you wake up in the morning. I just hope that have the consideration to be a little more discrete about my exit, if I were ever to go this route.

Having recently witnessed what the end of my Father's life was like, and what life had been for the last 15 years since Moms death, I dread what age has in store for the majority of males in North America. Especially the single ones that could be deemed "extraneous". I don't know I'd want to live the last 10 years of my life entombed in an extended care facility ANYWHERE.

We will likely never know what drove this man to do what he did. I'm just glad the repercussions are somewhat contained

Another murder and a case of the baffled (paid off) keystone cops.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Don't be silly.............rolleyes.gif .............coffee1.gif

Sorry, no disrespect. There's been an idiot hammering on the above floor since 7am & in all consideration to the small sizes of these condos can only guess he just likes the sound the hammer makes. Going a bit bug shit!

No negative...go in peace.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Well. the " surplus to requirements" discussion is going on now in the UK, ie level of care and prioritization in health services provision. It is real , not a 1984 type plot. No doubt the discussion will take place in every country with ageing populations. One significant potential export earner for Thailand is the provision of aged care residential/medical services.

For anyone in a terminal situation and looking for a solution, there is always the Swiss solution: dignitas ( covered in the terry pratchett documentary..on youtube now). For very obvious reasons, they will not deal with people suffering from depression. It is a very challenging film to watch.

RIP. I hope his family have counselling and support at this difficult time.

Buddha: "how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you."

You have to walk the earth lightly and not take things too seriously, if you are to cope with the stress of life. Sometimes this is easily forgotten in the modern stressful world. Poor guy.

Yes RIP

Maybe the sentiments are good but this is not a Buddha quote at all but completely FAKE: "In the end only three things matter - how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you."

…….. all three things praised — loving, living gently, letting go — are things praised by the Buddha and surely that is what is important wai.gif

I don't know I'd want to live the last 10 years of my life entombed in an extended care facility ANYWHERE.

My father spent the last 8 years of his life in an extended care facility due to a stroke that kept him from caring for himself. He described it as the fraternity he never got to join as a kid- he went to college from home.

He had running buddies and poker games, and movie nights and weekly live (low budget) entertainment, and occasional shopping trips. He had an 80 year old girlfriend on another floor and constant visits from his kids and grandkids. He learned the interweb, and generally enjoyed his last years. He looked much happier there than he was alone at home after Mom died- and he actually combed his hair and dressed for supper.

It doesn't have to be gloom and doom, but it's a good idea to start planning for it long before you need it.

• Like 2

RIP. I hope his family have counselling and support at this difficult time.

Buddha: "how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you."

You have to walk the earth lightly and not take things too seriously, if you are to cope with the stress of life. Sometimes this is easily forgotten in the modern stressful world. Poor guy.

Yes RIP

Maybe the sentiments are good but this is not a Buddha quote at all but completely FAKE: "In the end only three things matter - how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you."

…….. all three things praised — loving, living gently, letting go — are things praised by the Buddha and surely that is what is important wai.gif

Really.............so what went wrong in LOS..?

Well. the " surplus to requirements" discussion is going on now in the UK, ie level of care and prioritization in health services provision. It is real , not a 1984 type plot. No doubt the discussion will take place in every country with ageing populations. One significant potential export earner for Thailand is the provision of aged care residential/medical services.

For anyone in a terminal situation and looking for a solution, there is always the Swiss solution: dignitas ( covered in the terry pratchett documentary..on youtube now). For very obvious reasons, they will not deal with people suffering from depression. It is a very challenging film to watch.

I agree. particularly the part where the poor old bastard asks for 'a glass of water' immediately after having ingested the drug that kills him whilst his wife, the medical staff and the odious Pratchett and his film crew look on.

That is a nice set of golf clubs. One wonders why he packed all his stuff and went to the airport. Very sad and perplexing.

maybe, just maybe a spur of the moment decision.

Apparently most of the jumpers from bridges in the US lock their cars before jumping.

Surely this is a perfectly normal anti-theft procedure.

What is the betting that there is some girl that he met here and he just thought he could not live without her ,so sad and as for the guy who said what is there waiting for a 64 year old guy back home ,life must be very sad for you if you think that there is no familly and friends at home for most people.

As you grow old. Family, and friends die. In todays world. Even good friends often move far away. After a few years. They often forget all about you. Then you also realize. That some people. That you thought were good friends. Were not really as good a friends. As you had thought. Sadly, some times when you work hard, and have success. Some people, who you also thought were friends, resent your success. Then they turn a little hostile towards you. A lot of people. What friends that they had, were at work. Then, at some point they retire. Most of these people, then don't care to keep in touch. In America. Once you reach a certain age. To a lot of people, You become, an invisible person. You can be wealthy, and experience all this. Many older men. Once they reach a certain age. Are essentially, never touched again, in even a rented caring, Human way. If you are wealthy, you have more options. But, if not. Then you can really be doomed to a lonely, last part of your life. Counting pennies, with limited options. To all this you can add. People who experience real Endogenous depression. At least in Thailand. An average middle class man. Can have some company. When he wants it, and can afford it. It may be rented. But, has a lot of value. To people. Who other wise . Feel, and are treated. As if they are invisible. Of course you should not loose touch with reality, and think a rental, is something it is not. Don't loose the plot!

Physical contact with another human has value, rented or not.

What is going on with spate of suicides of late? I know clinical depression is a killer though it seems to be on a daily basis. So sad for the codger and his family. If you're feeling down anybody, let someone know. In fact all your friends or even on TV. Their is a severe lack of help in Thailand for the I'll. Please reach out you will be surprised how many out here care.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As bad as it seems here to some.

What's waiting back home for a 64 year old guy? Bingo?

you clearly never have been to canada have you? thats where i am from. its cold as hell and expensive. i think this guy got a taste of a good life, and realized how shitty is back home

Terrible place, can't understand why it's always in the top 5 countries in the world, with a highly equipped health care system, where new born Canadian kids can enjoy life up to more than 81 years of age. Most Canadian's that finish up here are either for the cheap sex or pot-less in their own country.

potless?

every Canadian i know has excellent access to weed.

What is going on with spate of suicides of late?

What's waiting back home for a 64 year old guy? Bingo?

I can understand why a guy that age, with nothing to go back to, would want to end it all, but why do so many choose such a painful, unpleasant way to go?

That, I don't get.

Edited by Ulysses G.

That journey from your hotel to the airport can be one of the most depressing trips you will ever make, believe me i have done it a few times. your mind is in turmoil, thoughts are with his family.

sometimes, a good taxi driver is helping the situation.

R.I.P.

makes me remember a guy, first time in LOS, wrong hotel, sleepless nights near a karaoke, daytime alone in the hotelroom and speaking with the aircon,

Voices, I hear voices, voices, I hear ...(voices--russ ballard)

getting mentally sick, no contacts, shortend his trip after a week, made it to the airport, and fortunately made it to the plane too.

IMO, not everybody is ready, to spend his holiday alone, in LOS.

R.I.P old chap. I would wanna take a higher dive if it were me, wouldn't wanna leave it to chance from 4 floors.

Last year in Cambodia a 60yo guy, also Canadian, jumped from the 3rd floor of his guest house and was killed instantly. What made sure of it was that he plunged head first.

Edited by mike_rad

Ahh please, not another farang plunging to his death.

These pattern of suicides are becoming all too common in Thailand these days.

It is time that the embassies, consulates or charities set up some kind of help organisations to assist those that maybe suffering from depression and despair while living abroad.

My heartfelt sympathies go out to the families of these people, a most alarming and worrying state of affairs.

• Like 2

Im sorry but my sympathy is limited. Smashing into the ground with all the technicolour accompanyments in front of women, children or me, is a bit of a crime in my mind and must scar onlookers for life especially kids. It is a sad and private moment, find a private way.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Very Sad?

True!

Perplexing?

Also true!

So why would a guy pack all his stuff when he could have just left it their, get in a taxi, get off at the departure hall at the airport, then haul all of his stuff to the top floor arrival hall, while carrying his Golf Clubs, only to jump from their? When he could have very easily just gone straight to the top floor from the taxi or jumped without packing his bags.

First off, he changed his flight plans and decided to leave earlier. He was either compelled to go home earlier or to leave earlier, which obviously made him very sad. Perhaps someone close to him in his family passed away? Like perhaps his father? But at age 64 this is highly doubtful and if his father was still alive he would have expected that to happen anytime. I also think that if it was a son or daughter, this would compel him to get home as soon as possible, and not jump to complicate things and make them worst.

So I think it was something that compelled him to leave earlier. What comes to mind is a heated argument with his wife or G/F, and on the day he discovered he was played for as a fool, and taken advantage of, and now kicked out of the house he may have paid for. Or any other reason that ended this relationship. But this still doesn't explain why he would go through all the trouble of packing his bag and doing this at the airport.

I mean if that was me, and I was going to take the big plunge over discovering this, like my Thai Wife already had a husband and just used me to pay for everything, I would want to do that in front of my X and cause her some pain as well. A memory she would not forget! That is, if my young daughter wasn't their, as I wouldn't want her to see this and have this bad memory of me for the rest of her life.

So maybe that is one reason why he did not do it their. I wouldn't want to tell my X about my plan either, so she would not get all nervous and make a big crying and screaming issue in front of my daughter as well. So I would pack my bag and look like I was just going home quietly. I would figure my X would find out later anyway, but can still shield my daughter, as she doesn't have to tell her the truth right then.

But what I wouldn't do is get off at the departure hall, then carry all this crap up to the top floor, if it was premeditated and that I planned on jumping from their. I would just leave all my crap where it stood and go and do it. So I don't think he actually planned on jumping until the last moment. Perhaps when he discovered he was so sad and couldn't leave his daughter and X when he was supposed to go to the exit hall.

Perhaps he first went to the arrival hall to take a taxi back, but when he got their he realized it was useless begging to come back, and had no chance of ever coming back. Like I said. If I knew I was going to jump I certainly wouldn't carry all this crap to the top floor. I would just leave it where it was an go. So I personally don't think he knew he was going to jump until he got their, looked down, and then figured this was his best choice and course of action for him to take.

But is only my theory of mine with nothing at all to back any of this up. A Wild Guess at best! If he had a a loving family back home I guess the he couldn't face them. Maybe he felt foolish about what he did, perhaps giving up his life savings. Perhaps he was even warned about it, but Love Blinded him. He certainly would not be the first man, or only man here, who wasn't blinded by love once or more in our lives and then said later who foolish we were. But perhaps he also didn't have a loving family back home. Don't know that yet. But it is very perplexing for sure!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Still too cold in Canada to go back home......

On a more serious side, hope this kind of state of mind never reaches me...

R.I.P

I think that state of mind hits everyone at least once in their life. It I how you handle it that makes the difference.

We're having the worst winter that I can remember here in Canada and no end in sight. Today is March 3rd and it is supposed to go down to -29 Celsius. Tomorrow a daytime high of -11C and wind chill of -30C is predicted. Maybe the thought of returning to this shit hole was too much to much for him. I know I can't wait to get out of here.

Goldbuggy what drugs you on, utter - total ramblings, i guess i guess, theory ?? so dont bother posting," oh i think the poor guy might have slipped on a banana skin" well i guess . r.i.p. you have gone to a better place.

BTW- bit of uncorroborated hearsay- it's my understanding that 10 meters is the general limits of survivabilty from a fall.(from the iron workers at the steel mill.) Basically, anything over 2 stories, your chances of dying go up exponentially. I am sure there are exceptions and also stories of people not surviving a fall of only a meter or less.

True! The Industry requires a Harness to be worn to prevent injury from a fall at any height over 3 feet (1 Meter). This is because people have in fact died from a fall of this height.

Just hit your head the wrong way from a short fall or even a bathtub, and see what happens, if you are still around.

• Like 1

I don't know I'd want to live the last 10 years of my life entombed in an extended care facility ANYWHERE.

My father spent the last 8 years of his life in an extended care facility due to a stroke that kept him from caring for himself. He described it as the fraternity he never got to join as a kid- he went to college from home.

He had running buddies and poker games, and movie nights and weekly live (low budget) entertainment, and occasional shopping trips. He had an 80 year old girlfriend on another floor and constant visits from his kids and grandkids. He learned the interweb, and generally enjoyed his last years. He looked much happier there than he was alone at home after Mom died- and he actually combed his hair and dressed for supper.

It doesn't have to be gloom and doom, but it's a good idea to start planning for it long before you need it.

Your Dad had a 80 year old girlfriend?

Well, don't feel too bad. My Dad liked his women much younger than him to.