True 4G Coverage - post your locations

skippybangkok

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Loma - what's ur secret - where on earth do you find that. Obviously not on True Corp web

First time I see this, corresponds with what I have have said for a while that it's not just down town.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I see LTE/4G as having sparodic coverage across Phuket.

Condo in Phuket Town - yes.

Central Festival - yes and no.

Villa in Rawai - no.

Tesco in Rawai - yes.

And furthermore, I was never able to connect to an LTE network out here. Went to the True Move store in Central, explained I was a customer for years, and that I couldn't connect to their new network, and she gave me a look like I was 'reading poetry to a dog'.

Had the Mrs. do the explaining, and the responses were thus;

1. There is no 4G. 2. Ok there is, but they are only testing. Then 3. It is there, but it is Post-pay (contract only). Tried to refer her to her own website - she wasn't interested, she was too busy running mobile phone shop it would seem.

Went to the True Move counter in Big C, right away they said I needed an updated sim for LTE, took a copy of my passport, gave me a new sim, free of charge, and told me it would take a week to activate. And it did.

But so far, I've not yet successfully connected to an LTE tower...

I think you guys would be better posting screen shots of Speed Test results, so we can see it is actually an LTE network you are connected to. Or even the status screen of your devices proving it is indeed an LTE net, and not HSDPA/EDGE/etc they you are connected to.

Regards.

But so far, I've not yet successfully connected to an LTE tower...

I assume you have an LTE Band1-compatible device?, a TrueMove H LTE-enabled SIM/account? and you've subscribed to a post-paid LTE-enabled account?

If all are yes, then suspect it could be some sort of configuration/baseband/APN issue on the phone? Otherwise you should be able to get TrueMove H LTE in select areas in Phuket.

Given the number of base-stations installed, and that may increasing daily, figure 10 - 20 each for the list of provincial capitals and tourist locales; obviously there are many, many more covering metro-Bangkok.

post-9615-0-39130300-1394069403_thumb.jp

That works out to be in the 3G space

35,000 base stations equivalents on 850 ( 2100 MHz equivalent x 2.5 )

6,100 base stations on 2100

1,200 base stations on LTE

------------

42,300 base stations equivalents ( apple to apple comparing to 2100 MHz )

Unless of course you can't afford a decent phone

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't know how you guys get those figures for 4g.

Using True on Thong Lor I get between 5 and 10 Mbs on 3G and no 4g.

Yes the phone is set up correctly as it was done and tested by True.

Later the girl at True admitted that 4G "wasn't available many places"

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I don't know how you guys get those figures for 4g.... Sent from my GT-N5100

I'm not certain your Note 8 is LTE Band 1 compatible, so expecting 4G, assuming you've subscribed to a post-paid 4G/LTE plan, is reasonable?

eThere is a Note 3 LTE variant, and a NExus 7 LTE variant which would work on TrueMove H LTE, among other models.

5 ~ 10 Mbps on 3G is impressive, and probably satisfies most mobile data requirements and applications?

I'm not certain your Note 8 is LTE Band 1 compatible, so expecting 4G, assuming you've subscribed to a post-paid 4G/LTE plan, is reasonable?

eThere is a Note 3 LTE variant, and a NExus 7 LTE variant which would work on TrueMove H LTE, among other models.

5 ~ 10 Mbps on 3G is impressive, and probably satisfies most mobile data requirements and applications?

I am using my new IPAD AIR with a 4G sim from TrueMove-H, I got the new 72GB promotion (http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/campaign/entry/2994), so I have enough to play around! I confirm coverage in Bangna area, I tested it from KM 20 until Sukhumvit 64 (sorry did not have time to go further).

Speed is insane, I am getting 66 MBps on download!

Now THIS is speed!

GJ

• Like 2

I am using my new IPAD AIR with a 4G sim from TrueMove-H, I got the new 72GB promotion

So you have the Jumbo 999 plan? That comes with 550 voice minutes each month; can you even use those with an iPad? And the 6 GB of data (months 1 - 12; 3 GB for months 13 - onward) does have a FuP of 128 Kbps, so at that speed (60 Mbps) it might not take too long until you hit your FuP?

You can get a straight up 5 GB of 4G data only for 899.

I am using my new IPAD AIR with a 4G sim from TrueMove-H, I got the new 72GB promotion

So you have the Jumbo 999 plan? That comes with 550 voice minutes each month; can you even use those with an iPad? And the 6 GB of data (months 1 - 12; 3 GB for months 13 - onward) does have a FuP of 128 Kbps, so at that speed (60 Mbps) it might not take too long until you hit your FuP?

You can get a straight up 5 GB of 4G data only for 899.

Correct, 6GB is good enough for me, and my understanding is that I can change package after 12 months.

Yes, the 550min should be for the wife, I do not really need them but my wife should be able to use them on her iphone.

GJ

• Like 1

Yes, the 550min should be for the wife, I do not really need them but my wife should be able to use them on her iphone.

OK, so you swap this SIM between your iPad and your wife's iPhone. How convenient is that?

Well it works! The package with minutes included is too good to pass. The wife is happy and so am I.

By the way, I am floored by how fast 4G is. I was in London a couple of weeks back for business, and the best 3G I was getting with the local SIM card from Virgin mobile was 2 Mbps/s.... so slow!

Finally real speed in Thailand!

GJ

• Like 1

You are absolutely right but I only use my Note 8 with WiFi.

I use Nokia Lumia 920 for 4G

When we are talking about mobile connections, international bandwidth is not something of a concern. People usually do general small browsing, use apps like facebook, youtube etc and usually you can get maximum speed to these apps because they have servers in thailand or nearby places such as singapore or hong kong. You can usually get full or close to full speed to these locations.

Btw even if someone in uk using virgin was getting these speeds, speed tests to other countries such as US or korea and japan would be much lower compared to local uk server similar to Thailand's situation. If you are really concerned with international bandwidth then i can assure you true's international bandwidth and international connection is much better than their dtac and ais counter part.

Unlike in Thailand, 1st world Western countries don't shape international traffic. So if OP is getting 2 mbps local in speedtest, which could be due to server problems (When I test against UK server in my UK vps, I get lower speeds than other locations, it is an UK thing) he will surely get 2 mbps to USA or Europe, which is like the center of Internet. UK to Singapore has a very good under sea marine cable connection and I'm sure they'll get good throughtput. UK is in amazing location for Internet, between USA and Europe, one can't wish better strategic location. Very low pings to continental Europe and low pings to USA, we only dream about those pings in Thailand.

If you use small apps like facebook or youtube, you won't feel any different in 4G than in 3G. Some like to show off 66 mbps intranet speed (local true speed) here but in real you get only a fraction of this internationally. So it is not much different than having a 100Mbit true cable internet but having a 2-5 mbps international throttled speed in a single connection.

You are absolutely right but I only use my Note 8 with WiFi.

I use Nokia Lumia 920 for 4G

Would you care to share what True customer service lady told you one more time? There are some people (actually only one) who claims otherwise (a True corp fanboy). We all want 4G but Thailand needs to replace GSM with 3G first before move to 4G. If no coverage, fall back to GSM is ridiculous.

If you use small apps like facebook or youtube, you won't feel any different in 4G than in 3G.

Total incorrect statement. Those who are on 4G definitely know there is a huge difference.

Stay out of this forum with your dollop, this is about 4G coverage.

As i said before, you know nothing about mobile telecoms from both a regulatory and technical perspective.

• Like 1