True 4G Coverage - post your locations

skippybangkok

I use Nokia Lumia 920 for 4G

And it works? Doesn't work?

Found on the TrueMove H web-site:

Do Nokia 820, 920 phones bought from True shop need to be upgraded?

Nokia Lumia 829, 920 phones bought from True Shop on or after May 8th, 2013 do not need to be upgraded to use 4G. However, if they are bought from True Shop before May 8th, 2013, they do need to be upgraded to use 4G.

Can I check the firmware version of Nokia Lumia 820, 920 by myself, if so How?
Yes, you can check the firmware version by following these steps.
Go to Setting> About> More Info. Look at the 4 sets of 4-digit "Firmware Revision Numbers", if the 3rd set is "1314", your phone is compatble with 4G, but if the number is lower than "1314", you need to upgrade your Firmware to use 4G.
How can I upgrade Nokia 820,920?
There are 3 ways to upgrade your phone to use 4G:
1. It can be done by yourselves but you will need to know how, which will be announced shortly.
2. You can bring it to NOKIA CARE centers. There will be 100 Baht charge and your data and contents will be lost. It is recommended that you back up your data and contents first.
3. You can bring it to any of the 11 IT FRIENDS branches ( the information will be lost; therefore, back up your information first/ **this option is only for NOKIA LUMIA 820. 920 bought from True Shop)​.

Also found this, translated, on a Thai tech forum:

Lumia 920 and Thailand have not unlocked 4G ROM now I have to wait for the next update. 1232.5962.1314.0002 This should release the update via OTA soon,

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it works? Doesn't work?

Found on the TrueMove H web-site:

Do Nokia 820, 920 phones bought from True shop need to be upgraded?

Nokia Lumia 829, 920 phones bought from True Shop on or after May 8th, 2013 do not need to be upgraded to use 4G. However, if they are bought from True Shop before May 8th, 2013, they do need to be upgraded to use 4G.

Can I check the firmware version of Nokia Lumia 820, 920 by myself, if so How?
Yes, you can check the firmware version by following these steps.
Go to Setting> About> More Info. Look at the 4 sets of 4-digit "Firmware Revision Numbers", if the 3rd set is "1314", your phone is compatble with 4G, but if the number is lower than "1314", you need to upgrade your Firmware to use 4G.
How can I upgrade Nokia 820,920?
There are 3 ways to upgrade your phone to use 4G:
1. It can be done by yourselves but you will need to know how, which will be announced shortly.
2. You can bring it to NOKIA CARE centers. There will be 100 Baht charge and your data and contents will be lost. It is recommended that you back up your data and contents first.
3. You can bring it to any of the 11 IT FRIENDS branches ( the information will be lost; therefore, back up your information first/ **this option is only for NOKIA LUMIA 820. 920 bought from True Shop)​.

Also found this, translated, on a Thai tech forum:

Lumia 920 and Thailand have not unlocked 4G ROM now I have to wait for the next update. 1232.5962.1314.0002 This should release the update via OTA soon,

It should work. The third set of digits is 1349

• 2 months later...

No to the post-paid.

Have both a HTC One AND a GS5 - neither ever connect to 4G.

I shall goto Phuket Town to try it though.. thanks.

But so far, I've not yet successfully connected to an LTE tower...

I assume you have an LTE Band1-compatible device?, a TrueMove H LTE-enabled SIM/account? and you've subscribed to a post-paid LTE-enabled account?

If all are yes, then suspect it could be some sort of configuration/baseband/APN issue on the phone? Otherwise you should be able to get TrueMove H LTE in select areas in Phuket.

Given the number of base-stations installed, and that may increasing daily, figure 10 - 20 each for the list of provincial capitals and tourist locales; obviously there are many, many more covering metro-Bangkok.

I assume you have an LTE Band1-compatible device?

What is LTE Band 1? And what are the others?

Added: Forget that, found them.

I had an LTE device but True told me it wouldn't work because it didn't support their band.

But the Note 3 appears to support all of them.

Edited by Chicog

I've struggled with the benefits of upgrading to LTE from my existing 3G True. The True 3G network is pretty solid up here in Isaan and the speeds are decent too, usually in the 7-15Mbps region. So the question also is, what do I need more for? I can stream music and video flawlessly on my phone, but the fact that you always have a download cap (7Gig on my plan) really means you can never use it to replace a home connection, unless of course all you use it for is email! If anyone was to offer me an unlimited LTE contract, I'd dump TOT in a heartbeat and use it as my primary internet connection, but without that, hmmm whats the point?

• 2 weeks later...

Isarn still does not have a lot of 4g, and don't hold out for unlimited 4g plans on a limited fiber network ( unless the plans are 20k per month )

For me, I like 4g cause content arrives immediately. I see big difference.

3G still great though

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know how you guys get those figures for 4g.... Sent from my GT-N5100

I'm not certain your Note 8 is LTE Band 1 compatible, so expecting 4G, assuming you've subscribed to a post-paid 4G/LTE plan, is reasonable?

eThere is a Note 3 LTE variant, and a NExus 7 LTE variant which would work on TrueMove H LTE, among other models.

5 ~ 10 Mbps on 3G is impressive, and probably satisfies most mobile data requirements and applications?

You are absolutely right but I only use my Note 8 with WiFi.

Would you care to share what True customer service lady told you one more time? There are some people (actually only one) who claims otherwise (a True corp fanboy). We all want 4G but Thailand needs to replace GSM with 3G first before move to 4G. If no coverage, fall back to GSM is ridiculous.

Well I don't agree with you on that point.

When you build 4G Networks, you also simultainously build 2G networks with similar coverage.

That is because 4G (LTE) is incapable of regular phonecalls, VOIP excluded ofcourse.

It's therefore best to only build 4G+2G for keeping regular phones working in the "new" network.

2G/3G capable devices will still be able to communicate, though only EDGE for data.

There is no point in building 3G when 4G is so superior, both in speed and coverage.

In fact, LTE is way better in coverage than 3G, if you have the slightest LTE coverage, it's atleast 5Mbits.

One might argue that 3G has an advantage in that it's supported by the majority of devices on the market, and devices owned by customers. But remember that iPhones have LTE capability already and that people switch phones fairly often, so that's not really a problem for 4G.

Once we start seeing cheap Android chipsets with 4G capability, that won't be a concern.

So no, you don't go:

GSM -> 3G -> LTE

You go:

GSM -> 3G -> GSM + LTE

I've struggled with the benefits of upgrading to LTE from my existing 3G True. The True 3G network is pretty solid up here in Isaan and the speeds are decent too, usually in the 7-15Mbps region. So the question also is, what do I need more for? I can stream music and video flawlessly on my phone, but the fact that you always have a download cap (7Gig on my plan) really means you can never use it to replace a home connection, unless of course all you use it for is email! If anyone was to offer me an unlimited LTE contract, I'd dump TOT in a heartbeat and use it as my primary internet connection, but without that, hmmm whats the point?

Why faster?

Yes, that's legitimate question.
Speed is not the only factor here.

While LTE does offer more speed, and more speed is not really what you need, the question becomes:
"What more does LTE offer?"

LTE has better coverage than 3G if deployed correctly, and even incorrectly as I've seen.

When 3G gets you about 7 -13 Mbits on an avarage connection, 3G can become horribly slow on a bad connection.

3G can get down to about 0.0025Mbit on a bad connection, worse than EDGE even.
LTE gets you about 2 - 5Mbit on the worst of connections, at a location you would have unusable 3G.

LTE also handles multiple users better in that it doesn't slow down the same as 3G when the network gets overloaded.

Yes, LTE slows down when people are using it, but it can prioritize in a manner that 3G is incapable of.

It has to do with the way it distributes timeslots for clients, but put simply.
Your YouTube video will buffer faster in order to leave room for other people to use facebook.

So, small lag for others, then free airspace.
Better performace for you, better performance for others.

Compared to 3G that will constantly eat bandwith when streaming and cause lag for everyone by eating timeslots.

Hope I gave some insight to 4G (LTE) smile.png

Edited by Josasp
  • Like 1

Why faster?

Yes, that's legitimate question.

Speed is not the only factor here.

While LTE does offer more speed, and more speed is not really what you need, the question becomes:

"What more does LTE offer?"

LTE has better coverage than 3G if deployed correctly, and even incorrectly as I've seen.

When 3G gets you about 7 -13 Mbits on an avarage connection, 3G can become horribly slow on a bad connection.

3G can get down to about 0.0025Mbit on a bad connection, worse than EDGE even.

LTE gets you about 2 - 5Mbit on the worst of connections, at a location you would have unusable 3G.

LTE also handles multiple users better in that it doesn't slow down the same as 3G when the network gets overloaded.

Yes, LTE slows down when people are using it, but it can prioritize in a manner that 3G is incapable of.

It has to do with the way it distributes timeslots for clients, but put simply.

Your YouTube video will buffer faster in order to leave room for other people to use facebook.

So, small lag for others, then free airspace.

Better performace for you, better performance for others.

Compared to 3G that will constantly eat bandwith when streaming and cause lag for everyone by eating timeslots.

Hope I gave some insight to 4G (LTE) smile.png

I totally get the spectrum benefits, but those are benefits to the carrier not necessarily benefits for the user. My point was, I understand all the benefits technically of LTE, I used to work for Qualcomm for Gods sake so I should do. But while I'm saddled with a download cap, in my mind it limits the use to a smartphone. For the average smartphone user, you will struggle to see a difference (other than when you run a speed test) in application performance of LTE versus HSPA+. And at least in the case of True they want to charge you an extra 99฿/Month, in addition to having to buy a new phone, for the privilege of them being able to more effectively usage their spectrum. Now we could also discuss the issue of LTE frequency fragmentation, which in itself is a challenge for the carriers and at least until the chip modems can run multiple bands, LTE roaming is going to be pretty limited

• Like 1

But while I'm saddled with a download cap

Well, then you most definitely should subscribe to True 4G as you get double data. But then again, its a myth, if i down load a 50MB video on 3G or 4G, its still 50MB. i had 3G on my iPad and now 4G. My data consumption has not changed as i am not heavy media user.

you will struggle to see a difference (other than when you run a speed test) in application performance of LTE versus HSPA+.

Your obviously not using 4G . I see a huge difference on opening Facebook, uploading photo's and streaming some video's etc. for basic web browsing, i agree, not a big difference

True they want to charge you an extra 99฿/Month, in addition to having to buy a new phone

incorrect. 99 baht waived till end of this year, and who knows, with competition coming in slowly, maybe 2015 too. Anyway, get double data.

So i get double data, and higher speed........ if thats still not an incentive, then i don't know what is anymore.

(oh and ps.... if you subscribe now, will be in lucky dip to get 26m Baht Ferrari...... vroom vroom, watch me win it ! )

Edited by skippybangkok

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Where in pattaya and if there is 4G?

And is it true h only right?

There's 4G almost everywhere in and around Pattaya.

You have to make sure you're on TrueMove and have their 4G dataplan, not 3G.

In general Pattaya area is covered with 4G, hovever some smaller and local cells are not equipped.

So, in between some sois, shopping malls etc, you'll only get H+ at about 8Mbit.

Req

• 4G/LTE device supporting 2100Mhz / LTE Band 1 (not all devices do this, different regions etc, check yours!)
  • Pre/Post pay TrueMove H.
  • 4G Datapackage, not 3G, reboot after you purchase package.
  • Be in a 4G area, hangout and notice you start having 4G smile.png

However you don't get 4G all the time, smaller basestations and indoor cells are not equipped with 4G.

In those places though 3G is excellent, so It's a non-issue if you ask me.

I have 4G most of the time, seems to be when outdoors most.

To order packages, go to http://hlife.truecorp.co.th from your phone.

I don't make sense of the packages really, but I get the "4G 1.5Gb duble net 499฿" or something and get 3Gb for 30 days.

post-183440-0-12049100-1416713096_thumb.

Edited by Josasp
  • Like 1

Where in pattaya and if there is 4G?

And is it true h only right?

There's 4G almost everywhere in and around Pattaya.

You have to make sure you're on TrueMove and have their 4G dataplan, not 3G.

In general Pattaya area is covered with 4G, hovever some smaller and local cells are not equipped.

So, in between some sois, shopping malls etc, you'll only get H+ at about 8Mbit.

Req

• 4G/LTE device supporting 2100Mhz / LTE Band 1 (not all devices do this, different regions etc, check yours!)
  • Pre/Post pay TrueMove H.
  • 4G Datapackage, not 3G, reboot after you purchase package.
  • Be in a 4G area, hangout and notice you start having 4G smile.png
However you don't get 4G all the time, smaller basestations and indoor cells are not equipped with 4G.

In those places though 3G is excellent, so It's a non-issue if you ask me.

I have 4G most of the time, seems to be when outdoors most.

To order packages, go to http://hlife.truecorp.co.th from your phone.

I don't make sense of the packages really, but I get the "4G 1.5Gb duble net 499฿" or something and get 3Gb for 30 days.

I got true h in tablet

I guess i need 4G enable it

It shows H+

Its Galaxy S and its support LTE

I just did speed test on ais and true h

In foodland resteurant

Tablet is true and iphone is ais

Same servers

Ais faster

post-62192-14167201851054_thumb.jpg

post-62192-14167202335956_thumb.jpg

Do you have a 4G package?

Galaxy S, shure.
But what model of Galaxy S?
i.e N9005 etc etc..

In general TrueMove is faster, however AIS has a few spots in central Pattaya where their 3G is good.
Otherwise I see almost everybody with either AIS or DTAC running around with Edge most of the time.

Galaxy S, shure.

i.e N9005 etc etc..

In general TrueMove is faster, however AIS has a few spots in central Pattaya where their 3G is good.

Otherwise I see almost everybody with either AIS or DTAC running around with Edge most of the time.

Sorry i mean its tablet

Galaxy S

I got Galaxy S 5 too

I already know true got 4G in pattaya

I need update sim

Any promos for 4G and voice

Or just 4G

Thx

Galaxy S, shure.

i.e N9005 etc etc..

Cant agree

AIS in pattaya and outside like sattahip area i always 3G

Most towers

In sattahip my gf mum house off sukumvit ais the strongest.. and fastest.

Edited by mataleo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Galaxy S, shure.
i.e N9005 etc etc..

Sorry i mean its tablet

Galaxy S

I got Galaxy S 5 too

I need update sim

Or just 4G

Thx

Galaxy S, shure.
i.e N9005 etc etc..

Cant agree

Most towers

As for AIS performance, I can't really say, only what I've observed myself.

Probably depends on your area, what I know is that my TrueMove has always been flawless everywhere, even where others complained on DTAC and AIS.

As for Galaxy S5 etc,
It all depends on your model, as there are many different models, besides the product name.

Some work in the TrueMove 4G LTE network, some don't, even if they have "4G".

For S5 there are:

• SM-G900F
  • SM-G900I
  • SM-G900K
  • SM-G900L
  • SM-G900S
  • SM-G900M
  • SM-G900A
  • SM-G900T
  • SM-G900W8

Highlighted the ones that theoretically should support TrueMove 4G in green

Galaxy S, shure.

i.e N9005 etc etc..

Sorry i mean its tablet

Galaxy S

I got Galaxy S 5 too

I need update sim

Or just 4G

Thx

Galaxy S, shure.

i.e N9005 etc etc..

Cant agree

Most towers

Probably depends on your area, what I know is that my TrueMove has always been flawless everywhere, even where others complained on DTAC and AIS.

As for Galaxy S5 etc,

It all depends on your model, as there are many different models, besides the product name.

For S5 there are:

• SM-G900F
  • SM-G900I
  • SM-G900K
  • SM-G900L
  • SM-G900S
  • SM-G900M
  • SM-G900A
  • SM-G900T
  • SM-G900W8

I got first one on list

With ais a move all around and really works strongest

Before i went through every sim here and sticked with ais

Even tested all exotic ones mojo TOT etc..

Anyway i will go to true saloon today

Thx

As for Galaxy S5 etc,

For S5 there are:

• SM-G900F
  • SM-G900I
  • SM-G900K
  • SM-G900L
  • SM-G900S
  • SM-G900M
  • SM-G900A
  • SM-G900T
  • SM-G900W8

I got first one on list

Thx

If you're not getting 4G on True with that phone you need to have a 4G package, maybe you're stuck with a 3G package?

You don't need to care about the other exotic providers like, Mojo, My, TOT, i-Mobile etc.

They all rely on either CAT's My-network och TOT's Network, or even both.

CAT and TOT's 3G networks are basically shit, with almost no or very crappy coverage.

They do however have some cheap dataplans, so they may be an option for a home-connection if you're in a coverage zone.

Otherwise, just stay away from them.

As for Galaxy S5 etc,

For S5 there are:

• SM-G900F
  • SM-G900I
  • SM-G900K
  • SM-G900L
  • SM-G900S
  • SM-G900M
  • SM-G900A
  • SM-G900T
  • SM-G900W8

I got first one on list

Thx

If you're not getting 4G on True with that phone you need to have a 4G package, maybe you're stuck with a 3G package?

You don't need to care about the other exotic providers like, Mojo, My, TOT, i-Mobile etc.

They all rely on either CAT's My-network och TOT's Network, or even both.

CAT and TOT's 3G networks are basically shit, with almost no or very crappy coverage.

They do however have some cheap dataplans, so they may be an option for a home-connection if you're in a coverage zone.

Otherwise, just stay away from them.

Yes that true sim got some 3g 3GB for 500+ subscryption

Whats that about???

From what I understand that just means exactly what it states.

It doesn't mean they will stop after that date, just that they will provide service until atleast that date.

I understand that they only had a license until this summer, but the license wasn't renewed as to all the political turmoil.

The licenses were supposed to be renegotiated and 4G spectrum bands 1800 and 900 auctioned.

So NCPO ordered NBTC to postpone the auctions for one year.

That means that next year the frequencies might change etc.

TrueMove is doing a "ghetto-hack" with 4G right now, running it on their 3G frequencies instead of the approperiate 4G frequencies for the region.

LTE Band 1 happens to be the same frequency as they use mainly in USA for 4G/LTE. But it's not proper for Asia or the rest of the world besides US.

That means that iPhones and some other devices targeted for EU/Asia won't be able to use TrueMove H 4G that runs on 2100Mhz (Band 1).

But most Samsung devices take most of the bands, iPhones are right now more regional, haven't researched iPhone 6 though, but it's true for 5s atleast.

Having 4G/LTE on 800 / 850 / 900 would be the best for coverage.

On those frequencies 4G goes further, many times further than 2G and even with a bad connection you get about 5Mbits on 4G.

Edited by Josasp
  • Like 1