Deep South: Thai Army rangers admit murdering children

webfact

Southern Unrest: Rangers Admit Murdering Children
By Khaosod English

13938413481393841644l.jpg

Ranger Maming Binmama and Ranger Sakuera Jesae (in blue and black)at the police press conference

NARATHIWAT: -- Two Army rangers have confessed to murdering three children and wounding their family members in the restive South.

The incident took place at a residence in Bajoh district of Narathiwat province on the night of 3 February. The assailants apparently broke into the residence and opened fire, killing the boys. Two adult relatives, a man and a woman, were also injured by the gunfire.

Various groups condemned the attack, and a number of Islamic separatist activists blamed the Thai authorities for engineering the murders.

Thousands of civilians and members of security forces have died in the prolonged violence in the southern border provinces, which are predominantly populated by Muslim-Malay ethnics.

Following an investigation, the police have arrested Ranger Maming Binmama, 21, and Ranger Sakuera Jesae, 25, in connection with the murders. Both men belong to the 46th Ranger Regiment.

In a police press conference, Pol.Maj.Gen. Pattanawut Angkanawin said the two suspects and another collaborator murdered the victims out of "personal reasons". He insisted that the suspects did not carry out the attacks as a concerted effort to intimidate the local population.

According to Pol.Maj.Gen. Pattanawut, the suspects attacked the victim family out of their desire to exact vengeance for a blood feud between their families.

The suspects reportedly used an AK-47 rifle, an M-16 rifle, and a handgun in the attack.

The third suspect is still on the run, said Pol.Maj.Gen. Pattanawut. He refused to identify the person by the name, citing concerns over the ongoing investigation.

"We will bring the person to face justice as soon as possible," Pol.Maj.Gen. Pattanawut insisted.

Mr. Maming told reporters his actions are solely personal issues and unrelated to the military. He said he acquired the weapons used in the murders from his friends.

Although Mr. Maming and Mr. Sakuera have also disposed the rifles into a canal, the third suspect still possessed the handgun, Mr. Maming added.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU16ZzBNVE0wT0E9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-03-03

I hope they get the death penalty. Evil is the only way to describe perpetrators of such a despicable act. Not to mention them being the reason for ongoing reprisal attacks which has claimed even more lives. annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif

Disgusting. Army as a whole needs serious reform from the top down.

If this isn't a wake up call I don't know what is.

I don't think anyone. Is goingg to disagree with you regarding these disgusting acts, but the same can also be said regarding RTP which also needs a massive overhaul.

What have the police got to do with this topic ?

• Like 1

Interesting that these rangers are locals. Their names show that they are not even ethnic Thais. I wonder if there is a back-story to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Interesting that these rangers are locals. Their names show that they are not even ethnic Thais. I wonder if there is a back-story to this.

Names don't look islamic. Please explain

The OP claims the killing of the children is an outcome of respective families blood dispute. From the first reports on the murder of the children, in the BKK Post, the children's father had been accused of the murder of a local tambon official, out on bail & then the charges were dropped. One would assume the killing of the children is related to this event. What is worse is that a video of interviews of some local people claim the children were specifically hunted down for killing at the family house, it was not a tragic error.

By their names & if it was a local families dispute, it appears you are correct in that the Rangers were locally recruited Thai Muslims. Some of the reporting is not always accurate so the other scenario could be they were paid contract killers, but that's pure speculation.

Congrats to the taskforce assigned to the investigation.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

The names are Yawi / Rumi (related to Malay) ... These names probably predate any contact with Arab / Muslim traders.

Edited by Trembly

The names are Yawi / Rumi (related to Malay) ... These names probably predate any contact with Arab / Muslim traders.

OK I'll accept your word. BIL is from there, though Thai Bhuddist. He's a Muat in the police in Had Yai

• Like 1

The OP claims the killing of the children is an outcome of respective families blood dispute. From the first reports on the murder of the children, in the BKK Post, the children's father had been accused of the murder of a local tambon official, out on bail & then the charges were dropped. One would assume the killing of the children is related to this event. What is worse is that a video of interviews of some local people claim the children were specifically hunted down for killing at the family house, it was not a tragic error.

By their names & if it was a local families dispute, it appears you are correct in that the Rangers were locally recruited Thai Muslims. Some of the reporting is not always accurate so the other scenario could be they were paid contract killers, but that's pure speculation.

That would fit in with the what I've come to understand about the blood feud culture that exists in the Deep South (and even further south).

I pity the poor innocent children and also the investigators and poor devils in charge of the fragile recruitment programme for locals.

News of this incident was probably met with a resounding "oh <deleted>!" in their office.

Edited by Trembly

Disgusting. Army as a whole needs serious reform from the top down.

If this isn't a wake up call I don't know what is.

You are right

You don't know any thing

This was a blood feud. Not that familiar with feud's in that part of the world but I know that there is a religion there which allows indiscriminate killing of people if they belong to another religion. Some thing about kill the infidels in their religious book. I don't know maybe it had some thing to do with that. The article left a lot out.

Sad to see children killed for idiotic reasons like a feud. They are innocent.

Edited by northernjohn

That would fit in with the what I've come to understand about the blood feud culture that exists in the Deep South (and even further south).

I pity the poor innocent children and also the investigators and poor devils in charge of the fragile recruitment programme for locals.

News of this incident was probably met with a resounding "oh <deleted>!" in their office.

Probably the same '<deleted>' comment when two Thai army guys (Buddhist names) were recently arrested for murdering two local Muslims over a landfill business dispute in the deep South. At least Thai security forces are now occassionally being held to account for their illegal actions...

• Like 1

Probably the same '<deleted>' comment when two Thai army guys (Buddhist names) were recently arrested for murdering two local Muslims over a landfill business dispute in the deep South. At least Thai security forces are now occassionally being held to account for their illegal actions...

I hope they catch and convict every last one of them. You're mistaken if you think I have a bias. ;)

Edited by Trembly

I hope they catch and convict every last one of them. You're mistaken if you think I have a cultural or religious bias. wink.png

I've noticed some of your posts and No don't think that, just commenting the murders in the deep South are not the sole ownership of the Muslim community that some people believe

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

I hope they catch and convict every last one of them. You're mistaken if you think I have a cultural or religious bias. wink.png

I've noticed some of your posts and No don't think that, just commenting the murders in the deep South are not the sole ownership of the Muslim community that some people believe

Agreed.

Just another part of Siam that really doesn't belong. Makes you wonder if there even is a country called Thailand.

I believe that a lot of the friction is to do with the Siamese winner-takes-all attitude. There are many other examples of conquerors and empire builders who had more management savvy.