M.Ed in Teaching and Technology (online degree - Thailand)

This looks to be an interesting course offered 'online' by Assumption University.

http://www.elearning.au.edu/medtt/

Is anyone on the foum studying for this M.Ed?

It interest me for a couple of reasons:

- I intend to remain in Thailand/south-east Asia for the forseeable future, not teaching outside of Asia

- It is an online course, (so flexible learning/timetable)

- It is approved by the MoE

- The fees are reasonable

- Teaching is my secondary employment (right now), but could be a primary employment in the future if Plan A (hotel owner) goes t*ts up...

- Graduating from a Thai university adds a few points to the points system for applying for Thai citizenship, (which is something that I propose to do in a few years)

Simon

Hey Simon,

I'm considering starting this program in August. My situation is quite similar to yours, teaching is secondary at the moment, I plan to stay in SEA indefinitely, and if my current situation goes to shit I will definitely be teaching.

As far as the program goes, I know one person who was currently enrolled but dropped out as although it's online, according to him, it's not as flexible as one might think. IIRC, he said that exam dates and coursework deadlines were strict. He works full-time and requested to have an exam proctored at a different time as it conflicted with work. I guess the institution wouldn't move on it, he failed a class and now has to pay to do the class over again.

I emailed them about my 'mature' status - no problem to apply without references from my previous college (25+ years ago), but colleague references will do.

Luckily for me, although I work full-time, it is in my own business (small hotel) - so I am flexible about exam dates etc.

I compared this course to other onl-line courses, such as the PGCEi from Nottingham University and the MA Education from Derby University, (both of which BTW, I hold offers from). The cost of the PGCEi is 1bout 156,000 baht, but it is not a Master's level of qualification, (although a very relevant qualification for teaching in primary/secondary schools). The Derby MA is about 400,000 baht.

Were I younger and intending to make teaching my primary career, then I would opt for the PGCEi (if teaching school age), or the Derby MA (if teaching university/adult). But with an M.Ed from Assumption, I know (99%) that I will be able to secure employment in Asia at my advanced age(!), and receive a livable income from this. (This is my plan B - if the sh*t hits the fan scenario...).

Note that I was already working as a teacher and Headmaster in Asia without the M.Ed, MA or PGCEi (I have an unrelated MSc). So my plan B is realistic).

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HI Simon,

I studied in www.aeu.edu.my for M. Ed two years ago. The curriculum is basically the same as University Malaya and the courses are also taught by University Malaya Lecturers.

I have some materials and assignments, and thesis and can share with you if you are interested. Please PM me. I have register to do Ph.D but work commitment has prevented me from moving ahead.

Regards

Surich (KL)

• 2 weeks later...
Graduating from a Thai university adds a few points to the points system for applying for Thai citizenship

I think it only does for a first degree, not for a master degree.

I have the points system and seemingly 20 points is the maximum. Simon would be close to that with an MSc. The thing I got says nothing about Thai university.

How much is the thing at ABAC?