virus on my macbook pro? issues with safari...

advancebooking

I’ve heard that apple mac’s are not prone to virus attacks but I think there is a problem with my macbook pro. When I launch safari and try to log into either gmail or fbook the www. area of safari gets its knickers into a twist and then then the window is displayed that the page is unable to open.

To explain this better, I enter the correct user name and password on gmail and then the screen proceeds to the 2ndry verification page. I enter the code and select the <enter> button and then at the top of the screen in the http part…. The url section flicks between various long url’s and then the ‘page is not found’ screen is shown.

Do you think I should delete safari and re-install it or download chrome? How do I delete safari?

Im still able to open tv.com thankfully and other websites but not the vital gmail or fbook. Life is not as good without my daily log in to these url’s. please help me resolve this problem.

Thanks

Quote,.... "Im still able to open tv.com thankfully and other websites but not the vital gmail or fbook. Life is not as good without my daily log in to these url’s. please help me resolve this problem."

Are you using a VPN (Hula or Zenmate etc) to get through for the telly channels? . If so just turn that off.... It should be OK.... turn on again for viewing TV.... all a bit of a learning curve.... facepalm.gif

Had a similar problem on Chrome a week or so ago... how I hate Chrome... it turns everything in to Thai.... and not easy to resolve...bah.gif

I think you need Safari installed, for the Apple updates .... (not 100% certain on that) wink.png

• Like 1

Safari is a resident program and can not be deleted. I don't think it's a virus, but you may want to download the free version of Sophos Virus for Mac and do a scan.

Apple has had an integration issue with Gmail. Are you running Mavericks? Lastly, make sure you have all available updates.

• Like 1

Quote,.... "Im still able to open tv.com thankfully and other websites but not the vital gmail or fbook. Life is not as good without my daily log in to these url’s. please help me resolve this problem."

Are you using a VPN (Hula or Zenmate etc) to get through for the telly channels? . If so just turn that off.... It should be OK.... turn on again for viewing TV.... all a bit of a learning curve.... facepalm.gif

Had a similar problem on Chrome a week or so ago... how I hate Chrome... it turns everything in to Thai.... and not easy to resolve...bah.gif

I think you need Safari installed, for the Apple updates .... (not 100% certain on that) wink.png

I had the Thai issue with Chrome as well. If you go to Google Settings, not Chrome settings and set the global language to English all will be resolved.

• Like 1

You didn't include which release of OSX you are using, but there is a security update for Safari for Mavericks, 10.8.6. You can check for these issues on the apple support pages or OSX Daily.com.There are virus attacks against OS X out there, just fewer.

I use Forefox 27.0.1 and have not had any anomilies recently.

Hope you get the problem resolved!

Hi,

Macs rarely get viruses, and this does not sound like one. Try this....

1) Go to Applications Folder

2) Near bottom of the list of applications, open the folder called “Utilities”

3) Click on "Disk Utility.app”…

4) You will see something like…

Make sure you choose your main drive on left side, like in this screenshot, and make sure you have chosen “First Aid”.

5) Click on “Repair Disk Permissions”

When finished you should see a list of stuff it has fixed like…

Once you have done this, your machine is all clean and repaired inside, and should be a bit faster too!

Cheers,IE

Otherwise contact http://www.machelpnow.com/ , he does support in English by Skype and is very good

post-189856-0-28610200-1393907453_thumb.

post-189856-0-43255000-1393907482_thumb.

• Like 1

I have a slightly different MacBookPro issue. The charger cable that goes into the MacBook became frayed ande despite doing some running repairs (insulating tape) it stopped working. I got a new cable and had to get a new battery which was also as good as dead. Put in the new battery, connected the new cable......nada! I left the cable plugged in and had to go out for a few hours ans wallah the charging light on the charging cable was telling me it was charging the battery. Used the MacBook until the battery got low and then plugged in the charger again....nada! Left it for several hours and the charging light came on again. This has now happened about six times. Anyone any ideas?

I have a slightly different MacBookPro issue. The charger cable that goes into the MacBook became frayed ande despite doing some running repairs (insulating tape) it stopped working. I got a new cable and had to get a new battery which was also as good as dead. Put in the new battery, connected the new cable......nada! I left the cable plugged in and had to go out for a few hours ans wallah the charging light on the charging cable was telling me it was charging the battery. Used the MacBook until the battery got low and then plugged in the charger again....nada! Left it for several hours and the charging light came on again. This has now happened about six times. Anyone any ideas?

Clean the magsafe port on the macbook and the magsafe connector with Alcohol and cotton bud.

Reset the PRAM and SMC using the method for your model on the apple store.

Im the OP of this thread.

this afternoon, when I key in gmail.com on the safari browser, it now automatically directs to the google.com page - and the page displays download google chrome. I was trying to download this yesterday but it didnt finish. Im surprised that its now preventing me from going to gmail.

I have started a software download and will see if that helps. Also trying to download sophorus anti virus

Im the OP of this thread. this afternoon, when I key in gmail.com on the safari browser, it now automatically directs to the google.com page - and the page displays download google chrome. I was trying to download this yesterday but it didnt finish. Im surprised that its now preventing me from going to gmail. I have started a software download and will see if that helps. Also trying to download sophorus anti virus

You don't really need to download google Chrome -- that's just a blatant hook to convert you into a google fan boy/girl.

Also -- from "10 ways to access blocked Gmail at office, school, work"

1. Use different access URL - Get started by using a different URL web address to access Gmail instead of using www.gmail.com. You IT admin might have forgotten to block some URLs.

- http://gmail.com or https://gmail.com

- http://m.gmail.com or https://m.gmail.com

- http://googlemail.com or https://googlemail.com

- http://mail.google.com/mail/x/ or https://mail.google.com/mail/x/

The use of " h t t p s / / : " should help.

edit: Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure Forward-slash Forward slash Colon gets vaporized by the forum editor. Hmm.

Edited by RichCor

Which Version of Safari is it and have you "reset" it yet?

Which Mac OS? Mavericks? OSX? 10.9.2 ? (Click on Apple icon top left of screen for drop down menu, click on first item, what does it say?

Have you installed all software updates? Click on "Software Update" on that box that shows what OS. Update accordingly.

If problem persists:

You need to reinstall your OS and your problems will be solved.

• Like 1

Which Version of Safari is it and have you "reset" it yet?

Which Mac OS? Mavericks? OSX? 10.9.2 ? (Click on Apple icon top left of screen for drop down menu, click on first item, what does it say?

Have you installed all software updates? Click on "Software Update" on that box that shows what OS. Update accordingly.

If problem persists:

You need to reinstall your OS and your problems will be solved.

How does one reinstall the OS???

It was sound advice above to download free antivirus. I did this and there was a virus which has now been removed.

I re started the laptop and tried again to get into gmail. I entered the 2ndry code and the same problem occurs. It is says ''safari cant open the page. Too many redirects. this can occur if you open a page that is redirected to another page''

What should I do. thanks so much

I doubt that virus was anything that would harm your Mac. Was it in a Word document, or .pdf file?

Anyway, if you want to reinstall the OS (rarely necessary IMO), you can open the App Store and click on the OS X Mavericks (I am assuming you are running Mavericks???) and download it and follow the instructions.

Rather than reinstall the OS, have you reset Safari? (Safari>Reset Safari). Once you have done this, log out (Apple icon>Logout<your username>) and log back in and try your Gmail again.

Well, download Chrome, or Firefox and see if you can get logged in to your Gmail with either of those.

You are running OS X Mavericks, yes?

Go to: Apple icon>About this Mac

and tell me what "Version number" is displayed on the pop-up that appears. It should read 10.9.2, or another version, like 10.X.Y, etc.

Let me know please.

BTW.....always a good idea to "backup" your computer before doing anything like this so just in case, make sure you have a backup of your important bits before re-installing OS.

This is exactly why I don't think the OP should be rushing into reinstalling straight away. If he/she is a beginner with computers, we cannot know what he/she has in the way of data that he/she cares about and that would always be at risk during a reinstallation of the OS.

Given what we have so far, I am inclined to believe that there are no backups and the best way forward is probably a little fault-finding and/or workarounds.