British guy living in France - Vistior visa for thai GF....

Hello all!

A little background before I pose a few questions which I hope someone can, from experience or knowledge, help clarify a few points for me prior to my GF submitting her application for visiting France in a month or so....

I'm originally from the UK and now, due to a contract with my company, reside in France and will do for the next couple of years.

My GF came over to visit me in the UK last year successfully and we are now about to apply for a shengen visa for her.

My question is, has anyone been in a similar situation as ths? is there anything out of the ordinary that I should consider including in the application that the French embassy in BKK may need to see because I am British, living in France?

I have sent over to my GF the original copies of my UK and international contracts with my company, as well as all my housing, insurance documentation - all of this is additional to the paper work that was supplied for the UK visa and will be supplied for the French visa also, albeit with updated info.

I'm more than certain that because we have successfully applied for the UK visitor visa that we shouldn't encounter any issues with the French, but then again, you just never know.....

Any helpful info greatly received. smile.png

Your girlfriend will need to satisfy the French authorities that she is a genuine visitor, IE just visiting you for a holiday, and not intending to live with you in France.

She will need to provide details of her proposed flights in and out of France, where she is staying, I assume with you, and what her plans are whilst you are at work. She will also need to satisfy the visa officer that she would return home at the end of her holiday by demonstrating her ties to her home country. She will need to provide insurance for the duration of the trip.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has been through a similar exercise, but I suspect it wont be a rubber stamp job.

• Like 2

I presume you have a UK Passport? Has her UK visa expired?

I have done this twice once for France and once for Italy. The difference was that I

had work and property rental contract for France and we secured the French Schengen visa in BKK, while for Italy it was just holiday and because my wife has PLR in the UK we secured the Italian Schengen visa in London.

There were no problems. As another poster says all authorities are really only concerned that

a. The applicant has funds and accommodation available for their stay and

b. That there is clear evidence that they will return to their country. This often/usually means they must have

work/children/property in their country of origin.

I cannot see why you should have any problem if you have work/income/bank account/housing in France with appropriate

documentation

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Reassuring words!

LL88 - Yes I am a UK passport holder. Her UK visitor visa of 6 months expired a month or so back.

All other points are covered for applying for the French visa in the same way that they were for the UK visa so fingers crossed that there shouldn't be any issues.

I'll update on the outcome in due course.

Thanks for the replies. Reassuring words!

LL88 - Yes I am a UK passport holder. Her UK visitor visa of 6 months expired a month or so back.

All other points are covered for applying for the French visa in the same way that they were for the UK visa so fingers crossed that there shouldn't be any issues.

I'll update on the outcome in due course.

I was living in Paris and my Thai girlfriend come to stay with me.3 Embassy visits and 6 months later she got a 3 month visa. I had to supply a letter saying i was her sponser and would take care of her. A letter of contract from my employer including salary slips , bank details , details of my apartment ( how many rooms ) , proof i lived there ( electrcity bill ). Also my girlfriend had to be able to show 50,000bt in her bank account and a return ticket. This was 8 years ago. It may have changed.

I got a Schengen vis a for my wife quite recently for Spain. Firstly the application is completely different, 4 pages as opposed to 9 for the UK. She may not be able to go through the French Embassy as many of the European countries are farming it out to VFS, email the embassy to check. Worth checking VFS website for information and requirements.

Main things are that there must be a return ticket with adequate travel insurance. VFS have a list of authorised companies. We used AXA Thailand which can be done online quite easy.

Proof of adequate funding will be required, normally bank statements and supporting documents. I was quite fortunate in that as a spouse very little is required.

If you follow the VFS requirements there should not be any problems either there or at the embassy.

Edited by sandyf

Just to add a little to all the above. I prepared a letter in French saying that I was her sponsor and would be supporting her and providing accommodation. I took the letter with copy EDF bills, Taxe Habitation etc to the local Mairie and they stamped it. (This would not be necessary if staying in a hotel and can show the reservation). This seemed to do the trick and the visa was issued quite quickly. Good luck

This is an odd problem because she could get a free 6 month Schengen visa if she was your wife. I think this also might apply to common law wife if you can prove it, to do this you must make a document and have it notarized.

Then she could apply for a French residence / ID card while you are working in France. Would be very useful for the future. We did this and my wife now lives with me in the UK and we can also travel to Europe with out drama.

Generally accurate information provided by posters.

The requirements for a Schengen visa are very similar to those for a British visa: proof of (reserved) travel dates, proof of travel insurance, proof of ability to support oneself while in Europe, some kind of indication that the visa applicant will definitely return to Thailand when the visa expires.

It appears that TLSContact handle visa applications for the French Embassy in Bangkok. If you check their website https://www.tlscontact.com/th2fr/docs.php you can see all the documents they require to approve a visa application, including the information they need from you as a guarantor for GF's visit (select Family, private visit and then Private or friend visit short stay). Follow the document list rigidly and, considering that your GF has already visited and left the UK, there should be no problems granting a visa.

It really is a good idea to do a little research through an embassy's website before asking for advice here.

Good luck.

Did exactly this last year when visiting my parents, who are British and live in France. It was straight forward but quite strict. Needed a letter of invitation from a French resident (not citizen, as far as I can tell that makes no difference) a place to stay, and confirmation of your ID/residence from the Mairie, proof of funds and health insurance (tip - you can buy from Axa global online with a credit card, you can't buy from Axa Thaialnd with a CC...)

As per the UK they're mainly looking for proof/assurance that she will come back.

Don't use an agency as it's a waste of money.

One important document you will have to furnish is an Attestation d'accueil, and which you will have to arrange through your local Mayor's office at the Town Hall. This will be confirmation that she will be staying with you for the period of her stay, and is used in the absence of confirmed hotel accommodation or similar which the Consulate would normally require as one of the requirements for her Schengen visa.

I got a Schengen vis a for my wife quite recently for Spain. Firstly the application is completely different, 4 pages as opposed to 9 for the UK. She may not be able to go through the French Embassy as many of the European countries are farming it out to VFS, email the embassy to check. Worth checking VFS website for information and requirements.

Main things are that there must be a return ticket with adequate travel insurance. VFS have a list of authorised companies. We used AXA Thailand which can be done online quite easy.

Proof of adequate funding will be required, normally bank statements and supporting documents. I was quite fortunate in that as a spouse very little is required.

If you follow the VFS requirements there should not be any problems either there or at the embassy.

As Fleeing states in post #11: The French offer the option of going to TLS contact, most other Schengen embassies offer the option of going to VFS Global. However this is NOT mandatory but entirely optional, the Schengen code (Code on Visa) dictates in artile 17 that you should have a genuine option of applying directly via the embassy witout the use of an external service provider. This is also explained in the Visa Handbook. See recent topics on applications via Spain for instance http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/703486-spanish-schengen-visa-new-rule/

The French website did mention that you can apply without giong to TLS, which is ofcourse per Visa Code. Sadly various Schengen embassies make no mention at all of the RIHT of a direct application, just as some don't make any mention of visa fee waivers and the " fast and easy" application for non-EU family members of an EU citizen who can excersize their freedom of movement rights. Use the information on TLS or VFS sites as a guideline (prepration help) , be aware that the info on there and the embassy website may not be complete or even be in violation of the Schengen Code on Visa. Get all papers in order and make the application. Most likely the easiest and cheapest route being via the embassy and not through an external service provider.