The Nissan March - Commuting Without Compromise

The Nissan March - Commuting Without Compromise

images.jpg

For those of you who are long term stayers in Thailand, the need for independent transport around town is a probability. If you don’t feel comfortable as a motorbike rider, you may be considering a compact vehicle that is safe, economical, easy to drive and safe.

If this is you, then the all new Nissan March is for people who love simplicity, designed as a reliable, stylish and accessible compact car, the Nissan March is engineered for great handling and an agile performance,

We had the opportunity to take a test car from Nissan Cha-Am on a drive both around town and into the Tha Yang hinterland. Here’s what we found.

First Impressions

nissan+march.jpg

First of all it’s cute, or as my Thai companion exclaimed – ‘Na Lak’. "Its face had to look stylish and have an air of sophistication to it" comments Mr. Makoto Yamane, Associate Product Chief Designer.

The vehicle is pint-sized (3.8 metres x 1.7 metres), but has four doors and easily able to accommodate four adult occupants with ease. The alternative is to fold down the rear seats so that golf clubs or other items can be transported.

Taking the driver’s seat I immediately felt ‘at ease’ with easily adjustable seating, operating controls and clear open vision.

Retaining its compact dimensions, the new car is slightly longer and marginally lower, while its longer wheelbase enables a ‘wheels-at-each-corner’ stance, the main reason behind the March’s roomier interior.

All-new 1.2-litre Engine and XTRONIC CVT

The all new Nissan March is powered by an all-new HR12DE 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine, inheriting its DNA from the HR16 4-cylinder engine powering the Tiida. The new engine employs continuously valve-timing control (CVTC). Power is rated at 59kW (79ps, while torque output is 108Nm. At only 120g/km, CO2 emissions for this version are world-class.

The Nissan March comes with either a 5-speed manual gearbox or Nissan’s all-new XTRONIC Continuously Variable Transmission (XTRONIC CVT). The wide gear coverage enables the 1.2-litre engine to achieve economy and brisk acceleration.

My first word for the driving experience was ‘nippy’, it gets up and goes. You won’t be left behind when the traffic lights turn green.

Nissan engineers developed ride and handling characteristics which combine agility, refinement and poise. Mounted onto Nissan’s new signature V-platform, the suspension has been designed to be both compact, minimizing intrusion at the rear for maximum bump not at the expense of the car’s on-road dynamics. Particular attention has been paid bump absorption, meaning that the March will ride serenely over challenging road surfaces, not suffer from wallow or float, and cruise effortlessly at highway speeds.

Comfort, Function and Equipment

images+%25281%2529.jpg

The car has superb visibility and a class-topping turning radius of 4.5m and several new technologies that assist with minimizing C02 emissions and mileage while at the same time making parking easier.

The new March is available with some key technological innovations which are designed to simplify day-to-day life for its owners. It also offers special option of Intelligent Key + Immobilizer, a push button start-stop system, automatic foldable mirror, and reverse sensor (4 points) in addition to an intelligent multi-display which supplies drivers with real time fuel economy information, cruising range and outside temperature.

Safety

images+%25282%2529.jpg

The incorporation of the V-platform is one major factor contributing to the car’s improved impact safety. The car is designed to absorb the forces of a frontal impact, thanks to the sophisticated crumple zones, while maintaining cabin integrity due to its highly reinforced body shell. We achieved European standard of safety under UNECE 94 and 95 (front and lateral impact). In Thailand, the March is fitted with standard safety equipment such as SRS airbags, ABS, EBD, and BA

In Summary

March has consistently won praise and success in Europe, Japan and other global markets gaining a reputation as a reliable, stylish, affordable compact car enjoyed by a wide cross-section of customers. Its newly developed 1.2L 3-cylinder HR12DE engine mated with an automatic transmission achieves class-leading fuel economy.

This means local drivers will be well satisfied with finding the benchmark for compact cars to drive around town.

hh2d.jpg
-- Hua Hin Today 2014-03-03

My wife drives one and loves it. Turning radius is something that really stood out on this car. You can nearly do a full 360 degree turn within a lane.

Impressive for the 478k pricing for base cvt auto.

Not great up hills is the only down side.

I got no beef with what you drive, and I did like the first model with it's clean look, but the update styling must have been rendered by a committee of retired pimps! It looks even worse than the poxy Mitsu Mirage.

Been driving a swift lately, really grown on me and fun to drive. They did a good job on the styling and find it better than a March. Has much more of a fun factor.

What has fun or styling got to do with driving to work/ school run?

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

I will try again rolleyes.gif cause someone has a bee under their bonnet = March owner by chance? lol

My wife's sister has a March, It's small, fuel efficient and I imagine will not do very well in a crash. It's cute, cuddly and turns in a radius equal too or better than a golf cart. Perfect for driving around in circles at shopping malls looking for that ever closest spot to the entrance.

It rides ok on smooth roads but not unexpectedly doesnt fancy most of the roads around here that don't meet the smooth description.

I suggested she trick it out with fancy wheels, upgraded disc brakes, spoilers, aftermarket running lights, lower the suspension....it will look faster.

But I forgot this thread is about only promoting the March so anything else is probably not permitted...

Have a March myself (as a second car) and absolutely love it for city traffic. It is economical, but fun to drive and has enough space to transport things. Great value for money.

Doesn't it make you feel a little girly?

What a pathetic comment.

Have a March myself (as a second car) and absolutely love it for city traffic. It is economical, but fun to drive and has enough space to transport things. Great value for money.

What a pathetic comment.

Clearly driving around in a Nissan March also gives you anger issues.

What a pathetic comment.

Clearly driving around in a Nissan March also gives you anger issues.

Not really no, my other car is rather larger and also paid for. But I don't live in Bangkok, see?

Been driving a swift lately, really grown on me and fun to drive. They did a good job on the styling and find it better than a March. Has much more of a fun factor.

I think you will find that fun factor and styling has everything to do with selling these cars and the Swift is very good at it. I think the March is the most boring looking car so should suit your needs perfectly.

• Like 1

I think you will find that fun factor and styling has everything to do with selling these cars and the Swift is very good at it. I think the March is the most boring looking car so should suit your needs perfectly.

Different opinion to mine! I thought the first March had a clean purposeful look. Probably a death trap in a very serious accident, but your going to avoid those....aren't you?

• Like 1