CAT 5e ethernet cable and installation

manarak

I recently bought 160 metres of Cat6 (increased specvover 5) on Level 4 or 5 of Tukcom. Can't remember the name of the shop but near Kong computer repairs. My brother in law (Thai of course) ran the cable through 5 levels of our shop house in conduit etc. He also terminated and tested each cable. Everything fine. Message me if you want more details.

Many thanks to craight3365 who pointed me to a shop located on Thepprasit.

It's called "Domotica" they do CCTV, automation, video, IPTV, etc. including LAN technology.

They got pretty much everything, including shielded CAT 5e and shielded CAT 6 cables on order.

They also do installations.

• 5 months later...

I recently bought 160 metres of Cat6 (increased specvover 5) on Level 4 or 5 of Tukcom. Can't remember the name of the shop but near Kong computer repairs. My brother in law (Thai of course) ran the cable through 5 levels of our shop house in conduit etc. He also terminated and tested each cable. Everything fine. Message me if you want more details.

Hi I recently had a computer serviced by Kong computer repairs and would like to use their services again but have lost the business card, do you have a phone number/e-mail address for them?

Thanks

May

Hi I recently had a computer serviced by Kong computer repairs and would like to use their services again but have lost the business card, do you have a phone number/e-mail address for them?

Thanks

May

Hi Maynard,

Kongs' contact number is 085 - 389 3859. No email address on hi card but FB is www.facebook.com/pages/Kingkongcomputer.

If you head down there they've moved a couple of shops over. They were on 4th floor in the right hand sdie on one of the corners but have moved over to the left in the same area.

Just ask around for him and tell him Andrew says hi.

It's called "Domotica" they do CCTV, automation, video, IPTV, etc. including LAN technology.

They got pretty much everything, including shielded CAT 5e and shielded CAT 6 cables on order.

I realised you have what you need, but just in case anyone else is looking, I got Link-enhanced, outdoor, 5E patch cable form Tukcom, 4th floor. At the top of the escalator walk ahead to your right and it's the last shop on the right.

I've been using it for a fiber optic 40 Mbps CAT connection and there's no loss over my 30m cable.

I learned to put on my own plugs, which is very handy if you need to move cabling at any time. If you want to learn to do it yourself, you can buy the plugs and tools you need at Tukcom. Buy some extra cable and plugs too so you can practice a bit.

I realised you have what you need, but just in case anyone else is looking, I got Link-enhanced, outdoor, 5E patch cable form Tukcom, 4th floor. At the top of the escalator walk ahead to your right and it's the last shop on the right.

I've been using it for a fiber optic 40 Mbps CAT connection and there's no loss over my 30m cable.

I learned to put on my own plugs, which is very handy if you need to move cabling at any time. If you want to learn to do it yourself, you can buy the plugs and tools you need at Tukcom. Buy some extra cable and plugs too so you can practice a bit.

ok...

I don't know what "link enhanced" means - the "e" in 5e already means "enhanced".

"Outdoor" simply gets you a thicker cable, possibly with additional reinforcement against physical damage (tear). Outdoor cables are usually not electromagnetically shielded.

more details on shielding (copied from wikipedia):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

Twisted pair cables are often shielded in an attempt to prevent electromagnetic interference. Shielding provides an electric conductive barrier to attenuate electromagnetic waves external to the shield and provides conduction path by which induced currents can be circulated and returned to the source, via ground reference connection.

This shielding can be applied to individual pairs or quads, or to the collection of pairs. Individual pairs are foiled, while overall cable may use braided screen, foil, or braiding with foil.

ISO/IEC 11801:2002 (Annex E) attempts to internationally standardise the various designations for shielded cables by using combinations of three letters - U for unshielded, S for braided shielding, and F for foiled shielding - to explicitly indicate the type of screen for overall cable protection and for individual pairs or quads, using a two-part abbreviation in the form of xx/xTP.

When shielding is applied to the collection of pairs, this is usually referred to as screening, however different vendors and authors use different terminology, employing "screening" and "shielding" interchangeably; for example, STP (shielded twisted pair) or ScTP (screened twisted pair) has been used to denote U/FTP, S/UTP, F/UTP, SF/UTP and S/FTP construction.[4]

Because the shielding is made of metal, it may also serve as a ground. Usually a shielded or a screened twisted pair cable has a special grounding wire added called a drain wire which is electrically connected to the shield or screen. The drain wire simplifies connection to ground at the connectors.

An early example of shielded twisted-pair is IBM STP-A, which was a two-pair 150 ohm S/FTP cable defined in 1985 by the IBM Cabling System specifications, and used with token ring or FDDI networks.[4][5]

Common shielded cable types used by Cat. 6a, Cat.7 and Cat.8 cables include:

Shielded twisted pair (U/FTP) Also pair in metal foil. Individual shielding with foil for each twisted pair or quad. This type of shielding protects cable from external EMI from entering or exiting the cable and also protects neighboring pairs from crosstalk. Screened twisted pair (F/UTP, S/UTP and SF/UTP) Also foiled twisted pair for F/UTP. Overall foil, braided shield or braiding with foil across all of the pairs within the 100 Ohm twisted pair cable. This type of shielding protects EMI from entering or exiting the cable. Screened shielded twisted pair (F/FTP and S/FTP) Also fully shielded twisted pair, shielded screened twisted pair, screened foiled twisted pair, shielded foiled twisted pair. Individual shielding using foil between the twisted pair sets, and also an outer metal and/or foil shielding within the 100 Ohm twisted pair cable.[6] This type of shielding protects EMI from entering or exiting the cable and also protects neighboring pairs from crosstalk. Examples of common industry abbreviations Industry acronyms ISO/IEC 11801 name Cable screening Pair shielding UTP U/UTP none none STP, ScTP, PiMF U/FTP none foil FTP, STP, ScTP F/UTP foil none STP, ScTP S/UTP braiding none S-FTP, SFTP, STP SF/UTP braiding, foil none FFTP F/FTP foil foil SSTP, SFTP, STP PiMF S/FTP braiding foil

The code before the slash designates the shielding for the cable itself, while the code after the slash determines the shielding for the individual pairs:

U = unshielded F = foil shielding S = braided shielding (outer layer only) TP = twisted pair TQ = twisted pair, individual shielding in quads

Edited by manarak

I was reading that "link enhanced" off the actual cable. I'm not about to get into a debate about cabling and your Google search has turned up a lot of information written by people that know a lot more about LAN cables than I do. Thanks for cutting 'n pasting it though, but I had already seen that article.

I run the cable next to air conditioning ducts and electrical cables (in the same channels), and I have a perfect Internet connection without any data loss and I'm fastidious about my speed as I pay 6000 baht per month for my service, so I'm really concerned that I always get what I pay for - I test daily. If I see even a 1 Mbps drop I investigate. What more do I need and why? I have a direct comparison between LAN a few meters from my modem and one which runs outdoors (through this cable mentioned above) 30m long. There's no difference.

Interestingly, I have 2 LAN cables running the same path. The other one is a cheap indoor cable bought from the bargain bins and it performs just as well. I bought the outdoor cable to prevent weathering over time.

If there was a drop in speed due to cabling, the first thing I would check is the plug. I would join new plugs.

If there is going to be any interference worth worrying about, that probably won't become evident until you're using a gigabit connection, which is 25 times faster than my current connection speed.

Edited by tropo