For you flying in flying out people on oil exploration etc

My friend is working for an Oz company. They have recently introduced a scheme where they are making them fly back to their residence they put on their application form when applying. So my friend has to fly 7 hours in the opposite direction to where he wants to go.......T hailand. He has told them he doesn't want them to pay for his flights but they insist he has to take the flight. It offers a tax break to the company.

Can they make him do this? He has a pregnant wife here in Thailand and he wants to visit here not somewhere he no longer lives.

Advice please.

YES>>>>The Company in OZ can force him to, if only for compo and insurance reasons......They have to cover their bums too...

If he has an accident travelling in the opposite direction, to that specified, it can, and does, cause mayhem.

But having said that, if he has approached them and they declined, they would be the lousiest bastards in the world....but it happens.

Thank the friendly Insurance Brokers..

If they are paying for his flight ... they can make him fly where they want.

Plus, in Australia, Workers Compensation covers for for accident or injury to and from work.

That could also be a determining factor.

Yep Australian workcover had major issues when a guy died scuba diving outside of work hours, but still technically on the job cause he was working away from home. His wife claimed he wasn't at home, so compo should rightly be paid. She won, so she should imo.

Possibly the way around this is to get private insurance, may not be that easy if your not a contractor/sub contractor. Much much cheaper than worcover btw.

I would think he can go where he dam_n chooses on his off-duty time, but the company will only pay for the flight ticket to his listed off-duty domicile. So flying to Thailand would be out of his pocket.... I'm guessing he's already approached the HR dept. about changing the domicile?

As far as insisting that he take the flight, I wouldn't think it would be their call, but then it wouldn't be the first time a Human Resources department was less than pragmatic.

Edited by 715

I would think he can go where he dam_n chooses on his off-duty time, but the company will only pay for the flight ticket to his listed off-duty domicile. So flying to Thailand would be out of his pocket.... I'm guessing he's already approached the HR dept. about changing the domicile?

As far as insisting that he take the flight, I wouldn't think it would be their call, but then it wouldn't be the first time a Human Resources department was less than pragmatic.

He has approached HR and explained that taking the flight will mean he will miss his flight to Thailand. He booked the flight BEFORE they introduced this new rule. However they are adamant that he take the flight. He may resign over this.

As we all know HR departments are known for having their heads up their <deleted> and live in their own fantasy world, he needs to take this to a senior manager in the company outside of HR and get his contract ie his domicile changed

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I worked for an international oil company in australia. I'm australian but they flew me to LOS on my time off.

Never any problem with insurance etc

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

It's likely that they have already purchased his ticket home and don't want to incur the costs of rebooking, also the previously mentioned insurance liabilities. Large offshore companies do have a problem with some guys thinking they are travel agents with requests for last minute flight changes all to frequent.

Going forward the simplest way around this is to sign another contract with his domicle listed as Thailand.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i was offerd a job in oz,,

the cheeky basterds said i see you have said on your cv you live in thailoand,(this is a conversation on the phone)

i said i do, got wife kids and a bloody pig farm,

they then said that the company will only fly you to the uk or ireland,

i just said ok, youll be looking for somone else then,, crakers, they said they find thas some just say they live in thailand,,,

i cant remember the name of the company, but they wanted 60 welders, 60 pipefitters and supervision to go with them,,,lol

jake

i was offerd a job in oz,,

the cheeky basterds said i see you have said on your cv you live in thailoand,(this is a conversation on the phone)

i said i do, got wife kids and a bloody pig farm,

they then said that the company will only fly you to the uk or ireland,

i just said ok, youll be looking for somone else then,, crakers, they said they find thas some just say they live in thailand,,,

i cant remember the name of the company, but they wanted 60 welders, 60 pipefitters and supervision to go with them,,,lol

jake

Funny you mention this, I was approached years ago by a UK company to do 2 on 2 off in the North Sea, they had my CV, which has no ambiguity as to where I live - Thailand, money was ok etc etc, and one of the questions I asked them was out of curiosity was, it seems you want me that much you are prepared to fly back to Thailand every two weeks ?

Answer...Oh no, we are not flying you back to Thailand every two weeks, we expect you to live in the UK, if you want to fly back every 2 weeks, you pay for it yourself....blink.png

I respectfully declined the position and they couldn't understand why...facepalm.gif

• Like 1