Red shirts asked to stop promoting separatism: PM Yingluck

webfact

Red shirts asked to stop promoting separatism: PM
By Digital Content

13939340746744.jpg

BANGKOK, March 5 - Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said she has instructed the army to prevent any move toward separatism, and also asked the red shirt group to stop mentioning the issue.

Ms Yingluck made the remark following the army's move to file charges against the red shirt group in the North for allegedly instigating separatism.

The caretaker premier said she has instructed the army to ensure national security in all provinces, especially monitoring any unlawful activities to prevent any attempt of separatism.

Ms Yingluck however stated that equal practice must be applied to all groups without discrimination.

The caretaker premier said she has also warned all groups including the pro-government red shirts and ministers who raised the separatism ideas, adding that such idea was mentioned due to their resentment.

Meanwhile, anti-government People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) today announced its support for the army's move.

PDRC spokesman Akanat Promphan said he was disappointed with Ms Yingluck's remark blaming the army for applying a double-standard practice to take legal action against pro-separatism groups.

Mr Akanat reaffirmed that the PDRC has not violated the law and that the protesters are ready to shield the army from any impact from its move.

"It is the prime minister who applies double standards for failing to take any action against those people," the PDRC spokesperson said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-03-05

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PARTITION
Secession-call issue raised at Defence Council meet

The Nation

30228407-01_big.gif
Caretaker Prime Minister and Defence Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has a meal with top military brass during a Defence Council meeting yesterday.

BANGKOK: -- A meeting of the Defence Council yesterday comprising government figures and top military brass went smoothly, after initial fears of a confrontation over legal action being taken against pro-government red shirts by the Army over secession remarks.

Army chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha defended himself against criticism over his alleged favouritism of the anti-government movement.

He faced claims of Army inaction towards the activities and protests by the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), while legal action was taken against pro-government red shirts after their alleged calls for secession.

Prayuth said the caretaker government and anti-protest command had already dealt with the PDRC, while the Army initiated legal action against the secession call, which he said represented "clear and present danger".

After the meeting, Defence Ministry spokesman Colonel Paphathip Sawangsaeng quoted caretaker PM Yingluck Shinawatra, who is also caretaker defence minister, as vowing not to allow secession, or any violation of the Constitution. She instructed all security authorities, especially the Internal Security Operations Command, to act against the secession call "treating all political groups equally", said the colonel.

He said Yingluck thanked the military for performing its security duties and providing medical assistance during the protests. She repeated her call for the military to review the locations of military emplacements in Bangkok to make them appropriate to the situation and befitting the country's image.

She thanked the military for ordering troops to vote in the general election on February 2. She also praised military units in the far South for their handling of insurgency-related violence and called for support of royally initiated strategies to win over the local population in the region. She also asked the military to support the Senate election on March 30 and stay neutral in Thai politics.

The meeting was called by Yingluck and held at the Air Force main auditorium in northern Bangkok. The event discussed routine agendas and defence affairs as well as political issues, including the continuing PDRC protests, the coming senatorial candidacy registration and election, and secession calls by red-shirt groups and their reported mobilisation of men and equipment.

Before the meeting, Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul, as chief advisor of the government's Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order, called on Prayuth to deal with "rebels in the capital" in the same way that he had dealt with red shirts in the North who had made a secession call. He said that fair treatment of both groups would result in the country returning to order.

PDRC supporters in Phitsanulok, where banners promoting a secession call were posted at several locations, filed a complaint with police against caretaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan over his statement made at a red-organised rally on February 23. They claimed he delivered messages in favour of the secession call and said there were 10 million pistols in the possession of Thai people.

A civic anti-corruption group in Khon Kaen did the same, telling police that Charupong made similar statements on the next two days.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-05

Didn't they deny this yesterday? I'm sure some of the Thai Rouge posters also tried to blame Suthep?

This little genie might not be so easy to put back in the bottle now.

• Like 1

Didn't they deny this yesterday? I'm sure some of the Thai Rouge posters also tried to blame Suthep?

This little genie might not be so easy to put back in the bottle now.

The red shirt separatists' outright denials had way too many holes and any sort of condemnation has taken too long to believe their is any sincerity in it.

• Like 1

The reaction to pressing the "secession" button was interesting. If I were a redshirt, I'd be smiling at the panic caused to the oligarchy. Call it "autonomy" and figure out a proper strategy for the future. Some form of semi-autonomy may well be the price of peace.

No country has rules of secession written down as it undermines the nation state. There are many areas of the world that would be happier being liberated from their big brother - often with valid historical reasons.

This would also not be the first time that the Thai army has had to go and quell discontent up north; indeed, Chavalit was Commander-in-Chief the last time the army put down communist insurgents.

• Like 1

The reaction to pressing the "secession" button was interesting. If I were a redshirt, I'd be smiling at the panic caused to the oligarchy. Call it "autonomy" and figure out a proper strategy for the future. Some form of semi-autonomy may well be the price of peace.

No country has rules of secession written down as it undermines the nation state. There are many areas of the world that would be happier being liberated from their big brother - often with valid historical reasons.

This would also not be the first time that the Thai army has had to go and quell discontent up north; indeed, Chavalit was Commander-in-Chief the last time the army put down communist insurgents.

Another similarity - the communist insurgency was supported and funded by interests outside the country as well.

Edited by JRSoul
  • Like 1

All they want is a bit of independence for governors and taxes. Hardly ground breaking.

Not even thaksin sees the value in running a land locked bunch of hills.

• Like 1

Yingluk seems to have belatedly remembered the punishment for promoting secession, and is possible suffering from psychosomatic itchiness of the forearms, right where they insert the needles.

• Like 2

I don't think Yingluck has any interest in division by North/South anyway. She and Thaksin are far more interested in division by wealth, and imho Thaksin is part of the scene that wants to see the wealth division refined into just ruling-class and working-class worldwide, with the aspirational middle classes gradually eroded and pummelled down to join the unfortunate working-classes. None of the ultra-wealthy ruling-classes care about nation borders and the only time they are interested in splitting nations is when there is money to be made from it - which there isn't in Thailand. A fragmented Thailand would drown in higher corruption emanating from the new power centre/s, and would be weaker on many practical administrative levels too. It would be an expensive logistical nightmare, and would create new loopholes where money would go astray even worse than now.

• Like 1

Hold on, I thought this matter had already been resolved. Didn't I see a report from some eminent professor claiming that

it wasn't really a secession movement, just dyslexia on the part of the PDRC, and that Interior Minister Cahrupong had

'miss-spoken' on stage in Khon Kaen?

Edited by Bocking

Yingluck is giving the red shirts a lesson in politics 101.

Your not supposed to say out loud what your thinking and never say anything that could stick to you or so help us God should you ever be held accountable for.

Your supposed to slither like an eel and say anything but the truth.

I could picture Thaksin saying " Ai kwai, pood tum mai"

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 1

All they want is a bit of independence for governors and taxes. Hardly ground breaking.

I missed that article can you point it out.

BB must be worried for her to come out and say this. The Republic of Isan Lanna would be no more influential in ASEAN on it's own than Laos and he knows it. And there is always the possibility that the rest of Thailand might actually be in favour of a separate redshirt state as well and that is not in the Shinawat's script.

Edited by bigbamboo

If it is as simple and harmless as you imply........then why are 10 million pistols needed to accomplish this???

I don't understand, Yesterday Surapong said Reds never talk to separate now the premier ask them to call for this, I'm very disturbing..... w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Yep. That's the problem when you have so many people telling so many lies and changing the spin script too often. You get lots of contradictions!

Took them several days of secret discussions and no doubt frantic Skyping to come up with the latest shambles. One day deny it, say it was all a mistake, misunderstood, and the next ask them to stop doing - what you were denying they did the day before.

The public admission by the caretaker PM/DM that certain red shirt leaders and ministers were supporting the idea of separating the kingdom, an offence under the constitution will no doubt be used as evidence at their trials for treason.

The caretaker vows this and promises that so often - how many are ever kept?

The caretaker DPM,FM, Adviser to CMPO, and cousin number 1 seems not to understand the difference between a peaceful (largely except when attacked) protest calling for the resignation of a caretaker regime facing massive corruption probes and that has acted illegally and an armed terrorist movement threatening to mobilize large forces and orchestrate an armed rebellion to break up the country. Easy to confuse them I suppose!

• Like 1