brushcutter for heavy work

seajae

I need to clear a block of land(just over 1 rai) that has heavy weed/grass and small trees on it. In Australia you can buy blades that look like saw blades to drop the heavier crap and small trees but have no idea what is available here. I will also need to buy a good brushcutter. In Australia it was always hondas, havent found a local dealer yet(Surat Thani) but found a makita for 8000 baht. Probably prefer a 4 stroke so there is no mixing of fuel but open to suggestions, can anyone give me some ideas on which way I should go or what to buy. I will be getting a local to do most of the work due to my limitations but I want something reliable that will cut through everything.

Hi SJ,

I bought a Chinese copy of a Honda. Half price and all Honda spares fit. Woman who sold me mine, said I will have a Honda in a few years after a bit of maintenance, LOL. Looks the same so find a Honda then ask for the cheaper one. From memory about 4,500 baht and around 4.5HP. Steel blades are available everywhere, single slasher or saw tooth. Best ones are Swedish and pretty cheap. Local ones are rubbish, too soft. Must be 4 stroke to have the grunt and run under a million decibles. Must also have a straight shaft not a bent one.

IA

PS. Thais will bend the shaft quick enough.

Edited by IsaanAussie

I bought a Honda four stroke last year for about 6000 thb, in the province of Chaiyaphum. Wehave a extra round blade for it for the heavy work.

The name on the engine cover is from the factory, the motor is original Honda.

My friend is using it at the moment, so I will post the manufacer name tommorrow if you want.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Makita sells a 4 stroke. I'd buy it if I were looking to replace the cheap piece of crap that I cheaped out on, but it's not quite dead yet!

Buy it once or buy it twice. Your choice. I bought a cheap chainsaw too, I'll be buying another one. Some days I'm as dumb as I ever was and some days I'm a little smarter than that. The three things that I bought on dumb days all give me problems. The cheap weed whacker, the cheap chainsaw, and the cheap knock off Kubota (Golden Bow brand) motor.

None of my Makita tools have given me any problems. None of my real Kubotas give me problems. Buy it once or buy it twice. Saying that for myself as much as you :)

• Like 1

I love my Makita 2-stroke, BIG engine model. (They make normal and BIG.) Sound never bothered me. They include a real easy mixing container.

Just get an old 4 liter plastic engine oil jug, fill it with regular 91 octane, fill the mixing container to a line on it, fill higher to another line on it with 2-T oil, and you have 25:1 mix. Starts after sitting weeks on second pull. The guy at the shop said much stronger than a 4-stroke Honda. When I encounter a stand of smallish bamboo or largish reeds, I just rev it up and swing it through like a scythe. (If that's how you spell it.) Just bought a 14" blade of thinner stainless steel for cheap, to replace the 12" regular steel one. Great! Run it just above idle at smooth running speed for normal grass and weeds. Lovely. Straight shaft. I put 90 weight differential oil in the head gear. They say to use grease, but I obviously have my own ideas.

• Like 1

I have the four stroke GX35 Honda, I brought it about five years ago, and its done well...thumbsup.gif I got it at Home Mart... (Samui) but would think easily available in Surrat..... Blades of all shapes and kinds not usually to hard to find. I see people with the knock off cheapies, they never last.... facepalm.gif

Just make sure the local helpers, understand not to mix the gas! wink.png

Never seen a curved shaft here in Thailand.... that would be a great find... they are much easier on the back and to control !

• Like 1

Same comments as above, I would go for the Honda, unbeatable/unstoppable. Blades no problem. Have had the same situation and transformed jungle into pasture. Stick to what u know and proven is my 2 bob's worth.

• Like 1

OK I have a 30 rai farm here and tried ALL the "Brushcutters" the Honda 4 stroke (NOT A COPY) has cost more in repairs than the original price!!!

Bought a 4 stroke Robin now made by Subaru takes the hard work without any fuss. Had it on farm for 1 year and never missed a beat.

We use it on a farm NOT around a house it gets worked hard at every use.

Yes it was expensive but has NEVER cost a baht in repairs.

Gimbo2

• Like 1