Immigration office Samui

Having just completed yet another very unpleasant and stressful experience of Visa renewal for the umpteen time I understand that it is possible to go to the main office in Surat Thani to renew the Visa.

I have heard that the process there is quick, efficient, friendly and totally stress free!!! If this is so I would prefer to take a drive over there next time I renew

and turn it into an enjoyable night stop.

I would be most grateful for the views of anyone who has actually tried this and where the office is actually situated.

Thanks

Gator

I used to do my marriage visa , via my accountant , in Surat but this year they referred her to Samui and I expect next year I will deal with Khun Nok direct

Perhaps a new policy ?

Every year they require a different set of documents and this year I had to sign an agreement to allow them to check for any criminal record !

Having just completed yet another very unpleasant and stressful experience of Visa renewal for the umpteen time

I used to do my marriage visa

You can't renew a visa or "do a marriage visa" in Thailand. It would probably be less stressful if you understood what it was you were doing.

Many people manage to apply for or renew their extensions of stay without any difficulty because they take the time to understand what is required and they have everything in order ahead of time. Situations may differ from one office to another, but the process isn't that daunting.

I have heard that the process there is quick, efficient, friendly and totally stress free!!!

I have been using the Surat office for 10 years and in the beginning your statement would have been fairly accurate. Unfortunatly now it is just overrun with Burmese. I needed a residency certificate on monday to renew my driving license, so i arrived at 09.00am with my paperwork and was told immediatly by the immigration official that she could not do it for me as she was "too busy" and i should "come back tomorrow". This was no big deal for me as i live in town but if you have travelled over from samui to make your application then you might not feel the same way. On Monday there were approximatly 100 Burmese waiting and a few agents with arm loads of passports. This seems to increase every time i visit, i am even thinking of doing my 90 day report by post now! I have not used Samui immigration in over 20 years so i have no idea what it is like, Surat may still be a better option!

If you live on Samui or Phangan you must do all visa related things at Samui immigration. I just did my extension of stay and had no problems at all. As long as you have all of the correct paperwork it is a breeze. Oh, and I too had to sign a criminal record check (something new this year) which IMO is a good thing.

• Like 1

Samui immigration is an overcrowded bug hutch and badly needs upgrading. There is very little room inside and people have to 'spew' outside.

Only one reception desk and usually 2 girls to do a massive amount of work.

It is disgusting, especially considering the amount of money they must be taking daily. Maybe a good place to put them is in the new building opposite the pier which is the new customs building.

• Like 1

If you live on Samui or Phangan you must do all visa related things at Samui immigration. I just did my extension of stay and had no problems at all. As long as you have all of the correct paperwork it is a breeze. Oh, and I too had to sign a criminal record check (something new this year) which IMO is a good thing.

pretty true guavagirl - but just to add some info on that.

I live on Samui and my extension to stay is always sorted at Suratthani. My accountant does it for me. I stopped going to Samui when the birdman told me that it would cost more! I would rather pay my accountant (legally) than pay the birdman (illegally).

Just to add the extra info - if you live on Samui and want to do your own extension to stay - you must do it at Samui Immigration.

I used to do my marriage visa , via my accountant , in Surat but this year they referred her to Samui and I expect next year I will deal with Khun Nok direct

Perhaps a new policy ?

Every year they require a different set of documents and this year I had to sign an agreement to allow them to check for any criminal record !

Criminal record in your own county

I know it sounds like a stupid question but this is thailand

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

HI all 2 hours today I had to wait for 90 day report,with Mr Heubert /visa run burger man etc helping out calll the no,.s .Not the greatest way to spend an afternoonfacepalm.giffacepalm.gif my ext of stay is in May God knows how long that shall take coffee1.gif