Vietnam m'cycle trip

gw1

Hi. I am taking my Honda Phantom 200cc ( thai blue book in my nane) through Issan into Laos, into Vietnam, down the coast, into Cambodia and back into Thailand. ( about 3 weeks ish )

Any advice on doing this trip as I have heard about motorcycle passports and not being able to get into Vietnam on a small bike etc.

Also the best time of year to go, rain and heat etc.

Per my research, it is not impossible to temporarily import a bike into VM, only very, very difficult and expensive.

Tourists cannot get a VN drivers license, nor are international licenses good.

Otherwise, you are good to go.thumbsup.gif

cant take it into Vietnam,

Go to gt-riders forum for the most up to date info.

Also getting into Cambodia is allowed easily ONLY thru Osmach ( south of surin) and Koh KOng ( east of Trat) its hit or miss getting in at Poi pet,

Palin NO way

laos is easy. before u got the purple Transport book for the bike now not sure if it is issued or not.

gt has all the info u need

Edited by phuketrichard

For sure you and any other bikers should read my post and the recommendations I made there. I left Chiang Mai on December 26th and am now in Phnom Penh, Cambodia with my Honda CBR250R registered in my name in Thailand with its green book. If you want more information feel free to contact me.

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/39540-Quarantine-of-Motorbike-by-Cambodian-Customs?p=296985#post296985

Well, if your bike has a blue book, you are already riding illegal in Thailand.

Ask the guy you bought it from if he has a legal green book for you.

Getting off-topic, but since you seem to be in the know, can you quickly summarise what is required for a foreigner to legally own and ride a motorcycle in TH?

I just bought a Honda Forza from a dealer, who is currently taking care of the registration and insurance. I'd like to double-check the outcome of their work to be sure.

Also, is my Thai driver's license (Type 2) valid for riding motorcycles? (Or is it strictly for regular cars?)

@gw1, keep us posted on your planning. I'd like to take my bike up north soon as well. If you know of any scenic routes, do share.

Thanks.

Getting off-topic, but since you seem to be in the know, can you quickly summarise what is required for a foreigner to legally own and ride a motorcycle in TH?

I just bought a Honda Forza from a dealer, who is currently taking care of the registration and insurance. I'd like to double-check the outcome of their work to be sure.

Also, is my Thai driver's license (Type 2) valid for riding motorcycles? (Or is it strictly for regular cars?)

@gw1, keep us posted on your planning. I'd like to take my bike up north soon as well. If you know of any scenic routes, do share.

Thanks.

A car licence is for driving a car/pick-up truck and (surprice surprice) a motor bike licence is for riding a bike.

Just like the rest of the world.

Never ride a bike here without a valid licence, you pay if the shit hits the fan.

It's quite easy to have a bike/car in your own name, try search bike or car forum as it been debated many many times.

Thanks.

For a start, a bike should have a green book, not blue, the blue one is for a car.

So if the OP got a blue book with his bike, he got scammed.

3 week (ish) is too quick for that journey. You are not gonna see enough. 2 months would be a better experience. You wanna take it nice'n'easy in SE Asia. No racing around. But then you won't on a 200cc Phantom anyway. I still reckon one of the best bikes for a SE Asian tour, especially not major (boring) highways, is a Honda 100cc ish Wave.

Have to agree on this one. Three weeks is probably only enough time for one country. Assuming you've already seen Thailand and Isaan, you should target either Laos or Cambodia. I believe Laos to be a bit friendlier toward motorcycles coming and going, which is not to say they're particularly friendly or won't try to scam you when crossing the border. Just that the comings and goings may be easier there than with regard to Cambodia.

But then, if you haven't seen Isaan by bike yet, perhaps you should just do that. No concerns at all about importing/exporting motorcycles in that case.

• Like 1

I must say you are doing the right thing and getting out there and riding in other countries, there must be a ton of stuff to see in these countries, though border crossing does sound a bit complicated.

My first "bigish" bike here was a Phantom, though perhaps not a very good example and it gave me no end of trouble on trips, though much was caused by the useless Thai mechanics. I don't think the engine is a very strong design, so as others have said take it slowly, especially on the hills. A lot of Phantom first gear hills once you get out of Thailand.

I always found the Phantom comfortable though, certainly compared to the likes of the Wave, but a Wave will never go wrong.

Didn't someone say the lower limit for exporting bikes was 200cc, in which case does the Phantom, at 198cc qualify?

But good luck and don't overload it.

A year ago I rode thru Cambodia for 3.5 weeks: S'ville, PP, Siem Reap loop.

No real probs at borders or elsewhere.

125cc Suzuki.

Speed limit is 60kph there, so a small bike is fine.

More English spoken there than LOS.

Much less traffic in the country.

I'll try to get out of Thailand again for a bike trip in April to avoid Songkran.

Potential riding partners may PM me.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

3 week (ish) is too quick for that journey. You are not gonna see enough. 2 months would be a better experience. You wanna take it nice'n'easy in SE Asia. No racing around. But then you won't on a 200cc Phantom anyway. I still reckon one of the best bikes for a SE Asian tour, especially not major (boring) highways, is a Honda 100cc ish Wave.

i agree for vietnam as not easy to get your bike in but at least make it wave 125cc!

A year ago I rode thru Cambodia for 3.5 weeks: S'ville, PP, Siem Reap loop.

No real probs at borders or elsewhere.

125cc Suzuki.

Speed limit is 60kph there, so a small bike is fine.

More English spoken there than LOS.

Much less traffic in the country.

I'll try to get out of Thailand again for a bike trip in April to avoid Songkran.

Potential riding partners may PM me.

malaysia and vietnam are your only options then if you want to avoid april songkran period around thailand.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1