Will United Airlines deny boarding to an in-cabin rabbit without papers?

Always amazing Thailand. Has anyone taken an in-cabin pet out thru of Suvarnabhumi? Did anyone demand to see your export certificate?

About $350 out of pocket to comply with Thai regulations when I brought a pet rabbit into LOS from the USA in 2012. From previous trips, I knew going in that I could carry the bunny thru customs with no one saying a thing. But I was moving to a new country and felt obliged to follow their rules.

Now we're going back and and I'm hearing ALL pets must have an "export" certificate. Entails a trip to the airport within 3 days of leaving. Phoned the Animal station at Suvarnabhumi and they insisted this was the case, despite the FACT that the US has zero restrictions/requirements for bringing in pet rabbits. I asked if the Thai immigration officer would want to see the rabbits departure papers. And refuse to let him leave without them? Well, no, but United may not allow me to board.

I think that's unlikely. United certainly didn't care if "rabbit papers were in order" when we left the US for Thailand. Frankly, I'd be shocked if the airlines here were acting as a Thai enforcer.

Anyone have any experience?

Edited by mikeSilom

I think you should be more worried about what is going to happen to Br'er Rabbit when you get to the US, they have these friendly little beagles that sniff out food, plants, etc. for inbound passengers now and I am sure that USDA is going to want to see it's papers

post-10942-0-52677900-1394160386_thumb.p

The airlines will indeed ask to see your paperwork, though they are more interested in the health certificate issued by animal quarantine than the export certificate. You get both at the same time, and they will only accept a health certificate from Animal Quarantine so indeed, you do need to go to the airport 3-5 days in advance to arrange this. Cost is minimal (50 baht when last I did it -- though that was for a cat, don't know if anything different involved for a rabbit).

Not only will the airline ask to see this but when you pass through security and they see you have a pet they will often ask for the paperwork and also call the airline just to be sure all is in order and you have permission to bring the pet on board...permission that is never granted without the necessary certificates from Animal Quarantine. So there is no avoiding this, though it costs almost nothing.

The airlines will indeed ask to see your paperwork, though they are more interested in the health certificate issued by animal quarantine than the export certificate. You get both at the same time, and they will only accept a health certificate from Animal Quarantine so indeed, you do need to go to the airport 3-5 days in advance to arrange this. Cost is minimal (50 baht when last I did it -- though that was for a cat, don't know if anything different involved for a rabbit).

Not only will the airline ask to see this but when you pass through security and they see you have a pet they will often ask for the paperwork and also call the airline just to be sure all is in order and you have permission to bring the pet on board...permission that is never granted without the necessary certificates from Animal Quarantine. So there is no avoiding this, though it costs almost nothing.

Thank you Sheryl. Excellent confirmation. When we came in the import fee was 50 baht so I expect the same on the way out. The only issue has always been making the time for the trip so close to our departure this coming Saturday. This isn't a pleasure trip - we expect to be gone about 2 to 3 years. The bunny is pushing 8 years old so it's hard to say if he'll be with us next time. Though we have had one make it past 12. Overall, I'm going to miss Thailand. Thank again!